Disc calibration for a Samsung UA32B6000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-26-2013, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to adjust the picture settings for my Samsung UA32B6000 LED/LCD TV. It has a 32 Inch screen size.

I was attempting to play Splinter Cell Blacklist on the TV yesterday but when trying to adjust a slider left and right asking " Adjust the slider until the text in the middle box is just barely visible, and the text in the left box disappears ". No matter how much i adjust the slider i can't see anything and everything is too dark.

I have both the DVE: HD Basics disc and the Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark. When i was attempting to calibrate the display with the DVE HD Basics disc it has several patterns which ask you to put on different colored filters? This is where i got lost all i have is the disc and no other accessories was the disc supposed to have come with any other accessories?. The Spears & Munsil disc appears to be a lot more advanced.

What are people's opinions on which is the better disc for calibrating the picture settings for my type of TV?

Thank You.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-26-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
to see shadow details correctly in that game (and any source or game for that matter) you'll want to set brightness correctly using a black clipping pattern or pluge and your eyes AND the brightness control on the TV (you could also then adjust the gamma setting on the TV up or down based on how much shadow detail you can see with most sources... and if you change gamma you'll want to recheck brightness)

after the display is set correctly, you can decide whether or not to use the in-game brightness and/or gamma sliders using the in-game test pattern

of course there are many other settings to calibrate with a test pattern disc like contrast, sharpness, color/tint, and picture size/aspect ratio (set to screen fit on Samsungs)
post #3 of 15 Old 08-26-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMX23 View Post

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to adjust the picture settings for my Samsung UA32B6000 LED/LCD TV. It has a 32 Inch screen size.

I was attempting to play Splinter Cell Blacklist on the TV yesterday but when trying to adjust a slider left and right asking " Adjust the slider until the text in the middle box is just barely visible, and the text in the left box disappears ". No matter how much i adjust the slider i can't see anything and everything is too dark.

I have both the DVE: HD Basics disc and the Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark. When i was attempting to calibrate the display with the DVE HD Basics disc it has several patterns which ask you to put on different colored filters? This is where i got lost all i have is the disc and no other accessories was the disc supposed to have come with any other accessories?. The Spears & Munsil disc appears to be a lot more advanced.

What are people's opinions on which is the better disc for calibrating the picture settings for my type of TV?

Thank You.

Try to disable Dynamic Contrast Mode or Black Enchancement, maybe this is crushing your black.

Also check your current Console Video Settings comparing your values with the suggested ones you can find at various game console threads.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #4 of 15 Old 08-27-2013, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

Try to disable Dynamic Contrast Mode or Black Enchancement, maybe this is crushing your black.

Also check your current Console Video Settings comparing your values with the suggested ones you can find at various game console threads.

The only picture option related to Black Level that i see in the TV's settings is named "HDMI Black Level" it can be set to Normal or Low. On normal the picture appears overly bright on Low it appears more suited. I have had it on Low since i purchased the TV.

The console video settings i have set as 1080p resolution. There is an option for setting HDMI Color Space which is set to Auto. Ican also be set to Source, RGB, YCbCr709 and YCbCr601 which is used for HD and SD movies respectfully.

Also there is an option for adjusting the consoles Reference Levels it was set to Expanded.On xbox.com it mentions this refers to color quality. It can be set to standard, intermediate and expanded.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906663

Someone in another forum mentioned this:

"Your tv would be ideally suited to standard or expanded.

Standard outputs in the range of 16-235, commonly referred to as limited range or video range. Intermediate outputs in the range of 8-245, a weird compromise between limited range and full range. Expanded outputs in the range of 0-255, commonly referred to as full range.

Intermediate doesnt meet any standard as its a microsoft made up setting.

Personally ive set mine to standard as i can see black crush going on in dark scenes on expanded."

So it was this particular setting on Expanded that was crushing my blacks. Appears fine now on Standard.

post #5 of 15 Old 08-27-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only picture option related to Black Level that i see in the TV's settings is named "HDMI Black Level" it can be set to Normal or Low. On normal the picture appears overly bright on Low it appears more suited. I have had it on Low since i purchased the TV.

The console video settings i have set as 1080p resolution. There is an option for setting HDMI Color Space which is set to Auto. Ican also be set to Source, RGB, YCbCr709 and YCbCr601 which is used for HD and SD movies respectfully.

Also there is an option for adjusting the consoles Reference Levels it was set to Expanded.On xbox.com it mentions this refers to color quality. It can be set to standard, intermediate and expanded.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906663

Someone in another forum mentioned this:

"Your tv would be ideally suited to standard or expanded.

Standard outputs in the range of 16-235, commonly referred to as limited range or video range. Intermediate outputs in the range of 8-245, a weird compromise between limited range and full range. Expanded outputs in the range of 0-255, commonly referred to as full range.

Intermediate doesnt meet any standard as its a microsoft made up setting.

Personally ive set mine to standard as i can see black crush going on in dark scenes on expanded."

So it was this particular setting on Expanded that was crushing my blacks. Appears fine now on Standard.

Standard levels on the xbox works with HDMI Black Level Low and Expanded levels on the xbox works with HDMI Black Level Normal (this of course only applies to RGB signals... neither of these settings have any impact for YCbCr signals)
MetalMX23 likes this.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-27-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

Standard levels on the xbox works with HDMI Black Level Low and Expanded levels on the xbox works with HDMI Black Level Normal (this of course only applies to RGB signals... neither of these settings have any impact for YCbCr signals)

That is really good to know thanks.

Would you agree that the DVE HD Basics disc is more suited to the general public and that the Spears & Munsil disc is for calibrators or those with some kind of knowledge base on the subject?

Anyway i will go through the DVE HD Basics basic calibration section and if i have any issues i will post back here.

post #7 of 15 Old 08-27-2013, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

Would you agree that the DVE HD Basics disc is more suited to the general public and that the Spears & Munsil disc is for calibrators or those with some kind of knowledge base on the subject?

Anyway i will go through the DVE HD Basics basic calibration section and if i have any issues i will post back here.
I have Spears 2nd Edition, and DVE. I think that Spears is easier to navigate and has plenty of explanations for a beginner.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-27-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the Spears and Munsil 2nd Edition and I've rented the DVE HD Basics BR from Netflix a few times before. The Spears and Munsil disc is very good for those new to calibration since it has a basic section in addition to the more advanced ones. The DVE HD Basics is less comprehensive and a bit less user-friendly for those new to calibration (it's also much older).
MetalMX23 likes this.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-27-2013, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Also, Spears and Munsil have posted on their web site more detailed information on how to use their 2nd Edition patterns. The first five articles, "Getting started with the HD Benchmark" to "Setting color and tint", cover the basic picture controls.

http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/2nd-edition-articles/
post #10 of 15 Old 08-28-2013, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have the Spears and Munsil 2nd Edition and I've rented the DVE HD Basics BR from Netflix a few times before. The Spears and Munsil disc is very good for those new to calibration since it has a basic section in addition to the more advanced ones. The DVE HD Basics is less comprehensive and a bit less user-friendly for those new to calibration (it's also much older).

Good info. Much Appreciated Plasma!

biggrin.gif

post #11 of 15 Old 08-28-2013, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So i should use Standard with black levels low and Expanded with black levels normal?

Which setting would give me the better Picture Quality in general for gaming?

post #12 of 15 Old 08-28-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So i should use Standard with black levels low and Expanded with black levels normal?

Which setting would give me the better Picture Quality in general for gaming?

in general, both should be identical but most here will recommend standard with hdmi black level low since TVs are video displays first and PC monitors second (and standard is 16-235 video levels)
post #13 of 15 Old 08-28-2013, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

in general, both should be identical but most here will recommend standard with hdmi black level low since TVs are video displays first and PC monitors second (and standard is 16-235 video levels)

I see. Once i go through the Spears & Munsil DVD i will post back here as well as if i have any issues.

post #14 of 15 Old 10-16-2013, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

Going through the Spears & Munsil Calibration disc is daunting. Trying to set these settings for a beginner i have found quite difficult and could not manage to set any of the picture settings correctly.

Can anyone give me "ballpark" picture settings for a LED/LCD TV in terms of where Contrast, Brightness, Colour, Sharpness and Backlight should be for the average LED/LCD TV?

I am not talking specific settings rather ranges which these settings should be in relation to each other e.g. Contrast is usually 60-80 etc.

post #15 of 15 Old 11-01-2013, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

The Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark disc sucks for a beginner. I have just ordered the 2nd Edition it looks a lot more user friendly and with way more settings a person can tweak.

Whoever is reading into this thread If you've used the S&M 2nd Edition tell me what you think of it... i'd be interested to know peoples reviews/opinions.

Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr709
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page