Help Needed With 10 Point Interval White Balance - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-10-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a relative newbie when it comes to tv calibration, but I didn't like any of the factory presets (though "movie" came close) on my recently purchased Samsung mid-level LED/LCD (40" F6300 Series).

So, like a newb, I come across the LCD TV Buying Guide site and figure I'd try one of their calibrations out.

I come across this - http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/samsung-lcd-tv/samsung-f6300-picture-settings.html

They don't have one for my specific size, and I don't know if the size of the set they calibrate is one that participates in Samsung's infamous "panel lottery" (from previous research on this site, I don't believe my smallish size does), nor whether such a thing would completely throw off the calibration (depending on whether you had the same panel as the set they were adjusting).

However, I figure it's close enough to warrant a try-out.

The problem is, they seem to have committed some typos, and don't indicate whether the values listed for three of the intervals in the 10 point white balance section should be positive or negative. I've looked at other calibration recommendations by them, and can't find another that "forgets" to indicate a positive or negative value.

Knowing jack-all about calibrating a 10 point white balance scale, I come begging the experts on AVS as to whether, just by looking at the relative values of the other intervals (as well as the more general rgb white balance offsets & gains), you can tell what was likely intended for those three intervals.

Thanks for any education/enlightenment/help you can provide on this (I'd try contacting the site, or Robert Wiley, [most likely the former] but I somehow doubt such a communication would both reach them and interest them enough to do anything about it)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-11-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 490
I see plusses and minuses in the setting so not sure what the question is ? Also white balance settings are unique to each tv and generally do not transfer well

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #3 of 6 Old 09-11-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Greetings

The statistics say you have a less than 4% chance of ending up better than the stock movie mode on the tv. Which means you have a 96% chance of ending up no better than the movie mode or worse than the stock movie mode.

This is all moot though if you have no intention to verify if the end result is actually more accurate than stock. You just end up randomly picking something that pleases you ... and that has nothing to do with calibration at all.

http://www.tlvexp.ca/2012/12/the-fruits-of-copying-settings-the-pioneer-lottery/

regards
PE06MCG likes this.

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #4 of 6 Old 09-11-2013, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
http://www.tlvexp.ca/2012/12/the-fruits-of-copying-settings-the-pioneer-lottery/

Why copying settings does not work in the vast majority of cases

Edit: michael beat me to it tongue.gif
post #5 of 6 Old 09-11-2013, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

I see plusses and minuses in the setting so not sure what the question is ?
Intervals #1, #3, & #8 don't indicate positive or negative values...
post #6 of 6 Old 09-12-2013, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 490
My guess would be those are postive values but in the end it is not going to make a substancial difference anyway as others have indicated using shared settings does not work 9 times out of 10.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page