Want to do my own calibrations... what equipment would I need? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 09-18-2013, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm really good with technology... I build my own computers, and keep up quite a bit with the audio/video world. I've watched people do ISF calibrations on my TV, and I've said to myself, "I could totally do that on my own if I had the right equipment." As a matter of fact, I actually caught a few things one of the techs did incorrectly, and got a "Huh, you're right!" response smile.gif

What would be the lowest amount of money I could spend and get a halfway decent setup? I don't mind buying used (actually, I would prefer it if it saves a lot of money). I don't necessarily need the hottest equipment possible, just something that would put me beyond the "eyeballing the Digital Video Essentials DVD" stage.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-18-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 113
This thread is about the 2 types of meters that one can and should buy and may be helpful for you.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1487208/colorimeters-and-spectrographs-questions/0_100

It does go off a bit after the first few posts but still you need to understand why folks will suggest you buy both a colorimeter and spectro.

So to answer you question, You need a meter that is accurate, software that will work with the meter and a reference source for patterns like a BR player. There is free software that works with a couple of meters and there is commercial software that is fully support and actively being developed.
You also need to learn what to do and why. I started with a C6 meter and Calman when then added a used i1pro and bought a new BRP. Total someplace over $1000
post #3 of 17 Old 09-18-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Greetings

An article to read about options.

You've decided on the DIY path so what next ...

Get your own gear and software and learn the rest of it yourself. The hardware and software will not magically spring hands to do this stuff for you. Add to that ... hammers don't come with instructions on building a house.

Learn it yourself the slow way ... or learn faster with less misunderstanding by getting some level of professional level training (Starts at $100-150 depending on where you look).

And if you think you know it all already ... please take this little calibration knowledge quiz to see where you stand.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #4 of 17 Old 09-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

So to answer you question, You need a meter that is accurate, software that will work with the meter and a reference source for patterns like a BR player. There is free software that works with a couple of meters and there is commercial software that is fully support and actively being developed.
You also need to learn what to do and why. I started with a C6 meter and Calman when then added a used i1pro and bought a new BRP. Total someplace over $1000

Hmm, so doing it with a properly setup Playstation 3 is not wise?
post #5 of 17 Old 09-18-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post

Hmm, so doing it with a properly setup Playstation 3 is not wise?

A properly setup Playstation 3 along with pattern disk should be fine for your source device. The pattern disk you can download for free.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-18-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwicker7 View Post

I'm really good with technology... I build my own computers, and keep up quite a bit with the audio/video world. I've watched people do ISF calibrations on my TV, and I've said to myself, "I could totally do that on my own if I had the right equipment." As a matter of fact, I actually caught a few things one of the techs did incorrectly, and got a "Huh, you're right!" response smile.gif

What would be the lowest amount of money I could spend and get a halfway decent setup? I don't mind buying used (actually, I would prefer it if it saves a lot of money). I don't necessarily need the hottest equipment possible, just something that would put me beyond the "eyeballing the Digital Video Essentials DVD" stage.

Thanks!

In his post above, airscapes linked a Thread with this info, I'll post here for easy navigation:

I always recommend a i1Pro (i1 Pro 2) Spectrometer, even a used i1Pro Rev D ($250-$450) is great. ColorMunki Spectro is my 2nd recommendation.

Why a Spectro, see why here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1373556/i1-pro-or-d3-if-you-could-only-have-one-meter

http://www.tlvexp.ca/2012/04/do-calibration-tables-really-work-for-tri-stim-devices/

And Read these Threads:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449310/eye-one-pro-or-display-3-pro

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464411/what-would-you-rather-have-for-display-calibration

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #7 of 17 Old 09-19-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, everyone.

I kind of flunked that test... there is a lot more to this than I thought. I think the main reason I want to do it myself is that even the best calibrator I've had didn't really know my service menu that well (one of them actually claimed there WASN'T a service menu on my model lol), and, while he did a great job on the main input I used (ps3), he told me it wasn't necessary to do each input on it's own, so I had the same calibration for my HDMI ps3 that I did for my component GameCube.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-19-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

I'm looking on Amazon right now, and I see everything from i1 Display Pro (at $249) to i1 Basic Pro ($1,004) to i1 Photo Pro ($1499). I just want to calibrate a plasma TV and my computer monitor. Which one would I want? I have access to a laptop... would that be all I need, or is there anything else I'd have to purchase?
post #9 of 17 Old 09-19-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Greetings

Doing poorly and admitting it are two different things. smile.gif It is one thing to arrive at a correct answer, but it is better that you actually understand just why it is the correct answer. Without the understanding, you just find yourself playing the part of a human parrot. Answers without the understanding don't mean a whole lot.

regards

post #10 of 17 Old 09-19-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Greetings

If you want a spectrometer, then the $1000+ units are it. If you want a colorimeter, then the $250 thing is it. If you buy it at retail, they all should come with wizard based software that helps you to calibrate the computer monitor. They will not help you to calibrate the main TV ... unless you keep that computer connected to the tV all the time and do everything through your computer interface.

For TV, you need software ... be it the Calman program or the Chromapure program or the free HCFR program. If you buy the spectrometers, you will have to buy the more expensive versions of the calman software ... for instance.

And hammers don't teach you how to build a house and there is more to calibration than just having a meter and software. You need the wetware behind that to do it right.

Time to learn more ... and this will be based on how much you value your own time. If you place little value on it ... then take the self discovery route and learn it all by yourself ... scrounging around for tidbits of knowledge here and there. IF your time is worth more to you ... and you actually want to arrive at a properly set up TV sooner rather than later, then you need to get the professional level training.

Regards

post #11 of 17 Old 09-19-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

post #12 of 17 Old 09-19-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Greetings

For that price, I'd rather get a colormunki spectro ($400) and the enthusiast software for $400 and use free test discs. You are not in a hurry. More accuracy ...

Or get their i1 pro spectro bundle ... for less ... and use a disc again. more accurate ...

These OEM ones will not help you do your computer monitor though ...

STill can get a used i1 pro spectro for $400 or less ...

regards

post #13 of 17 Old 09-19-2013, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

For test discs, I can just use Digital Video Essentials, correct? I already own it.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-19-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Greetings

No ... likely get the free AVSHD disc. Download and burn to a DVD. It plays back as a BD.

regards

post #15 of 17 Old 09-25-2013, 06:13 PM

Liked: 23
Michael where can I get i1pro for that price, I thought spectracal i1pro2 enhanced bundle is a good price since it comes with enthusiast license.
post #16 of 17 Old 09-25-2013, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Greetings

Get the spectracal i1 pro 2 bundle ... better than that one with the c6 and the dpg.

used i1 pros are often found on ebay.

regards

post #17 of 17 Old 09-25-2013, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Very professional- Michael TLV.