2013 LG 60LN5710 Calibration / Best Settings? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-25-2013, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Good Morning everyone - This is my first post so I wasn't sure whether to put this under display calibration or under the LCD Flat Panel section.

I just purchased a 60" LG from Best Buy for $899 yesterday. Read very good reviews about it and decided to give it a try. Watched standard TV last night (I'm moving and not sure if I'm going to transfer my current cable provider so I haven't upgraded to HD yet), and I didn't see any problems with it in regards to lighting issues like people were saying with other TVs in the similar size range.

I'm looking to get the best settings for this model (or one very similar). In my new house I'm moving into next week the TV will be on my living room wall which has 8 windows in that room, so it will be a bright room. I've searched the forum for " XXLN5710" and "60LN5710", however couldn't seem to find much on this particular model. Also was looking on various sites I found on Google but no luck with this model. I looked at a similar model but that one has that dual XD engine so I didn't think that would apply.

If someone could provide input on this model number or one close to it to enhance the "out of the box" settings I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-25-2013, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Greetings

Welcome to the forum. This is a good article to read on the benefits of copying settings.

http://www.tlvexp.ca/2012/12/the-fruits-of-copying-settings-the-pioneer-lottery/

The short of it is that you have a less than 4% chance of ending up better than the stock cinema/movie setting in the tv. conversely, you have a greater than 96% chance of ending up no better or worse than the stock mode in the TV.

Without anyway to verify if you are actually one of the lucky ones ... even if you do end up in that 4% ... it wouldn't matter since you have no way of knowing .. and no desire to know as well. Like having a lottery ticket and telling everyone you are a winner ... problem is ... you don't want to verify if the ticket is actually a winner. You just choose to believe it.

Your real options to get to a better picture can be learned from this article.

http://www.tlvexp.ca/2013/03/poor-tv-picture-quality-not-happy/

which summarized is:

1. buy a test disc and learn how to use it
2. buy hardware and software and spend maybe a year to learn how to use it correctly ... and you will eventually get to a properly set up tv.
3. hire a professional to do it.
4. buy the hardware and software and pay for professional level training to get to that end result much faster and with greater confidence. (Pro training can cost anywhere from $100 to $2000 and just because it costs more does not mean it is better.)

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #3 of 6 Old 09-25-2013, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 93
There is a persistent and popular myth in the home theater hobbyist community that using the settings values from another TV of the same make and model will result in better picture quality. In reality, defaulting to the factory "Cinema" or similar picture mode is just as good a "baseline" from which to start. Such modes typically come close to the right color temperature and turns off unneeded picture "enhancements." It has been documented that, in some cases, copied settings actually resulted in poorer picture performance is some regards. These links discuss how this can happen and how copying settings is still just a roll of the dice:

'Sharing display menu settings?'
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055906

http://www.tlvexp.ca/2012/12/the-fruits-of-copying-settings-the-pioneer-lottery/

'Why copying settings from the web won't get you a calibrated TV'

http://forums.hdtvtest.co.uk/index.php?topic=7202.0
post #4 of 6 Old 09-25-2013, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I guess my ignorance came from this a) being my first LED TV b) first TV of any value (over 40"), and c) reading other forums/reviews when doing research and people would be sharing their menu settings. For me, it seemed logical. Since best buy was selling their calibration service for somewhere around the $200 range I figured this was a service that could actually benefit your TV's picture quality. Not wanting to spend the $200 I thought I could turn towards the forum to get some input for a DIY method. I'll read the articles now. Being a first time owner I was reading reviews and hearing these calibration buzzwords like "black values" or "eco-mode" and then your normal things like adjusting contrast, brightness, etc. and had assumed it was something that everyone did. Thank you for educating me.

post #5 of 6 Old 09-25-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by drake917 View Post

Thanks for the input. I guess my ignorance came from this a) being my first LED TV b) first TV of any value (over 40"), and c) reading other forums/reviews when doing research and people would be sharing their menu settings. For me, it seemed logical. Since best buy was selling their calibration service for somewhere around the $200 range I figured this was a service that could actually benefit your TV's picture quality. Not wanting to spend the $200 I thought I could turn towards the forum to get some input for a DIY method. I'll read the articles now. Being a first time owner I was reading reviews and hearing these calibration buzzwords like "black values" or "eco-mode" and then your normal things like adjusting contrast, brightness, etc. and had assumed it was something that everyone did. Thank you for educating me.

There is an area here where people do share settings, and you mentioned it in your first post: the Flat Panel area. Search for a users/settings thread for your model and check it out. This particular area of the forum is really for those who want to develop their own settings by using test discs and/or equipment.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #6 of 6 Old 09-25-2013, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Rolls-Royce as mentioned I did search using my model number but couldn't find any which is why I started a new thread.  I can't be the only one on here with this TV model, but I couldn't find any others!

Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Lg 60ln5710
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page