Help a noob out =) What are the basics for following someone else's calibration guide? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-30-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi!

I just bought my first "real" tv, a Panasonic ST60. I just finished the 100 hours of break-in using D'Nice's slides. I've never actually calibrated a tv before, and in the mountain of information, I find myself a bit confused.

I'm definitely not trying to tweak settings or use instruments to produce the perfect image for my living room... I'm just trying to input D'Nice's settings to for a better picture than the default settings.

Do I do this with a calibration disk, or through the tv's own advanced settings menu (that apparently I would have to input a code on a remote, etc, to access)? If I do need a disk, is there a fairly user friendly free one that anyone would suggest?

Finally, is there anything I need to know to avoid bricking my tv? Once again, I'm not trying to custom tweak settings, I simply plan on putting in D'Nice's settings and getting the heck out of there.

Thanks for your help! Support your local noobs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-30-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 113
If you are using D-Nice's methodology, why are you not asking him to explain it further? Most of us here in this section of the forum understand that it is not a reliable way to achieve an accurate image. That has become a popular myth in the home theater community. Most professional calibrators don't recommend copying others' settings. Use the "Cinema" or "Movie" mode, or equivalent. Then get a calibration disc or download the AVS HD709 program onto a DVDR. Follow the tutorials: using your TV, in your viewing conditions, using your disc player and related connected gear.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-30-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sounds good to me, thanks! Like I said... very new to this. And could barely afford the tv, much less professional calibration.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-30-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFatMayo View Post

Sounds good to me, thanks! Like I said... very new to this. And could barely afford the tv, much less professional calibration.
There are alternatives to professional services that can take you part way to the best performance from your display. The free programs available here in the forum offer good learning and a way for you to get by without hiring a pro or purchasing instruments and software to attempt the process on your own.
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page