UN75F8000afxza calibration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 10-03-2013, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wanted to get an opinion to see if my calibration looks good. It was a free calibration from geek squad or what not. I attached the file. Calibration.pdf 1030k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Calibration.pdf (1.01 MB, 89 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-03-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Gamma and cms could be better.
What has me more concerned though is the brightness and contrast settings. They make me suspect a levels mismatch with the calibrator's pattern generator, which could mean big problems for your sources.
post #3 of 22 Old 10-03-2013, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

What has me more concerned though is the brightness and contrast settings. They make me suspect a levels mismatch with the calibrator's pattern generator, which could mean big problems for your sources.

Can you elaborate more on the brightness and contrast settings? Should they be on a different level?
post #4 of 22 Old 10-03-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Also the color profile, he just changed it to auto and left it at that. And that's the post calibrated graph is showing.
post #5 of 22 Old 10-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Isn't the brightness usually somewhere in the 40s for Samsung's? 42- 43 minimum. Usually 45 is the sweet spot for Movie.
post #6 of 22 Old 10-03-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsxownes View Post

Can you elaborate more on the brightness and contrast settings? Should they be on a different level?
Examples of mis-matched levels would be if he output 0-255 from his generator where 0 is reference black and 255 is reference white and your display was expecting 16-235 levels where 16 is reference black and 235 is reference white. Or the opposite and he output 16-235 from his generator and your display was expecting 0-255. Mis-matching your levels while calibrating will cause you to compensate and use an incorrect brightness/contrast setting, so when you go to use a device with matching levels between display/device (like they should be), the picture will be completely wrong... either the picture will be washed out, or you will have severe detail loss. You need to have your the display expect the same levels that the device is outputting.
Chad B likes this.
post #7 of 22 Old 10-03-2013, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm so what should I do?
post #8 of 22 Old 10-03-2013, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

When I use my computer I do use full RGB 0-255 and set the TV to normal HDMI to accept that. other than that I just let the TV auto pick for whatever I'm using. Now I'm doubting his calibration with these comments, I mean the graphs look good to me but I don't know anything about calibrating.
post #9 of 22 Old 10-03-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I would download the MP4 version of AVSHD709 on your computer, take the black clipping test pattern (it's in the basic setup folder) and put it on a USB stick. Play it on your TV's built in media player via USB and see if his brightness setting is right. Obviously make sure that his calibration settings are plugged in when you're on the media player. Alternatively you can burn the AVC or HDMV versions to a DVDR/BDR and play it in your Blu-Ray player. You'll want to set the brightness so that 16 blends to black and 17 is barely visible.

If it's wrong, I would call them back and tell them that the levels were not matched to your display and make them redo the calibration. You can have nice looking results on calibration reports, but if the levels were not matched during calibration, the picture will be off for when the levels do match (as they should).
post #10 of 22 Old 10-03-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

I would download the MP4 version of AVSHD709 on your computer, take the black clipping test pattern (it's in the basic setup folder) and put it on a USB stick. Play it on your TV's built in media player via USB and see if his brightness setting is right. Obviously make sure that his calibration settings are plugged in when you're on the media player. Alternatively you can burn the AVC or HDMV versions to a DVDR/BDR and play it in your Blu-Ray player. You'll want to set the brightness so 16 blends to black and 17 is barely visible.

If it's wrong, I would call them back and tell them that the levels were not matched to your display and make them redo the calibration. You can have nice looking results on calibration reports, but if the levels were not matched during calibration, the picture will be off for when the levels do match (as they should).

I'll try it out soon, thanks.
post #11 of 22 Old 10-03-2013, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

So I did what you suggested. I had to turn the brightness up to 45-46 to get it to what should be flashing. Does this mean he had it set to limited RGB, or full RGB?
post #12 of 22 Old 10-03-2013, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I would download the MP4 version of AVSHD709 on your computer, take the black clipping test pattern (it's in the basic setup folder) and put it on a USB stick. Play it on your TV's built in media player via USB and see if his brightness setting is right. Obviously make sure that his calibration settings are plugged in when you're on the media player. Alternatively you can burn the AVC or HDMV versions to a DVDR/BDR and play it in your Blu-Ray player. You'll want to set the brightness so that 16 blends to black and 17 is barely visible.

So I did what you suggested. I had to turn the brightness up to 45-46 to get it to what should be flashing. Does this mean he had it set to limited RGB, or full RGB? Does this throw off the whole calibration?
post #13 of 22 Old 10-03-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, unfortunately.
post #14 of 22 Old 10-03-2013, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes, unfortunately.

So I can't just change it to 45 to correct it? Or are all the settings literally worthless and have to all be calibrated.
post #15 of 22 Old 10-03-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsxownes View Post

So I can't just change it to 45 to correct it? Or are all the settings literally worthless and have to all be calibrated.
For the most part, yes. Pretty much all of the picture controls affect some other aspect of the picture, so simply correcting the brightness and contrast doesn't keep everything else as good as it was before. I highly recommend getting them to come back... a re-calibration is justified.
post #16 of 22 Old 10-04-2013, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

For the most part, yes. Pretty much all of the picture controls affect some other aspect of the picture, so simply correcting the brightness and contrast doesn't keep everything else as good as it was before. I highly recommend getting them to come back... a re-calibration is justified.

I rescheduled for them to come back and re-calibrate the TV. They won't be able to come till the 31st of this month though, this time I'll ask him and verify that he is matching levels with my TV. Is there a specific term that refers to these levels that are supposed to match? I also appreciate the responses, I know it's a free calibration from some Bestbuy deal, but the job needs to be done correctly. For now I'll put the brightness to 45, should I also change the contrast?
post #17 of 22 Old 10-04-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Tell them to make sure that their pattern generator outputs the same RGB range as your display is expecting.

For now, correct the Brightness (as you have) and Contrast. You can also play with the Color/Tint because I believe the higher-end Samsungs have an R, G, B isolation mode (ie Red only, Green only and Blue only modes). You can use the color isolation with the flashing color bars pattern (basic setup folder) to set color/tint. Read the AVSHD709 patterns manual for instructions.

Setting the Contrast is a bit different than setting Brightness. The white clipping pattern basically just tells you how bright you can set the Contrast, but everyone's eyes and viewing environments are different. So to set the contrast, you basically want to avoid 3 things:
1. Clipping white detail
2. Discoloration / color shifting
3. Eye fatigue from excessive brightness

Keep in mind that video uses a range of 16-235, so it's not critical that you have all bars flashing, but you want as many flashing as possible unless you can't reach your desired brightness level. Setting the contrast too high can also cause the bars to change to a pink color... you'll want to avoid that as well.
post #18 of 22 Old 10-04-2013, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Tell them to make sure that their pattern generator outputs the same RGB range as your display is expecting.

For now, correct the Brightness (as you have) and Contrast. You can also play with the Color/Tint because I believe the higher-end Samsungs have an R, G, B isolation mode (ie Red only, Green only and Blue only modes). You can use the color isolation with the flashing color bars pattern (basic setup folder) to set color/tint. Read the AVSHD709 patterns manual for instructions.

Setting the Contrast is a bit different than setting Brightness. The white clipping pattern basically just tells you how bright you can set the Contrast, but everyone's eyes and viewing environments are different. So to set the contrast, you basically want to avoid 3 things:
1. Clipping white detail
2. Discoloration / color shifting
3. Eye fatigue from excessive brightness

Keep in mind that video uses a range of 16-235, so it's not critical that you have all bars flashing, but you want as many flashing as possible unless you can't reach your desired brightness level. Setting the contrast too high can also cause the bars to change to a pink color... you'll want to avoid that as well.

I used that white clipping pattern, and can only get up to 234 to flash. Other than that no matter what contrast i change it to the amount of flashing bars don't change.
post #19 of 22 Old 10-04-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you viewing the clipping pattern on your PC? If so, view them on your media player or Blu-Ray player instead and note the Contrast setting. AFAIK all PC GPUs can't pass below 16 and above 235 (aka blacker than black / whiter than white) unless you configure the chain a certain way (send the full 0-255 range to your display, but set your video player and display to 16-235; this will allow you to see the BTB/WTW bars but then your desktop and video playback will have mis-matched levels). Most likely you have it setup so that you can't see BTB/WTW. That's why I recommended that you play the patterns on a different source than your PC.
post #20 of 22 Old 10-05-2013, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Are you viewing the clipping pattern on your PC? If so, view them on your media player or Blu-Ray player instead and note the Contrast setting. AFAIK all PC GPUs can't pass below 16 and above 235 (aka blacker than black / whiter than white) unless you configure the chain a certain way (send the full 0-255 range to your display, but set your video player and display to 16-235; this will allow you to see the BTB/WTW bars but then your desktop and video playback will have mis-matched levels). Most likely you have it setup so that you can't see BTB/WTW. That's why I recommended that you play the patterns on a different source than your PC.

Yes I was viewing them on my PC, and i'm able to configure the Video card to enable full RGB mode (0-255). I have to raise the brightness to 63 for Full RGB though, and with the HDMI black level set to low on the TV. If I set it to normal, it seems it looks greyed out when full RGB is enabled. Now when I plug the USB stick into the TV directly with the patterns provided, the brightness has to be put to around 46 to get black clipping pattern right. With the white clipping pattern directly plugged on the TV, the flashes go all the way to 253. I raised the contrast all the way up and started getting that pink discoloration around 94, lowering it around 85 seemed good for day time use and lower for night use since my eyes get irritated. So it seems when directly connecting to the TV, the player is limited RGB (16-235). When i'm using my PC, I have full RGB mode and have to raise the brightness up to 63. How would I get the calibrator to calibrate for the two different levels of RGB?
post #21 of 22 Old 10-05-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Personally I would just have everything in the chain match, which would mean that you would have to clip above 235 and below 16, but this will avoid the need for separate settings. Again, it's not a big deal IMO if things get cut off below 16 and above 235 because that's the range video uses. Yes there is detail that goes above 235, but details above this range are usually just highlights or artifacts. No it's not ideal, but that's how many people setup their PCs, myself included.
post #22 of 22 Old 10-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
So how does it compare with the Sharp Elite?

Sharp Elite Pro 60

Pioneer Elite VSX-52 Receiver

Pioneer Elite  BDP-62FD BluRay

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page