1Likes
  • 1 Post By <^..^>Smokey Joe

post #1 of 5 Old 10-31-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi
I faced a strange issue on calibrating my X70. My software is color HCFR 3.0.4, meter is Colormunki Design, pattern is AVS709.
The Profileeting as below:
Color : Cinema
Color Temp: Custom
Gamma: Custom
CMS: Off
The result is quite perfect, gamma is 2.21, RGB all followed 100% after 20IRE, color tmeoerature perfect D65.
it seems perfect, except the blue color. After checking the RGBCMY, the blue is totally off the target, leaning toward purple, CIE chart as below

looks terrible, but I don't know what cause this. eek.gif
I go back to check the factory preset of Cinema1, CIE as below

looks pretty normal, but the gamma, color temperature all off the target (factory preset.....cool.gif.)
Then I try to do on the preset, the color temperature is way higher than D65, when I tune down the blue gain, the blue color goes to purple more and more, until the HCFR showed RGB balance on 100IRE, the blue is totally purple.....mad.gif I asked this on the X70 owner thread of this forum, the answer is the X70 design issue, that shocked me totally.
After that I went back and work again, I changed the color Profile to Video, the range almost fit with REC709
The seting as below:
Color Profile: Video
Color Temp: Custom
Gamma: Custom
CMS: Off
The CIE is much better

This looks much better and blue looks like blue now.
The color Profile of Cinema belongs to the wider color range than REC709. I am not sure this would cause the problem or not. I would like to use the color profile of Cinema, but had this purplish blue issue always, then I change to other color Profile. This problem seems disappear. I tried CMS, but not working, and one more setting is the screen adjustment, do we really necessary to find out the code of screen, or just preset 0?
Anyone have this experience before?

Sorry about my poor English grammar and writing, Englidh is not my native language.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-01-2013, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I Know exactly what the problem is.
Unfortunately the Oceanic, Japan, EU, X50,X70,X90 models have an internal design that has the primary colours directly connected to the white balance controls. Consequently any adjustment of the white balance shifts the primary colour away from the direction of the cuts and gains. In this case you will typically cut the blue and green gains to obtain D65, this shifts blue and green towards red colapsing the gamut. Blue becomes noticably purple and green becomes yellow green.
It doesn't matter if you use a pre select mode such as D5500 as this mode still colapses the gamut the same as manual adjustment.
JVC Japan engineers recommended to me that I just avoid adjustment of the white balance. The design is such that it cannot be addressed with a firmware change.

I did compare a few X70 units in some tests and found unit to unit variation that had one unit allowing for white balance adjustment that only had small effect on the primary colours, then the next unit would be woeful.

Because only 2~10% of consumers bother calibrating the problem didn't become a large scale consumer issue.
JVC fixed the design in the X55, X75 and X95 models.
vroski1 likes this.

Masterpiece Calibration Ltd
Christchurch NZ
post #3 of 5 Old 11-01-2013, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Soto fix your problem, you will need to select a mode that has all the primaries and complimentary colors either accurate or slightly oversaturated. Once you have a mode that will do that, you will need an external video processor to fix the color issues as well as grayscale and gamma all at the same time.

The newer 20XX series Lumagen Radiance processors also support a 9x9x9 color matrix calibration that uses an additional 729 points within three-dimensional color space that are used to make color far more accurate than it can be made with conventional calibration. You do need software that supports this new calibration mode though... like an appropriate version of CalMAN.

Older Radiance processors (the Mini and XE models now) can do a 5x5x5 matrix calibration that has an additional 125 points within the three-dimensional color space. So it's a big improvement over measuring just the 6 primary and complimentary colors, but the newer models can make color even more accurate.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX -- ISF -- HAA
post #4 of 5 Old 11-01-2013, 10:57 PM

Liked: 63
Sorry Doug, that year range of models in the listed regions cannot be easily calibrated. They are nothing like US models.
I also found the lumagen unable to cope with any mode or selection. Trust me I did extensive testing on them and lengthy email dicussions with JVC Japan.

Masterpiece Calibration Ltd
Christchurch NZ
post #5 of 5 Old 11-02-2013, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That is too bad to me........eek.gif
The last CIE charts is what I can have the best setting so far.
Or, just leave the colortempeature setting alone, then do everything else in the gamma settig, would this work?
O…o…or just leave it alone, just watch the movie......

This really makes me start to consider to replace the X70.
Sigh....…

The new optoma HD91 looks great to me, although the contrast and black levep will totally blow away by the X70.........
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Jvc Dla X70 Projector