I finally did it - I screwed up my TV! ADC HDMI failure and SCC mess - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 11-28-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
 
MonarchX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Being the newbie moron I am, just like quite a few other people, I was messing with settings I knew nothing about. First I messed up HDMI calibration. It turned from success to failed. However it really had no effect... But I wanted to fix it anyway and after researching I found out I need a check board test pattern. I found one in service menu and then used Source button to get to HDMI ADC controls. Its an 8x6 pattern starting with white square at the top left corner.
I started calibration and it said WAIT, but after 10 minutes I tried to get out by pressing Enter and Back button and it failed again...

So I researched more and found out SCC needs to be set to ON in SVC menu. As soon as I set ON my WB and CMS goes kaboomy! The adjustments I made were preserved, but the actual picture changed... Setting it back to ON had no effect...

So with SCC ON I go back to HDMI calibration... It keeps saying WAIT for 15 minutes now... What do I do? Up until now all service menu adjustments I made did good. I researched before changing but it did not mention SCC will reset all my calibration! I could care less for the damn HDMI Calibration as it had no negative effect... SVC settings also had input source and Swap options - PBA/PANEL. Using either did not fix HDMI calibration WAIT and Failed issue.

I downloaded model specific service manual - LN40B550K1FXZA and it showed identical pattern but said to use 720p resolution. TV service menu uses 1080p. Is that why it fails? How can I force 720p? I do not want to mess up anything else.

Most of all I want my calibrations to work again...
MonarchX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 11-28-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
 
MonarchX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
There is some progress. I downloaded a different 8x8 pattern from another thread, set resolution to 720p and resized desktop to compensate for overscan which is forced while in service menu. The screen began changing contrast and that is not just sit doing nothing like last time. But it still keeps saying WAIT while changing contrast for over 15 minutes. I tried not resizing desktop but it made no difference... It keeps on flashing...
MonarchX is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 11-28-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
 
MonarchX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I did a factory reset and eeprom reset and tried a different check board pattern but it keeps changing contrast and that's it...

When it works it usually takes only a few seconds, righ?
MonarchX is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 11-28-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
 
MonarchX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
After hours of looking and freaking out I found the right pattern, but in the end had to redo some white balance and color space, BUT the end result was further improved saturation sweep results for all colors!
MonarchX is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 11-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Senior Member
 
<^..^>Smokey Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 58
If you know the cartoon series, Ren and Stimpy, there was one show where Ren has a large "Do Not Push" button in front of him.
Well after a short while, he pushed the button.

The world ended, and that was that.


Samsung should of labeled that button, "Im going to %&$* up your TV if you select me!", but nope they left a land mine for you and every other newbie tweeker.

Your mistake wasn't selecting the option.

your mistake was not researching enough the method before hand, so as to realise there is nothing gained in the SM over the user menus.
PlasmaPZ80U likes this.

Masterpiece Calibration Ltd
Christchurch NZ
<^..^>Smokey Joe is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 11-29-2013, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
 
MonarchX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by <^..^>Smokey Joe View Post

If you know the cartoon series, Ren and Stimpy, there was one show where Ren has a large "Do Not Push" button in front of him.
Well after a short while, he pushed the button.

The world ended, and that was that.


Samsung should of labeled that button, "Im going to %&$* up your TV if you select me!", but nope they left a land mine for you and every other newbie tweeker.

Your mistake wasn't selecting the option.

your mistake was not researching enough the method before hand, so as to realise there is nothing gained in the SM over the user menus.

CMS exists only in SM on my model.
MonarchX is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 11-29-2013, 06:16 AM
Senior Member
 
praz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
It's always sad to see this happen to someone. But from some of your previous post I can't say this was a surprise. Anyway glad you got it sorted out.
praz is online now  
post #8 of 15 Old 11-29-2013, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
 
MonarchX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I don't understand why the provided pattern did not work and was in fact, different from the one I needed. Samsung is just as much of a moron as I am for not providing one. They hide the most important things like CMS in Advanced Menu which requires a special 0 0 0 0 combination to enter, but the HDMI Calibration is not under Expert or SVC, but under easily-accessible ADC. If they would have provided CMS controls in user menu or get them accurately - I would have never ventured into SM. I did get a good hang of almost all things after reading the service manual. Its not as complicated as PC motherboard BIOS for sure.

I was stupid for getting HDMI Calibration to Failed state, but I was even dumber for trying to fix it, considering that it had no affect what-so-ever and the original results were preserved, contrast and brightness were not changed. By trying to fix, it I entered SVC and turned on SCC, which was not even necessary, but it reset WB and ColorSpace to pre-default odd settings I have never seen. I was sh*tting myself for hours, thinking I will need to spend 5 more hours getting those dE<3 results I got before! Luckily, after HDMI Calibration Success I went and changed ADC Results to the old/default ones and the only things I had to re-calibrate was the RGB WB, the rest was the same.
MonarchX is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 11-29-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Doug Blackburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco - East Bay area
Posts: 3,453
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 228
I told you that you were going to do something like this.

No sympathy and no way to fix it without sending it back to the Samsung factory. And you will have to pay for it, because they will know you were changing settings in the service menu.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
Doug Blackburn is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 11-29-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

After hours of looking and freaking out I found the right pattern, but in the end had to redo some white balance and color space, BUT the end result was further improved saturation sweep results for all colors!

at least you did fix it, would you say everything is 100% back to normal now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post

It's always sad to see this happen to someone. But from some of your previous post I can't say this was a surprise. Anyway glad you got it sorted out.

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

I told you that you were going to do something like this.

No sympathy and no way to fix it without sending it back to the Samsung factory. And you will have to pay for it, because they will know you were changing settings in the service menu.

not quite, aside from fixing it yourself with the correct pattern, usually what they do is swap your main board with a new or refurbished one... that solves the problem instantly since the main board is where all the service menu settings and data exist... in fact, it's where all settings and data on the set exist (other parts like the panel, t-con, power board, etc. don't have anything to do with service menu issues)
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 11-29-2013, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
 
MonarchX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

I told you that you were going to do something like this.

No sympathy and no way to fix it without sending it back to the Samsung factory. And you will have to pay for it, because they will know you were changing settings in the service menu.

Why don't you read the whole thread AGAIN and either change or create a new reply cool.gif. It was extremely easy to fix, but it did cost me hours of research and some nerve cells. Samsung simply provided an incorrect pattern in its SM. They are no smarter than I am for that and for the fact that they did not include CMS in user menu, but included it in the most hard-to-enter subservice-menu, while leaving dangerous things like HDMI Calibration in an easy to access location.

I am glad it happened - I learned quite a bit from reading the service manual and researching AVS forums. I made a few more changes that I knew nothing about before all this wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif
MonarchX is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 11-29-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
 
MonarchX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

at least you did fix it, would you say everything is 100% back to normal now?

All is good and dandy, just like it was after HDMI Calibration failed, because it changed absolutely nothing because ADC results from the original calibration were preserved! So, fixing it also had no effect. It did provide slighly different ADC results, but I simply changed them to the original ones because using the new ones would require me to re-calibrate almost everything. I simply wanted to fix the FAILED status, the words themselves, lol biggrin.gif

Its turning on the SCC that caused a reset in my RGB WB and CMS. It didn't reset the actual adjustments, but it did change what those adjustments were providing. So, if before my Blue Offset was 70 and provided accurate blue, then after the reset Blue Offset was still at 70, but did not provide accurate blue. The same thing happened with CMS, which was a major issue.... going through the whole saturation sweeps all over again would have been an enraging experience. So, I did a couple of resets here and there, and CMS went back to the original defaults! From there, I simply input all the data that I, fortunately, kept written down in case something like this would happen. In fact, I keep all original and adjusted settings in a neat paper notebook tongue.gif.

Part of me was hoping that I would be unable to fix it and just buy a brand new plasma, but damn AVS forums had the right pattern....cool.gif
MonarchX is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 11-29-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

Why don't you read the whole thread AGAIN and either change or create a new reply cool.gif. It was extremely easy to fix, but it did cost me hours of research and some nerve cells. Samsung simply provided an incorrect pattern in its SM. They are no smarter than I am for that and for the fact that they did not include CMS in user menu, but included it in the most hard-to-enter subservice-menu, while leaving dangerous things like HDMI Calibration in an easy to access location.

I am glad it happened - I learned quite a bit from reading the service manual and researching AVS forums. I made a few more changes that I knew nothing about before all this wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

the only thing Samsung would do in the case of service menu issues is swap the main board... it's much easier and cheaper than sending the TV to be re-calibrated in the factory (which is not something they typically do)
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 11-29-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Doug Blackburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco - East Bay area
Posts: 3,453
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 228
OK, a manufacturer with 100s of real engineers who design products professionally... and who create the service menu to suit THEIR purposes (manufacturing)... you are just as smart as that knowledge and skill reservoir and you can figure out everything they did in the service menu.

You are destined to brick your TV if you don't stop messing around. Most people would learn from a close call.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
Doug Blackburn is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 11-29-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Glenee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: MidWest
Posts: 1,176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
It's not going to be long before you have something to play with for a long time. It will be a challenge, and Odds are that even with the SM it will be a 50/50 shot at best. I must say that you have more determination than 90% of the people on this forum.
But non the less the time is a coming.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

Glenee is offline  
Reply Display Calibration



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off