Samsung Calibration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 12-06-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I just purchased a Samsung LED TV and from what I am reading calibrating a TV is the best way to get the best picture. I know nothing about calibrating or what I need to buy. My old TV was calibrating from a guy who had a side business but I have moved out of the area and figure I want to try and do it myself. I have looked at the spyder tool but am wondering what is the best way to go for a beginner with little experience calibrating tv's?? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-06-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 484
I would recommend a I1d3 colorimeter at a minimum, you will also need a pattern disc and software. HFCR is free software you can use, there are other licensed pay options like Calman and Chromapure.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #3 of 22 Old 12-06-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 98
If you are just starting out and only have a LCD/LED display then our CalMAN Tutorial with C3 meter is a good entry point. The SpectraCal C3 meter is within visual perception accuracy for LCD and LED as our C6 which costs some 5 times more.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #4 of 22 Old 12-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I used an xrite colormunki display ( http://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-CMUNDIS-ColorMunki-Display/dp/B0055MBQOM ) and the free HCFR software ( http://www.avsforum.com/t/1393853/fork-of-hcfr-started-whats-needed ) to calibrate my Samsung ES8000 LED/LCD. The Colormunki Display is the same hardware as the xrite i1 display Pro mentioned above ( http://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-EODIS3-i1Display-Pro/dp/B0055MBQOW ), except it only supports xrite's software and HCFR and is a few bucks cheaper.
post #5 of 22 Old 12-06-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith View Post

If you are just starting out and only have a LCD/LED display then our CalMAN Tutorial with C3 meter is a good entry point. The SpectraCal C3 meter is within visual perception accuracy for LCD and LED as our C6 which costs some 5 times more.

What about plasma tv, do you recommend the same thing?

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #6 of 22 Old 12-06-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder View Post

What about plasma tv, do you recommend the same thing?

The SpectraCal C3 has a Plasma mode but is a little less accurate then our C6. The SpectraCal C3 is still a very good meter with Plasma just not as good as with LCD/LED. The SpectraCal C3 is based on a newer generation of what was the X-Rite Chroma5. Which for the longest time the Chroma5 was the best meter in it's class and still used by many today. The SpectraCal C3 has updated filters and a newer processor over the Chroma5.

Derek

post #7 of 22 Old 12-06-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The SpectraCal C3 has a Plasma mode but is a little less accurate then our C6. The SpectraCal C3 is still a very good meter with Plasma just not as good as with LCD/LED. The SpectraCal C3 is based on a newer generation of what was the X-Rite Chroma5. Which for the longest time the Chroma5 was the best meter in it's class and still used by many today. The SpectraCal C3 has updated filters and a newer processor over the Chroma5.

I assume what's in the link is what you are suggesting. http://store.spectracal.com/c3.html

Since I have not calibrated a tv before, will I need anything else?

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #8 of 22 Old 12-06-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder View Post

I assume what's in the link is what you are suggesting. http://store.spectracal.com/c3.html

Since I have not calibrated a tv before, will I need anything else?

Those kits include everything a beginning calibrator needs other than some time and experience.

Derek

post #9 of 22 Old 12-06-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Those kits include everything a beginning calibrator needs other than some time and experience.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #10 of 22 Old 12-09-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since I have no experience in calibrating a display, will the software walk me through and make it as easy as possible to do the best job?

Also, are there some websites that I can check out to learn about calibration?

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #11 of 22 Old 12-09-2013, 07:11 AM

Liked: 60
Since you have no experience with calibration I don't think it makes sense to spend money yet.
A lot of theory has to be learned and this takes time, it doesn't make sense to jump right into it in total ignorance.
I'd suggest you download the AVS HD 709 calibration suite and learn the basic calibration first, it's a free download.
Take a look at this tutorial, just follow the steps.
This might be enough for you to be happy with your TV.

As you learn more you should realise that you'll have to decide if you are willing to take calibration as further as possible or if you are satisfied with the basic stuff.
You have to ask yourself if it's worth to endure the immense learning effort and spend money just to get white balance, Color tracking and Gamma right.

On the first post of the "Cal video" topic you'll find a very good introductory and educational video about calibration, it's only touching the surface of advanced calibration though.
You have no idea how much you have to learn, but you can learn most without spending a penny.

EDIT: Just realised the OP is another member, but this applies to him as well.
post #12 of 22 Old 12-09-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkl10 View Post

Since you have no experience with calibration I don't think it makes sense to spend money yet.
A lot of theory has to be learned and this takes time, it doesn't make sense to jump right into it in total ignorance.
I'd suggest you download the AVS HD 709 calibration suite and learn the basic calibration first, it's a free download.
Take a look at this tutorial, just follow the steps.
This might be enough for you to be happy with your TV.

As you learn more you should realise that you'll have to decide if you are willing to take calibration as further as possible or if you are satisfied with the basic stuff.
You have to ask yourself if it's worth to endure the immense learning effort and spend money just to get white balance, Color tracking and Gamma right.

On the first post of the "Cal video" topic you'll find a very good introductory and educational video about calibration, it's only touching the surface of advanced calibration though.
You have no idea how much you have to learn, but you can learn most without spending a penny.

EDIT: Just realised the OP is another member, but this applies to him as well.

Thanks for you input, I have considered calibration might be to much for my inexperience. I do understand white balance since I do photography and it is critical foundation to producing a quality image.

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #13 of 22 Old 12-09-2013, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
I used this tutorial to get started - http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

I'm not a pro but I got very good results after a lot of hours of reading and trial and error.
post #14 of 22 Old 12-09-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post

I used this tutorial to get started - http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

I'm not a pro but I got very good results after a lot of hours of reading and trial and error.

Thanks for the link, I will be reading it to get a better grasp on things.

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #15 of 22 Old 12-09-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post

Watching the video was a good help to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqWd8qs9YAk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #16 of 22 Old 12-11-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 62
May I suggest you subscribe to Michael Chens Training Video's. I know that $150.00 is not a small amount of money, but it's what I did, and I know I would not be this far along without them. As I learn more in my research it sure makes it a lot easier to understand what their talking about.Once you have someone walk you through the steps of all Calibrations it just makes the whole thing easier and you a lot more wiser. Just a suggestion.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #17 of 22 Old 12-11-2013, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

May I suggest you subscribe to Michael Chens Training Video's. I know that $150.00 is not a small amount of money, but it's what I did, and I know I would not be this far along without them. As I learn more in my research it sure makes it a lot easier to understand what their talking about.Once you have someone walk you through the steps of all Calibrations it just makes the whole thing easier and you a lot more wiser. Just a suggestion.
+1. The video training will give you a big & fast jump start versus what you'll find elsewhere on the net.
post #18 of 22 Old 12-12-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

The video I linked to did give me some understanding of RGB since I really didn't understand it that well before it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKJohnny View Post

+1. The video training will give you a big & fast jump start versus what you'll find elsewhere on the net.

Thanks for the suggestion about Michael Chen's Training Videos, however it's not in my budget to spend $150 on training video, I wish I could. Maybe I will try to find a way to afford it, but it's going to push the calibration budget to $400 for a $1500 tv is a little much, although I'm sure it's very valuable information and would be used in the future it's just more than I anticipated on calibration.

My original plan was to spend $150-200 for calibration equipment/software like the X-Rite EODIS3 i1Display Pro and just learn what I needed or couldn't figure out through the web.

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #19 of 22 Old 12-12-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 62
It will end up being the Best Money you will spend on learning to Calibrate. All the State of the Art Equipment you buy will not get the job done, if you don't understand what it's telling you. You can learn from text examples on the web, but it will take a long time sorting out what they truly mean in the typed word.
This is something that will last a lifetime and you will be able to use forever. The equipment won't.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #20 of 22 Old 12-12-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 226
It is impossible for calibration software to make it as easy as possible to get a good calibration. And the cheaper the software, the less likely it is that it will be "beginner friendly"

Honestly, the ONLY way to learn calibration is to spend about 100 hours in study and practice. After that, your first calibrations will be maybe 60% as good as the best you'll be able to get on any given TV.

And the TV itself will affect the quality of your calibration because some TVs have controls that all work like you would expect them to work and it is relatively easy to get them calibrated. Other TVs are downright diabolical in how controls interact or don't work in a linear fashion or don't work at all.

There are NO shortcuts to calibration skill. Software will not compensate for lack of calibration skill/knowledge partially because you won't know enough about what it going on to recognize if something is wrong. You will tend to assume the autocalibration result is good and not realize it messed up. Any software that offers autocalibration as an option needs to have its work checked with selected manual measurements so you can confirm that the auto cal results are good. Trusting the software to be perfect every time is a mistake. Many things can go wrong. Not knowing wiat all those things are is asking for a fail.

Also understand that the meter you purchase at a modest cost will only be accurate for a few years before the internal filters begin changing enough to affect the accuracy of the meter readngs.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #21 of 22 Old 12-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

Also understand that the meter you purchase at a modest cost will only be accurate for a few years before the internal filters begin changing enough to affect the accuracy of the meter readngs.

From what I've read on other forums and photography forums, they're usually buying the next model or a new one by then.
post #22 of 22 Old 12-13-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Greetings

They might be on the other forums, but many enthusiasts on display calibration forums like this one think their stuff will last forever and are always disappointed to find that it never is the case.

There are also some unrealistic expectations that hammers teach people how to build houses. And that books on brain surgery teach people to be doctors first.

regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page