Jeti 1201 test results - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 137 Old 12-10-2013, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
sillysally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,714
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Here are my test results for the two new Jeti 1201 I had. Both of these new Jet's were shipped directly from Jeti's headquarters In Germany..

Jeti-SN2913936.zip 8k .zip file ReplacementJeti-SN2913916.zip 72k .zip file

The first Jeti S/N 2913936
The second Jeti S/N 2913916

My test's included three different LapTops (1 WndXP-2 Win 7), two different software apps(LS, Jeti LiVal), Lumangen 2041 and Oppo BDP 93 using AVSHD709 as pattern generators. All test came back about the same.
I used a 65VT60 and a LapTop monitor.

As a reference I also included measurements done using the same setup and in the same seating for my K10-A and my I1Pro 2 .
I expected the Jeti measurements to come out close to the K10-A even though the Jeti cost about 25% more. However not only did the test results not come close to the K10-A, they didn't even equal or best my I1Pro 2 that cost about 7x less. eek.gif

It is clear to me that the Jeti 1201 has a repeatable measurement problem, at-least on the two new Jeti 1201's that Jeti sent me.
Given the fact that the Jeti has been around for over 5 years, I was very surprised at the outcome because of the issue that the above test show.

ss
Attached Files
File Type: zip Jeti-SN2913936.zip (8.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: zip ReplacementJeti-SN2913916.zip (71.8 KB, 26 views)
sillysally is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 137 Old 12-10-2013, 02:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
spacediver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Thanks for sharing this. It's astounding how repeatable the K10 is.

Based on the timestamps of your measurements, and the fact that it's clear that the instruments were warming up (see the trend for lower luminance readings over time), are you sure you warmed up the instruments enough?

The data sheet for the Jeti does say that chromaticity repeatability is +-0.0005 xy, and your measurements certainly seem to exceed this tolerance, but I wonder what would happen if you allowed it to warm up for a good 20 minutes.
spacediver is online now  
post #3 of 137 Old 12-10-2013, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
sillysally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,714
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Thanks for asking a good question, and yes I did warm up the Jeti in the first tests for over 30 min. The "new' replacement Jeti I only warmed up for about 15 min and only did the one test. At that point I was disgusted.

Yes you are correct its 0.0005 and as you can see both Jeti's failed to come even close. Mater of fact the I1Pro did better than the Jeti and as you point out the K10-A is spot on.

I actually did 5 days of testing on the first Jeti at the request of Jeti, I even sent them proof that I used three laptops just to rule out bad USB ports.and the like


What alerted me first to a problem with the Jeti was when a fellow AVS member asked me if he could come over and profile his meter to the Jeti, so Friday night he came with his I1pro and I started to run test first on his meter then on the Jeti, it was then i noticed the erectic behavuor of the jeti and started running more test. That Sunday I PM are fellow AVS member to give him the bad news.

ss
sillysally is offline  
post #4 of 137 Old 12-10-2013, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ConnecTEDDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 2,270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

Thanks. I wonder what Tom uses for the D3 Pro's.
JETI 1201

Does Tom hasn't seen this repeatability issues using his JETI 1201 while he is creating the Plasma Corrrection Tables for all the PRO meters he is selling?
sillysally likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
ConnecTEDDD is online now  
post #5 of 137 Old 12-10-2013, 06:15 AM
Senior Member
 
venkatesh_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
ss,

I have pull out my gear one of these days and do the test as u did. I do remember doing this before on mine and did not remember seeing a difference that was alarming. However, the Jeti is the only 5nm tool in ur tests. Could it be that its the most accurate and is detecting differences in the display that the others are not picking up? Did Jeti get back to you on this?
venkatesh_m is offline  
post #6 of 137 Old 12-10-2013, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
sillysally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,714
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

Does Tom hasn't seen this repeatability issues using his JETI 1201 while he is creating the Plasma Corrrection Tables for all the PRO meters he is selling?

I can't speak for tom, my friend. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatesh_m View Post

ss,

I have pull out my gear one of these days and do the test as u did. I do remember doing this before on mine and did not remember seeing a difference that was alarming. However, the Jeti is the only 5nm tool in ur tests. Could it be that its the most accurate and is detecting differences in the display that the others are not picking up? Did Jeti get back to you on this?

No thats not the problem according to Jeti, the last I heard from Jeti is its a noise issue with the 1201.

If you have a Plasma run the tests on that.
From my understanding the best results would be on a LCD and go downhill from there, .
Let me make it clear that I only ran test's on a 65VT60 and a Dell Laptop monitor.

My advise is to E-Mail Jeti and ask them about this issue..wink.gif

ss
sillysally is offline  
post #7 of 137 Old 12-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
spacediver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Thanks for asking a good question, and yes I did warm up the Jeti in the first tests for over 30 min. The "new' replacement Jeti I only warmed up for about 15 min and only did the one test. At that point I was disgusted.

That's strange. If that's the case, it looks like your luminance readings have a much more serious issue than chromaticity. Could it be that simply being plugged in isn't enough to warm up the instrument?

For example, look at the Jeti White from the before set. It starts out at 113 and ends up at 106. And it's clearly not a noise issue, as these readings steadily decline over time, unless this drop in luminance is due to display warmup.
spacediver is online now  
post #8 of 137 Old 12-10-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Lake Tahoe, NV
Posts: 4,429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 88
ss, do you happen to have a powered usb hub that you can use in a test run?

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

 

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

turbe is offline  
post #9 of 137 Old 12-10-2013, 09:46 AM
h2c
Newbie
 
h2c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: France
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wanted to order a Tom for 1201 and he told me that it was suspending sales until the problem is fixed !
h2c is offline  
post #10 of 137 Old 12-10-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chad B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 2,055
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Here's 20 consecutive single reads of red using my Jeti 1211 on my Panasonic GT50 plasma. I used ChromaPure for this test.

It appears that x and y do meet + - .0005 tolerance.

x reads from .6395 to .6405, and y reads from .3309 to .3313.

Regarding the Y drooping from 113 to 106 in SS's test, I believe that is most likely panel fatigue.

Could the 1201 need a better sync option like the 1211 has?

red.csv 2k .csv file
Attached Files
File Type: csv red.csv (1.6 KB, 25 views)
Chad B is offline  
post #11 of 137 Old 12-10-2013, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
sillysally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,714
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacediver View Post

That's strange. If that's the case, it looks like your luminance readings have a much more serious issue than chromaticity. Could it be that simply being plugged in isn't enough to warm up the instrument?

For example, look at the Jeti White from the before set. It starts out at 113 and ends up at 106. And it's clearly not a noise issue, as these readings steadily decline over time, unless this drop in luminance is due to display warmup.

Well yes I thought about that also, so using two of those laptops, Jetis software and LS software I put both the I1Pro and the Jeti on continuous reads for about 10 mini after I already plug then into a USB post for over 30 min. As I said I was testing for 5 days, I even have test for using the USB cord from my I1Pro and connecting it to 1201. . wink.gif
Ask Steve from LS why I requested a second key for LS, but instead I simply installed Jeti software in the second laptop.

I don't think its fair to post what Jeti said about why the luminance was as high as it was on the Jeti.imo its laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

ss, do you happen to have a powered usb hub that you can use in a test run?

Actualy Jeti din't want me to use a hub, that's why I used three high end Dell laptop's to rule out that problem. As you can see the picture I sent to Jeti as proof.

Jeti had me jumping though a lot of hoops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2c View Post

I wanted to order a Tom for 1201 and he told me that it was suspending sales until the problem is fixed !

Yes Tom told me that was what he was going to do, because of the issue I uncovered and he confirmed.
If I wasn't for Tom trying to get my money back from Jeti, I wounder if Jeti would have refunded my money.

Thanks again Tom. smile.gif

ss
sillysally is offline  
post #12 of 137 Old 12-10-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
sillysally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,714
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Here's 20 consecutive single reads of red using my Jeti 1211 on my Panasonic GT50 plasma. I used ChromaPure for this test.

It appears that x and y do meet + - .0005 tolerance.

x reads from .6395 to .6405, and y reads from .3309 to .3313.

Regarding the Y drooping from 113 to 106 in SS's test, I believe that is most likely panel fatigue.

Could the 1201 need a better sync option like the 1211 has?

red.csv 2k .csv file

imo you have a good thought there. wink.gif
I did wounder why Jeti has the firmware updates for the 1211 but not for the 1201.

Now you know why I was asking about the 1201 and 1211 on the CM forum, I was trying to figure this out.

ss
sillysally is offline  
post #13 of 137 Old 12-10-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TomHuffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 6,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

Does Tom hasn't seen this repeatability issues using his JETI 1201 while he is creating the Plasma Corrrection Tables for all the PRO meters he is selling?
I couldn't fully reproduce the problems Peter was seeing with his 1201 tests.

Peter's original unit



Same unit measured by me



These readings are both for plasma red, which seems to be the worst-case. His tests showed truly huge repeatability problems, whereas when I tested the same unit they were much, much smaller. Nonetheless, even my tests showed results that failed JETI's own specification, and my own 1201 did a little worse (+- 0.0025) than the returned unit, so there is definitely a problem.

I remeasured all of the displays I use for PRO corrections using 20 consecutive readings and then averaging the result. The discrepancies from my original set of measurements were negligible. The repeatability errors were just not large enough to have any real impact on our correction tables.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

TomHuffman is offline  
post #14 of 137 Old 12-10-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TomHuffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 6,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Here's 20 consecutive single reads of red using my Jeti 1211 on my Panasonic GT50 plasma. I used ChromaPure for this test.

It appears that x and y do meet + - .0005 tolerance.

x reads from .6395 to .6405, and y reads from .3309 to .3313.

Regarding the Y drooping from 113 to 106 in SS's test, I believe that is most likely panel fatigue.

Could the 1201 need a better sync option like the 1211 has?

red.csv 2k .csv file
Chad is absolutely right about this. The 1211 does not suffer from this problem. I, too, suggested to JETI that the problem was based on a lack of refresh rate detection and synchronization. I was led to this belief by the fact that the 1201 problem did not appear at all on either LED displays or front projectors. This is exactly what I saw a couple of years ago when we were first building support for the 1211 prior to implementing sync support. However, JETI seems fairly confident that the problem is a S/N ratio issue.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

TomHuffman is offline  
post #15 of 137 Old 12-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
spacediver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post


Regarding the Y drooping from 113 to 106 in SS's test, I believe that is most likely panel fatigue.

If that's the case, then it means the display wasn't producing a consistent signal, so the chromaticity variability may actually reflect the display's behaviour, rather than a noisy instrument.

The K10 didn't display this trend in luminance, so it could be that the display had already warmed up, or it could mean that the display was fine all along.


Either way, it's hard to put faith in SS's results when you have a systematic chance in luminance readings over time.
spacediver is online now  
post #16 of 137 Old 12-10-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
sillysally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,714
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

I couldn't fully reproduce the problems Peter was seeing with his 1201 tests.

Peter's original unit



Same unit measured by me



These readings are both for plasma red, which seems to be the worst-case. His tests showed truly huge repeatability problems, whereas when I tested the same unit they were much, much smaller. Nonetheless, even my tests showed results that failed JETI's own specification, and my own 1201 did a little worse (+- 0.0025) than the returned unit, so there is definitely a problem.

I remeasured all of the displays I use for PRO corrections using 20 consecutive readings and then averaging the result. The discrepancies from my original set of measurements were negligible. The repeatability errors were just not large enough to have any real impact on our correction tables.

Tom the above test that you did I think are for the second 1201, not the original 1201. Your readings were very close to my readings/tests for the original 1201 . I believe you had a much lower opinion of the original 1201.

As I posted above "the new' replacement Jeti I only warmed up for about 15 min and only did the one test. At that point I was disgusted"
The reason for the disgust and why I didn't do more test was because the I1Pro2 test were about the same when I did the I1Pro2 test with the original 1201. So my question is why the difference between the second 1201 test from yours to mine when the I1Pro was about the same on every test. That's what I can't understand.

Oh well I guess this is just a moot point, as you said "even my tests showed results that failed JETI's own specification," and that was for the second Jeti, not the first Jeti that was far worse.

ss
sillysally is offline  
post #17 of 137 Old 12-10-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
sillysally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,714
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacediver View Post

If that's the case, then it means the display wasn't producing a consistent signal, so the chromaticity variability may actually reflect the display's behaviour, rather than a noisy instrument.

The K10 didn't display this trend in luminance, so it could be that the display had already warmed up, or it could mean that the display was fine all along.


Either way, it's hard to put faith in SS's results when you have a systematic chance in luminance readings over time.

Yes I agree with you, but how do you account for the K10-A luminance and xy readings being so very close in every test. And as I said I have many more test on the 1st 1201 and the K10-A. Look at both sets of reading for the 1st and 2nd Jeti.

However the real problem is in repeatable readings with the 1201, that all three Jeti's failed to pass Jeti's posted specs.

ss
sillysally is offline  
post #18 of 137 Old 12-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
spacediver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Yes I agree with you, but how do you account for the K10-A luminance and xy readings being so very close in every test. And as I said I have many more test on the 1st 1201 and the K10-A. Look at both sets of reading for the 1st and 2nd Jeti.

As I indicated, the consistent K10 readings and inconsistent Jeti readings could reflect either:

a) the fact that the display had already warmed up when you used the K10, but not when you used the Jeti.

OR

b) the fact that the display was warmed up in both cases, but the Jeti was not warmed up.


You cannot explain the luminance readings as a case of noise. It is a systematic error. You need to account for this systematic error before you make inferences about noise in your xy readings.
spacediver is online now  
post #19 of 137 Old 12-10-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ConnecTEDDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 2,270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 462
I believe they know that without AutoSync feature it's a problem to measure displays or pulsed light tech displays like plasma's, that's why they don't recommend 1201 for Display Calibration Applications according to this public released applications document.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
ConnecTEDDD is online now  
post #20 of 137 Old 12-10-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chad B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 2,055
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Dont forget the elapsed time to take 20 consecutive readings is much much longer with the 1201 than either other probe especially the Klein. That means panel fatigue could be a factor with the Jeti but not the Klein. If you wanted to do an apples to apples, throw in a 5 second or more delay after each Klein measurement, and take care that the pattern is freshly displayed at the beginning of each run.
PlasmaPZ80U likes this.
Chad B is offline  
post #21 of 137 Old 12-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Senior Member
 
venkatesh_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
All this data and Tom's assessment is indeed disturbing. I hope to obtain the same data on a few plasmas and see if Jeti can address the issue and if its merely a probe to probe issue or a widespread issue. Else my purchase of the 1201 was also based on flawed data.
venkatesh_m is offline  
post #22 of 137 Old 12-10-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TomHuffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 6,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Tom the above test that you did I think are for the second 1201, not the original 1201. Your readings were very close to my readings/tests for the original 1201 . I believe you had a much lower opinion of the original 1201.
No, those are the numbers I got from the first unit you returned, SN 2913939. However, this was not the first one I tested. That was my own 1201, and it was worse. Here are the values I got from it, again plasma red.



As I pointed out in our e-mail conversations, the reason or reasons that you got worse results than I did remained a mystery. However, since all of us got results that failed the xy0.0005 specification it hardly mattered.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

TomHuffman is offline  
post #23 of 137 Old 12-10-2013, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
sillysally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,714
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacediver View Post

As I indicated, the consistent K10 readings and inconsistent Jeti readings could reflect either:

a) the fact that the display had already warmed up when you used the K10, but not when you used the Jeti.

OR

b) the fact that the display was warmed up in both cases, but the Jeti was not warmed up.


You cannot explain the luminance readings as a case of noise. It is a systematic error. You need to account for this systematic error before you make inferences about noise in your xy readings.

Yes all that is possible, and I am not the one saying S/N ratio is possibly the problem, Jeti is suggested that.
Also don't forget about the I1Pro 2, that also enters into these comparisons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Dont forget the elapsed time to take 20 consecutive readings is much much longer with the 1201 than either other probe especially the Klein. That means panel fatigue could be a factor with the Jeti but not the Klein. If you wanted to do an apples to apples, throw in a 5 second or more delay after each Klein measurement, and take care that the pattern is freshly displayed at the beginning of each run.

I think the average Red read time for the 1201 was about 4.3 seconds. If you take say 10 reads at 4.3 seconds per read that still would only be a total of 43 seconds to complete 10 reads. So I doubt that is going to make much difference.

ss
sillysally is offline  
post #24 of 137 Old 12-11-2013, 02:35 AM
Newbie
 
Steffen Goerlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Jena
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
We were informed about SS test results three weeks ago. His findings initiated a deep investigation of the reason of the specbos 1201 measurement reproducibility on a Plasma TV.
After first investigation we couldn´t find any similar bad behaviour with other specbos 1201 units. Therefore we send him a replacement unit which was specially tested by us on a Plasma monitor, but he found similar bad results as with the first unit. Our check of SS measured spectra showed that the noise is about ten times higher than normal, hence producing a low repeatability on his Panasonic 65VT60 and on a laptop monitor. The attached diagram shows the situation.
It was not possible to reproduce SS measuring conditions here, but we could get a similar bad reproducibility of the chromaticity coordinates by simulating a reduced USB voltage which was not conform to the standard regulations. After the information that the reproducibility is almost equal on SS Laptop monitor we concluded that there should be a problem with the brand laptops, operating the specbos units.
There is no synchronization necessary for the specbos 1201 on monitors because the scan time are much longer than the period time of the display.

Concerning the repeatability specs in the data sheet:
The repeatability stated in the data sheet of the specbos 1201 relays on dedicated measurement conditions on 20 different typical light spectra usual on spectroradiometer qualifications. Red from plasma TV is not included.
On a plasma TV the repeatability (on red, only red) specbos 1201 does not fullfill the stated repeatability specification by several reasons, mainly caused by the very narrow bandwith of the red plasma color and the convolution for X,Y,Z with noise in the remaining spectra ranges.
The specifications were determined on measurement conditions far before this issue on plasma red arises. Therefore we do not recommend the 1201 for plasma TV calibration. Use the specbos 1211 instead.
On LED and CCFL backlight, or projectors the repeatability of the 1201 is within the stated specs, even on red.
This statement is of course only valid for a proper USB powering.

Weeks ago I got the chance to test a 720 HP Corvette. Stated acceleration 0...100 km/h in 3.9 sec. My own test on 13% slope uphill: approx. 8(!) sec. Should I start a thread and claim about specs on a Corvette user forum?

BTW: Plasma TV calibration results are not repeatable from the long term view due to burn in effects. Make your own test: calibrate a plasma TV, put different color zones pattern on it for, lets say, some hours and measure complement color zones on next day - you will be impressed!

ComparisonNoiseSSJETI.jpg 252k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ComparisonNoiseSSJETI.jpg (252.3 KB, 39 views)
venkatesh_m likes this.
Steffen Goerlich is offline  
post #25 of 137 Old 12-11-2013, 02:46 AM
Senior Member
 
venkatesh_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffen Goerlich View Post

We were informed about SS test results three weeks ago. His findings initiated a deep investigation of the reason of the specbos 1201 measurement reproducibility on a Plasma TV.
After first investigation we couldn´t find any similar bad behaviour with other specbos 1201 units. Therefore we send him a replacement unit which was specially tested by us on a Plasma monitor, but he found similar bad results as with the first unit. Our check of SS measured spectra showed that the noise is about ten times higher than normal, hence producing a low repeatability on his Panasonic 65VT60 and on a laptop monitor. The attached diagram shows the situation.
It was not possible to reproduce SS measuring conditions here, but we could get a similar bad reproducibility of the chromaticity coordinates by simulating a reduced USB voltage which was not conform to the standard regulations. After the information that the reproducibility is almost equal on SS Laptop monitor we concluded that there should be a problem with the brand laptops, operating the specbos units.
There is no synchronization necessary for the specbos 1201 on monitors because the scan time are much longer than the period time of the display.

Concerning the repeatability specs in the data sheet:
The repeatability stated in the data sheet of the specbos 1201 relays on dedicated measurement conditions on 20 different typical light spectra usual on spectroradiometer qualifications. Red from plasma TV is not included.
On a plasma TV the repeatability (on red, only red) specbos 1201 does not fullfill the stated repeatability specification by several reasons, mainly caused by the very narrow bandwith of the red plasma color and the convolution for X,Y,Z with noise in the remaining spectra ranges.
The specifications were determined on measurement conditions far before this issue on plasma red arises. Therefore we do not recommend the 1201 for plasma TV calibration. Use the specbos 1211 instead.
On LED and CCFL backlight, or projectors the repeatability of the 1201 is within the stated specs, even on red.
This statement is of course only valid for a proper USB powering.

Weeks ago I got the chance to test a 720 HP Corvette. Stated acceleration 0...100 km/h in 3.9 sec. My own test on 13% slope uphill: approx. 8(!) sec. Should I start a thread and claim about specs on a Corvette user forum?

BTW: Plasma TV calibration results are not repeatable from the long term view due to burn in effects. Make your own test: calibrate a plasma TV, put different color zones pattern on it for, lets say, some hours and measure complement color zones on next day - you will be impressed!

ComparisonNoiseSSJETI.jpg 252k .jpg file

Thanks Steffen for the explanation. I am assuming that you are with Jeti.

My issue is that when I bought the 1201 I did not have this information. I will contact my dealer and see what can be done.
venkatesh_m is offline  
post #26 of 137 Old 12-11-2013, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
sillysally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,714
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Please explain why in your first summary of my tests dated Tue, Nov 19, 2013 8:17 am, you show a max Red of 6765 and a min of 6637. However my test show a max of 6794 and a min 6619.
Yes you did mention your concern about a USB port not putting out the proper voltage, however because of my use of three different PC's and Tom's testing that ruled out USB fault.
Also can you address my question of why would the Klein K10-A and the I1Pro 2 not have any voltage issues with any USB port that I tested. Or is the Jeti that sensitive to that narrow of a voltage range ?

When you sent the 2nd Jeti to me you also sent (Mon, Nov 25, 2013 7:55 am) the measurements that you did on your (Jeti) Plasma TV .What you went on to say is you wanted to make sure there was no special issue with the 1201 you were sending me. As you know your measurements had a high of 6390 and a low of 6367 for Red, .0013 difference. Please tell me if a difference of .0013 exceed your posted specs for the 1201.

Here is a quoit from your above post
Quote:
On a plasma TV the repeatability (on red, only red) specbos 1201 does not fullfill the stated repeatability specification by several reasons, mainly caused by the very narrow bandwith of the red plasma color and the convolution for X,Y,Z with noise in the remaining spectra ranges.
The specifications were determined on measurement conditions far before this issue on plasma red arises. Therefore we do not recommend the 1201 for plasma TV calibration. Use the specbos 1211 instead.
So the bottom line is maybe you should be thanking me for bring this to your attention after the 1201 has been on the market for well over 5 years, and you never thought to test the Jeti 1201 on your Plasma TV. rolleyes.gif

Understanding all of this, in a E-Mail I received from Jeti dated Tue, Dec 10, 2013 1:14 pm, the reason why you changed your mind on sending me a 1211 is because you assume the 1211 will fail at my place.

I don't know witch makes less sense for what you guys are saying, talking about test driving a Corvette or why you don't want to send me a 1211.
Don't forget it was me that alerted you to this issue and therefore your understanding of this issue along with what you say will be a change in how you represent the 1201 going forward.

My last suggestion is take Mr. Hoffman's lead and do the right thing, be Men.

Best Regards,

ss

btw, you may want to ask Mr. Hoffman about the 1201 and a CCFL or something like that.
sillysally is offline  
post #27 of 137 Old 12-11-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Planet Dog
Posts: 4,451
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffen Goerlich View Post

We were informed about SS test results three weeks ago. His findings initiated a deep investigation of the reason of the specbos 1201 measurement reproducibility on a Plasma TV.
After first investigation we couldn´t find any similar bad behaviour with other specbos 1201 units. Therefore we send him a replacement unit which was specially tested by us on a Plasma monitor, but he found similar bad results as with the first unit. Our check of SS measured spectra showed that the noise is about ten times higher than normal, hence producing a low repeatability on his Panasonic 65VT60 and on a laptop monitor. The attached diagram shows the situation.
It was not possible to reproduce SS measuring conditions here, but we could get a similar bad reproducibility of the chromaticity coordinates by simulating a reduced USB voltage which was not conform to the standard regulations. After the information that the reproducibility is almost equal on SS Laptop monitor we concluded that there should be a problem with the brand laptops, operating the specbos units.
There is no synchronization necessary for the specbos 1201 on monitors because the scan time are much longer than the period time of the display.

Concerning the repeatability specs in the data sheet:
The repeatability stated in the data sheet of the specbos 1201 relays on dedicated measurement conditions on 20 different typical light spectra usual on spectroradiometer qualifications. Red from plasma TV is not included.
On a plasma TV the repeatability (on red, only red) specbos 1201 does not fullfill the stated repeatability specification by several reasons, mainly caused by the very narrow bandwith of the red plasma color and the convolution for X,Y,Z with noise in the remaining spectra ranges.
The specifications were determined on measurement conditions far before this issue on plasma red arises. Therefore we do not recommend the 1201 for plasma TV calibration. Use the specbos 1211 instead.
On LED and CCFL backlight, or projectors the repeatability of the 1201 is within the stated specs, even on red.
This statement is of course only valid for a proper USB powering.

Weeks ago I got the chance to test a 720 HP Corvette. Stated acceleration 0...100 km/h in 3.9 sec. My own test on 13% slope uphill: approx. 8(!) sec. Should I start a thread and claim about specs on a Corvette user forum?

BTW: Plasma TV calibration results are not repeatable from the long term view due to burn in effects. Make your own test: calibrate a plasma TV, put different color zones pattern on it for, lets say, some hours and measure complement color zones on next day - you will be impressed!

ComparisonNoiseSSJETI.jpg 252k .jpg file

Greetings Steffen and welcome to forum land!

Have you considered the possibility of RF noise reaching the detector pre-amps? Plasmas are notoriously bad RF emitters.
zoyd is offline  
post #28 of 137 Old 12-12-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
sillysally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,714
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

Greetings Steffen and welcome to forum land!

Have you considered the possibility of RF noise reaching the detector pre-amps? Plasmas are notoriously bad RF emitters.

That may be a good idea.
With the second 1201, I only had it set about 8" off screen from my 65VT60. That could be why my test was much farther off than Tom's.
With all the measurements I did with the first 1201 I had it back at least 18". All the measurements from the first was about the same as Tom's..

ss
sillysally is offline  
post #29 of 137 Old 12-12-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Planet Dog
Posts: 4,451
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 314
This is a 1211 unit I borrowed so probably not of direct interest, the only problems I see are with higher intensity patterns when the unit is not synced to my plasma refresh rate. Measurements taken with HCFR. smile.gif

zoyd is offline  
post #30 of 137 Old 12-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
spacediver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 793
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 66
what does "pp" mean?
spacediver is online now  
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off