Panasonic 50st60 blurry & dark picture - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-12-2013, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchase the panasonic 50st60 and its a great tv. I just for rid of my 14 year old panasonic pwdy7 tv i think it was. My old panasonics tv picture looks way better than the 50st60 right now! I know it shouldn't so I want to know if anyone has good calibration settings to get my the best picture on the tv. The picture right now is too blurry and too dark. Some stuff looks old on it and some dent! Please help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-13-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevgees View Post

I just purchase the panasonic 50st60 and its a great tv. I just for rid of my 14 year old panasonic pwdy7 tv i think it was. My old panasonics tv picture looks way better than the 50st60 right now! I know it shouldn't so I want to know if anyone has good calibration settings to get my the best picture on the tv. The picture right now is too blurry and too dark. Some stuff looks old on it and some dent! Please help!!
The default mode on this TV is Standard Mode, which is a bit dim and dull. Go into Picture Settings menu and change to Custom Mode. Under Pro Settings change panel brightness to High. Have AGC on 12. Put gamma detail on S-curve. Then the TV is plenty bright. In fact, I have Brightness set to 0. Have CATS turned off. And to make the picture sharper, turn Sharpness to 85 to 90. Then this TV is very bright, with vivid colors that pop. Contrast 95. And images are sharp. Although some don't like the sharpness this high, it made the images appear sharp to me. But adjust to your tastes in Custom Mode. Much better than Standard Mode. Also see ST60 threads in Plasma Displays forum.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-13-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 484
This is the wrong place for your post, Post in the ST60 Series discussion thread and those settings are so far out in left field they are not even remotely accurate.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #4 of 10 Old 12-13-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

The default mode on this TV is Standard Mode, which is a bit dim and dull. Go into Picture Settings menu and change to Custom Mode. Under Pro Settings change panel brightness to High. Have AGC on 12. Put gamma detail on S-curve. Then the TV is plenty bright. In fact, I have Brightness set to 0. Have CATS turned off. And to make the picture sharper, turn Sharpness to 85 to 90. Then this TV is very bright, with vivid colors that pop. Contrast 95. And images are sharp. Although some don't like the sharpness this high, it made the images appear sharp to me. But adjust to your tastes in Custom Mode. Much better than Standard Mode. Also see ST60 threads in Plasma Displays forum.

if you're going to do all that, you could save yourself the effort and just put the set in Vivid mode defaults
post #5 of 10 Old 12-13-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Quote:

Terrible advice for anyone seeking a correct image!
post #6 of 10 Old 12-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Alan, I think Tyler was trying to be funny.

Dunno.

G

President, Lion Audio Video Consultants Inc.
Lead THX Video Standards Instructor
post #7 of 10 Old 12-13-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
^I don't think he was. :|
post #8 of 10 Old 12-13-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen View Post

Alan, I think Tyler was trying to be funny.

Dunno.

G
So was I...... Ok, actually not. Perhaps Tyler can clear this up. I failed to see the jest. Maybe you know Tyler, personally. It has served me reasonably well to take people at their word at first encounter.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-16-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:

What type of media are you watching? If movies are your primary use for the TV, then I would recommend having it calibrated. If you aren't in the market for that, I would look at d-nice's settings and recommendations. Beyond that, I would avoid using anyone else's settings as they are going to be tailored to their screen and taste, although you will likely end up better off than you are now. The suggestions above (sharpness near max???) are pretty misguided as far as anything resembling proper, but if calibration is not an option for you then it is just a matter of taste anyway.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-16-2013, 07:12 PM

failed to mention the option of purchasing a basic calibration package and doing it yourself. You will get good results if you research a bit, but beware, it is addictive...
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page