post #1 of 42 Old 01-09-2014, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 508
calman-colochecker-screenshot-12-30-13.png

(Seattle, WA) – January 9, 2014

SpectraCal, Inc. announced today the release of a free software, intended to provide professionals in production, post-production, and broadcasting industries a tool for testing the accuracy of their video monitors.

The software, CalMAN ColorChecker, will be available for free download beginning this week. Although CalMAN ColorChecker has been available for purchase individually and as an included workflow in other CalMAN products, SpectraCal has never before offered CalMAN software free of charge.

CalMAN ColorChecker

“ColorChecker is a revolutionary product for the studio industry, and we want everyone using it,” said L.A. Heberlein, SpectraCal’s CEO.

With a probe and a pattern generator, CalMAN ColorChecker allows users to chart the performance of their monitor and verify that the content displayed on screen is true to industry standards, such as Rec709, Digital Cinema, and Adobe RGB.

“ColorChecker gives users confidence that their monitor is performing reliably, and it only takes minutes to run,” emphasized SpectraCal’s Marketing Director, Joshua Quain.

ColorChecker also provides a useful platform for comparing color performance between displays, informing users of the degree to which one monitor’s performance varies from another. “Often times we hear from customers who are struggling to discover which of their monitors are closest to standards. With ColorChecker, you can easily test each monitor and find the closest match,” said Quain.

When creating the product, developers at SpectraCal envisioned studio professionals running ColorChecker daily. “It’s a quality assessment tool,” explained Founder and CTO, Derek Smith. “Run ColorChecker every morning when you come in, and know your video content is completely accurate for the rest of the work day.”

In effect, a successful run of CalMAN ColorChecker (indicated within the software by a green “go” light) will mean that the measured monitor is ready for use, while a red light indicates the device is in need of calibration.

“ColorChecker takes the guess work out of monitor calibration,” explained Quain. “If you’re using ColorChecker, you’ll know exactly when your monitor needs to be calibrated, and you can take the proper actions accordingly.”

In addition to offering ColorChecker at no cost to the user, SpectraCal has also eliminated all hardware restrictions for the software, meaning that ColorChecker supports a surprisingly wide range of probes and test pattern generators.

“You don’t have to buy our colorimeters to use this free software,” Quain said. “If you have any instruments in your shop already, CalMAN almost certainly supports them.”

CalMAN ColorChecker requires no previous knowledge of calibration technology nor experience with CalMAN software.

The free software is available for download from SpectraCal’s website, at http://studio.spectracal.com/calman-colorchecker.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 01-10-2014, 12:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 84
The ted's cal disk will work with this sw or not all patterns are in the disk ?

thanks
post #3 of 42 Old 01-10-2014, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realzven View Post

The ted's cal disk will work with this sw or not all patterns are in the disk ?

thanks

Hello, yes there inside ColorChecker Classic / SG / SG Fleshtones with exact the pattern sequence order as CalMAN requests them. wink.gif

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
post #4 of 42 Old 01-10-2014, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

thanks, the right order in calman free software for display patterns is CC classic => CC SG => CC SG F ?

Thanks Ted wink.gif
post #5 of 42 Old 01-10-2014, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realzven View Post

thanks, the right order in calman free software for display patterns is CC classic => CC SG => CC SG F ?

Thanks Ted wink.gif

It's up to you since you select the ColorChecker Mode you want from CalMAN's right side panel:

Classic (24 Colors)

SG (96 Colors)

SG Fleshtones (19 Colors... these color patches are included in the SG also)

post #6 of 42 Old 01-10-2014, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

thanks Ted wink.gif
post #7 of 42 Old 01-10-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 98
The Benefits of measuring Arbitrary Color Points

The SpectraCal CalMAN ColorChecker is designed to validate those "in between" points often used in creating 3D LUTs. That is where the true displays performance can be measured. Why would you measure only the same points used by 3D LUTs all you are doing is validating the 3D LUT is correct. By measuring those "in between" points you are also validating the displays internal video path and processing is correct.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #8 of 42 Old 01-10-2014, 05:00 PM

Liked: 30
Cool!!! I was just thinking how it would be awesome of CalMAN 5 had flesh tone patterns available! So, this software is NOT a part of CalMAN v5 Enthusiast and should be downloaded separately to be used?
post #9 of 42 Old 01-10-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

Cool!!! I was just thinking how it would be awesome of CalMAN 5 had flesh tone patterns available! So, this software is NOT a part of CalMAN v5 Enthusiast and should be downloaded separately to be used?

It's just a specifically limited workflow. It's in your list of workflows, and the workflow is enabled for all versions of CalMAN.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #10 of 42 Old 01-12-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Excellent tool, I really like that the retail D3 is supported. Would it be possible to have the pattern window output video levels? (as it is now I have to load an eeColor slot in full range to do the verification).

Another question: How is "native gamma" used for calculating targets? Does it supersede the BT.1886 targets?
post #11 of 42 Old 01-12-2014, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 149
Two questions before I go ahead and actually download and give this a go. Will this support my ColorMunki Photo spectro and what media file patterns work with this which can be run through an HTPC? So far it looks like only Ted's disc is supported and it's not free from the looks of it.

Sony 32" EX400 calibrated settings
Panasonic 50" S60 calibrated settings
HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT660 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60
post #12 of 42 Old 01-12-2014, 10:55 AM

Hmm.. when running Saturation Sweeps, CalMAN provides info on far off RGBs are in relation to that sweep. This helps those who have RGB CMS controls instead of saturation, hue, and luminance. Is the same info available for ColorChecker patterns? Without such data - there is no way to know where the error is for those with RGB controls or those with saturation/hue/luminance controls. If it often a specific saturation sweep accuracy or several of sweeps that cause a specific ColorChecker error.
post #13 of 42 Old 01-12-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

Excellent tool, I really like that the retail D3 is supported. Would it be possible to have the pattern window output video levels? (as it is now I have to load an eeColor slot in full range to do the verification).

Yes it's a checkbox under application preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

Another question: How is "native gamma" used for calculating targets? Does it supersede the BT.1886 targets?
Native gamma only applies to our Gamut run type for compatibility, and yes it supersede's the actual target gamma.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #14 of 42 Old 01-12-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

Hmm.. when running Saturation Sweeps, CalMAN provides info on far off RGBs are in relation to that sweep. This helps those who have RGB CMS controls instead of saturation, hue, and luminance. Is the same info available for ColorChecker patterns? Without such data - there is no way to know where the error is for those with RGB controls or those with saturation/hue/luminance controls. If it often a specific saturation sweep accuracy or several of sweeps that cause a specific ColorChecker error.

Our ColorChecker app is just for checking. The information is specifically designed not to be particularly useful to calibrate from the ColorChecker workflow, it's intent is to provide an overview of how accurate the display is with it's current settings.

Our Quick analysis workflow includes much of the same detail on the ColorChecker performance and many layouts for actual calibration.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #15 of 42 Old 01-12-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

Two questions before I go ahead and actually download and give this a go. Will this support my ColorMunki Photo spectro and what media file patterns work with this which can be run through an HTPC? So far it looks like only Ted's disc is supported and it's not free from the looks of it.

Yes the ColorMunki Photo/Design will work.

For an HTPC setup, you could use our client 3 pattern generator as the source. Just make sure you flip into PC levels if you're using a PC source.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #16 of 42 Old 01-13-2014, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Useless, since it doesn't seem to support X-rite's Colormunki Display even if implicit support can be concluded from the Colorchecker Quickstart Guide: "ColorChecker supports basically all available color meters, except the Spyder meters which have quality
consistency issues. CalMAN supports over 50 different measurement instruments, and climbing...." back to HCFR, thank you very much...
post #17 of 42 Old 01-13-2014, 06:02 AM

Liked: 10
As it is known that Colormunki Display is not suported by any third party software ...
post #18 of 42 Old 01-13-2014, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
...which is not exactly true (unless you refer to commercial third party software exclusively) and the quoted line doesn't explicitly say so, as it does for Spyder meters (which are actually supported)...anyway, nothing lost nothing gained, just let it be known...
post #19 of 42 Old 01-13-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post

Useless, since it doesn't seem to support X-rite's Colormunki Display even if implicit support can be concluded from the Colorchecker Quickstart Guide: "ColorChecker supports basically all available color meters, except the Spyder meters which have quality
consistency issues. CalMAN supports over 50 different measurement instruments, and climbing...." back to HCFR, thank you very much...

x-rite hasn't granted us a license to use that meter.

While we would love to support it, we also respect our partners and can't break licensing agreements with them. There is no official third party support for that meter for any software. HCFR uses an open source reversed engineered driver, if we used that driver our relationship with x-rite would be over.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #20 of 42 Old 01-13-2014, 11:31 AM

I figured it out - I had to edit the layout and simply place RGB Balance feature inside the layout window. Is there a way to make CalMAN windows bigger? I can't fit dE chart and RGB Balance chart on the same layout without super-squeezing stuff.
post #21 of 42 Old 01-16-2014, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

CalMAN for Studio (w/ColorChecker) 5.2.3 Build: 1415 Released @ 16 January 2014

Changes

Added the ColorChecker report (Display Calibration Certificate) at all Business level licenses.
Added Client 3 as a pattern source for the Basic and Control licenses.
Updated APL for finer control on supported devices.

Resolved Issues

Fixed issue where only 100% saturations were available for the DPGs and AVS disc.
Fixed issue with the new firmware for the DPG-2000. This version of CalMAN now requires at least firmware version 2.0.1.86. This new firmware can be downloaded here.
Fixed issue that was causing Collection Average for Gamut Saturation and Gamut Luminance sweeps to not update properly.
Fixed issue where Luminance Sweeps were reading 100%s twice for each color.
Fixed varied stability issues.

Download CalMAN 5 for Studio 5.2.3 (Build 1415)

post #22 of 42 Old 01-16-2014, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

CalMAN for Studio (w/ColorChecker) 5.2.3 Build: 1416 Released @ 17 January 2014

Changes

Added a check box for Check for updates under Application Preferences. Unchecking this will reduce the timing for updates to every 90 days.

Resolved Issues

Fixed issue with Saturations AutoCal.

Download CalMAN 5 for Studio 5.2.3 (Build 1416)

post #23 of 42 Old 01-22-2014, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Visual Color Comparison - A Report on Display Accuracy Evaluation

This report examines an advanced method of using electronic measurements to provide a direct visual comparison between an expanded selection of desired target colors and a display’s actual measured colors.
derekjsmith likes this.

post #24 of 42 Old 01-22-2014, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm still a bit confused, is there or isn't there a free calibration disk/mp4 that can display the required swatches for this free Colorchecker software? Sotti mentioned using Client3 which I believe requires you to have a license for CalMan and somebody else mentioned Ted's disk that apparently is not free either. As much as I love and appreciate to see software of this caliber given away for free, If the goal is to have everybody use this software as a free validation/marketing tool to help sell CalMan, you kinda need the disk to support it to also be free, no? Seems like a circular dependency otherwise.
post #25 of 42 Old 01-22-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegeX View Post

I'm still a bit confused, is there or isn't there a free calibration disk/mp4 that can display the required swatches for this free Colorchecker software? Sotti mentioned using Client3 which I believe requires you to have a license for CalMan and somebody else mentioned Ted's disk that apparently is not free either. As much as I love and appreciate to see software of this caliber given away for free, If the goal is to have everybody use this software as a free validation/marketing tool to help sell CalMan, you kinda need the disk to support it to also be free, no? Seems like a circular dependency otherwise.

The SpectraCal Client 3 is free to use as a generator. The builtin pattern generator in CalMAN is free. Ted has his disks that also supports ColorChecker.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Derek

post #26 of 42 Old 01-22-2014, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith View Post

The SpectraCal Client 3 is free to use as a generator. The builtin pattern generator in CalMAN is free. Ted has his disks that also supports ColorChecker.
Excellent, thanks for the quick response. The only concern I have now is bringing my laptop's video card into the verification chain when in normal viewing conditions it would not exist. I'm concerned that I would attribute some color offset to the display when in reality it is due to the GPU as the source. I realize that there are many GPU's out there but does SpectraCal have any guidance on how to best make your GPU transparent or perhaps have you done some studies on common chipsets with built-in graphics? I've never used a video card as a source so maybe this is a non-issue and most of them "do the right thing" and I've just been jaded by the number of problems external devices tend to have.
post #27 of 42 Old 01-22-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegeX View Post

Excellent, thanks for the quick response. The only concern I have now is bringing my laptop's video card into the verification chain when in normal viewing conditions it would not exist. I'm concerned that I would attribute some color offset to the display when in reality it is due to the GPU as the source. I realize that there are many GPU's out there but does SpectraCal have any guidance on how to best make your GPU transparent or perhaps have you done some studies on common chipsets with built-in graphics? I've never used a video card as a source so maybe this is a non-issue and most of them "do the right thing" and I've just been jaded by the number of problems external devices tend to have.

Correct we do not recommend using the output of your computer as a reference pattern unless your computer is you source as in HTPC. But for just getting an idea on how this all works it will be fine.

Derek

post #28 of 42 Old 02-04-2014, 12:22 AM

Liked: 11
I'm trying to get started using ColorChecker. I had selected the AVS 1.2b as a source by mistake - I had intended to select 1.3. But whenever I try to correct the mistake a 'canceling' window comes up and hangs for as long as I'll give it. Is there something else I can do to get the source selection changed or is this long hang expected? I'm sure this is a basic fail on my part but would appreciate a way out.

Thanks
post #29 of 42 Old 02-04-2014, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member

you can't try colorchecker with avs disk, try ted's calibration disk or gcd wink.gif
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #30 of 42 Old 02-13-2014, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

CalMAN 5.3.0 RC2 for Studio (w/ ColorChecker) Build: 1430 Released @ 13 February 2014

Resolved Issues

Resolved an issue with the DVDO TPG where the levels were incorrect.

Resolved issue with the data format of .cfe files for Flanders Scientific displays was incorrect.

Resolved issue where data was not populating to the View 3D Luminance layout of the Color Cube (3D LUT) workflow.

Resolved issue where the button to connect to the pattern source on the Monitor – Advanced workflow was not working.

Download Link for CalMAN 5 for Studio (w/ ColorChecker) 5.3.0 RC2 (Build 1430)

Reply Display Calibration