AVS Forum banner

THX Certified Calibration Workshop at CES 2014

Tags
ces 2014
4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Andrei_VVB 
#1 ·

I survived level one of the THX Certified Calibration Workshop in Las Vegas. It laid a foundation for the next two days, which Scott Wilkinson (who already took the workshop) described as "drinking out of a fire hose." While I did already have some familiarity with the concepts behind video calibration—thanks to my experience with the world of printing and pre-press—the level-one class was extremely informative. You don't know what you don't know until you know it.

During day one, I learned about the basics of calibration, including setting brightness, contrast, and white balance. After a number of exercises and labs, I performed my first calibration. Thanks to the very favorable student/equipment ratio, I was able to get hours of hands-on time with the gear. I'm psyched, because once I pass the online exam, I'll earn the "Certified THX Professional" badge. 

However, I'm also here take the level two workshop, which digs much deeper into the technical aspects of performing a full, proper calibration. I imagine the fire hose will turned up to full blast. I've reserved a slot below this post so I can write about that experience. For now, I am immensely pleased with the new knowledge I gained in such a short time. It's hard to beat hands-on experience when it comes to learning a complex technical skill such as calibration, and the THX workshop provided just that.

Day one of the THX workshop involved a basic calibration of a flat-screen TV

Day two will involve projectors

Return to CES Master Post

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello is these pictures coming from 2014?

I see Chroma 5 and i1PRO1, both meters are discontinued.

BTW I'm sure it was a great experience from anyone who attended.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD  /t/1511196/thx-certified-calibration-workshop-at-ces-2014#post_24194825

Hello is these pictures coming from 2014?

I see Chroma 5 and i1PRO1, both meters are discontinued.

BTW I'm sure it was a great experience from anyone who attended.
It is from the 2014 class

#6 ·

It's worth revisiting this thread for a moment.

I passed my THX test and earned a certificate. I'm perfectly pleased with the knowledge I gained. However, I do strongly recommend that anyone thinking about taking the class consider two things: First, you need to already possess some knowledge of video standards and how calibration works—you don't want to spend that much time and money on a class you can't pass.

Second, the class itself not necessary if you are getting into calibration as a hobby. You can figure it all out on your own. The class and the certification is much more useful for a professional who wants to sharpen their skills and not make a fool of themselves when they are in a paying customers home. That's where the exposure to different brands of gear—both displays and measuring devices—comes in handy. It's also nice to be able to say "I'm a THX certified Pro," it rolls off the tongue quite nicely.

#8 ·
Greetings

THX uses their 6.5 % window boxes. They are not in the habit of recommending patterns to the public. The patterns are not APL patterns.

regards

Reactions: ConnecTEDDD
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.