How long before probes go bad? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-13-2014, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
At times I use my i1Display Pro for 18hrs a day testing many things. Is that going to damage the probe or make if inaccurate? Is it possible to have X-Rite recalibrate it? How long do such probes last?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-13-2014, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 66
perhaps you should contact x-rite and ask them. They have a responsive support ticket system.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-13-2014, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacediver View Post

perhaps you should contact x-rite and ask them. They have a responsive support ticket system.

The cost to send it at Xrite (Germany) is higher from getting a new i1d3 meter, if you include the UPS next day delivery they only offer for the meter return, including all paperwork for customs etc...

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #4 of 10 Old 01-14-2014, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member

I meant to ask them about longevity and usage.

But that is interesting that sending it back to them costs more than a new one. Good to know!
post #5 of 10 Old 01-14-2014, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacediver View Post

I meant to ask them about longevity and usage.

But that is interesting that sending it back to them costs more than a new one. Good to know!

The price for re-certification is accepted (I mean the total cost including insurance/delivery cost etc) for i1PRO1/2 meter price range.

I don't think they are offering certification of i1d3 because a brand new one is not coming with NIST Certification Papers etc.

But someone if it's interested can send to X-Rite an RMA request to find out more details. smile.gif

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #6 of 10 Old 01-17-2014, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 102
As I've heard, the newest xrite color-meters tend to drift after the one-year mark, but significantly less than their older models due to the newer ones having a more sealed path. If you expose it to a lot of temperature/humidity changes by field use, it will drift faster. If your long sessions somehow cause the unit to heat up significantly, that can also hasten its gradual drift a little.

I believe it might be possible to have it recalibrated/offset measured at a dedicated camera shop. You'd have to call around, but the worst they can do is tell you "no". That's indeed sad to hear that it's so prohibitively expensive to simply send it in to the company for a tune. frown.gif

If I'm getting models confused and you're asking about a spectro, then I've yet to learn much about their drifting possibilities aside from them being significantly more stable over time.

Reading up on colormeter drift is the one thing that's kept me from jumping in on the fun; so if an inexpensive fix pops up, color me interested!

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-17-2014, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Since a colorimeter used filters that degrade, how could you recertify it? Once a filter drifts you cannot undrift it. A spectro has sensors that can be radjusted.

I am however not a knowledgeable person at all, so if someone can tell me Im wrong please do.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-17-2014, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

I believe they have an EEPROM to which offset tables can be written.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-18-2014, 01:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Would such a service cost more than a new meter, spacediver? How often should one buy a new colorimeter? Once a year? Would be a shame to have lots of pucks building up in storage because of that.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-18-2014, 01:39 AM
Advanced Member

Curt Palme offers recalibration for the i1 display pro for $150 (scroll down till you see the second from bottom price entry).

As for how often one should recalibrate or purchase, I really have no idea. For what it's worth, I got my DTP-94 second hand, and it reads very close to my i1 pro on my CRT.

I do hear that the i1 display pro is a solid piece of engineering. I do wonder how much it would actually drift over time, if treated well. I suppose we'll find out in a couple years!
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page