Creating my own grayscale slides - AVS Forum
Display Calibration > Creating my own grayscale slides
Donkey_Lips's Avatar Donkey_Lips 10:25 PM 02-03-2014
Hi All,

I'm sorry if this is a ridiculous question, but i would really like to create some custom grayscale patterns to calibrate my tv. At the moment, I'm just using MS Paint to create a few squares on a 1080p background. My questions is, what RGB values should i assign to each level to get an accurate grayscale ramp from 16-235? My thought is that it would be a consistent step between each, but I'm honestly not sure. There's a good chance I'm also thinking about it completely backwards, so any insight is very much appreciated. It's just much faster for me to skip through slides on a USB than use a blu-ray. Thanks again!

prsut's Avatar prsut 11:25 PM 02-03-2014
hmmm, seems like wasting your time.
Why you do not download AVS HD709 mp4 version for free? Also TED's calibrations disc is available for download for USB calibration (symbolic fee is required compared what you get) with all needed (and much, MUCH more) patterns for Lightspace, Chromapure and CalMAN.
realzven's Avatar realzven 12:34 AM 02-04-2014
+1 with prsut, the ted's disk is very usefull with an impressive number of patterns to calibrate and for checking clipping, color temp, sharpness, mapping (video level or pc level) and much more...
chunon's Avatar chunon 05:38 AM 02-04-2014
There are also Mascoir's Calibration disc and GCD which both work well.
ConnecTEDDD's Avatar ConnecTEDDD 09:43 AM 02-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

There are also Mascoir's Calibration disc and GCD which both work well.

Hello, with respect to the above 2 disks you mention, there is not support for CalMAN ColorChecker SG / SG Fleshtones to these disks as far I know.

Also note that ChromaPure ColorChecker vs. CalMAN ColorChecker Classic RGB Triplets are completely different.
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar PlasmaPZ80U 09:47 AM 02-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

Also note that ChromaPure ColorChecker vs. CalMAN ColorChecker Classic RGB Triplets are completely different.

Aren't the saturation sweeps also different between the two software packages?
ConnecTEDDD's Avatar ConnecTEDDD 10:21 AM 02-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

Aren't the saturation sweeps also different between the two software packages?

Hello, I will give one simple example for all to see that each calibration software need it's own calibration disk and not all available disks can support with accurate generaTED patterns our both popular calibration softwares (CalMAN/ChromaPure):

For 4-Step Saturation (100SAT-100AMP):

50% Red Saturation has RGB Triplet for:

CalMAN Engine: 235.115.115
ChromaPure Engine: 191.96.96

Disk.gif

Totally different....

11/21-Step Grayscale Targets are the only ones that 100% maching, among with the 6 1-Point CMS Patterns (RGBCMY) with 100% Saturation / 100% Amplitude/Stimulus Level.

All the Saturation/ColorChecker are very different. This difference is important for those who don't use an external pattern generator since by using an External Generator the required patterns are generated with exact RGB Triplets as each software requests them. wink.gif
Up
Mobile  Desktop