2Likes

post #1 of 48 Old 02-04-2014, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
http://www.dvdo.com/avlabtpg/
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/hepatology-publishes-12-week-phase-iii-extension-study-data-of-sebelipase-alfa-in-adults-with-late-onset-lal-deficiency-2013-02-04?reflink=MW_news_stmp

It's the newest 4k generator from DVDO. MSRP is $1299. No word if it does 3d LUT as far as I can see. Size is great and has MHL. Calman 5 support
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 02-04-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsform1 View Post

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/hepatology-publishes-12-week-phase-iii-extension-study-data-of-sebelipase-alfa-in-adults-with-late-onset-lal-deficiency-2013-02-04?reflink=MW_news_stmp

It's the newest 4k generator from DVDO. MSRP is $1299. No word if it does 3d LUT as far as I can see. Size is great and has MHL. Calman 5 support

This important detail is something that someone from CalMAN crew can confirm, if it can be used as a 8bit RGB Triplet Generator, and not only as RGB Percentage generator like the older DVDO products were was not possible to be used as a 3D LUT Cube pattern generators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #3 of 48 Old 02-04-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

This important detail is something that someone from CalMAN crew can confirm, if it can be used as a 8bit RGB Triplet Generator, and not only as RGB Percentage generator like the older DVDO products were was not possible to be used as a 3D LUT Cube pattern generators.

Unfortunately it is exactly the same pattern generator capability as in the older Duo products.

None the less, we will be adding support for it.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #4 of 48 Old 02-04-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

This is basically the guts of a Duo with a 4k HDMI transmitter. The form factor is really small and portable.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #5 of 48 Old 02-04-2014, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wow... Why put out a new product that not capable of technology that the Lumagens and Accupel has had for over a year? What would be nice would be a Lumagen pattern generator and Accupel video processor. Don't get me wrong I like DVDO, but basically putting a DUO with 4k patterns and no processing....
post #6 of 48 Old 02-09-2014, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'm on ISF seminar in Amsterdam right now and we have opportunity to play with this device. It is very fast and has a nice remote to control the patterns. 4K resolutions are supported including 60Hz with 4:4:4 chroma subsampling, anyway its firmware is still in alpha-stage and the amount of patterns is limited to ISF workflow in calman. The good news is that there is the DVDO's Director of product management - David Feller and he is open to suggestion!

He already promised custom patterns through USB (aka RGB triplets). We've also discussed:
- 3D patterns
- more pre-calibration patterns like precision color clipping, etc.
- motion patterns (for evaluating display performance), but that may be a little harder
- digital signal evaluation - the device has HDMI Input so there could be cursors to point a pixel and check its digital value

Did I mention that this device is USB powered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith View Post

This is basically the guts of a Duo with a 4k HDMI transmitter. The form factor is really small and portable.

We've just discovered that if the device is connected as DUO it will do all triplets including color checker. If connected as AVLab-TPG it won't. Color checker fails wink.gif
post #7 of 48 Old 02-09-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoper View Post

We've just discovered that if the device is connected as DUO it will do all triplets including color checker. If connected as AVLab-TPG it won't. Color checker fails wink.gif

need/want Full triplet, not just R%G%B% triplet

And update the Duo's as well,
it's easier to implement/code full triplet vs %, if there is no space, remove % and do full triplet. I'm sure they "Can Do It!"
Quote:
He already promised custom patterns through USB (aka RGB triplets).

That's being advertised (from what I'm reading) as a feature already, the units there don't even have R%G%B% now?

Quote:
Dynamically generated patterns via USB control

I still don't see all the output options available / specs - do you have anything from David on this?
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Need to find a Professional Calibrator?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #8 of 48 Old 02-09-2014, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

need/want Full triplet, not just R%G%B% triplet

And update the Duo's as well,
it's easier to implement/code full triplet vs %, if there is no space, remove % and do full triplet. I'm sure they "Can Do It!"

Hi Turbe, just checking, you want to be able to call up as custom pattern with 4 parameters, r,g,b, window size, with r,g,b as exact hex values not percentage correct? 8, 10, or 12 bits each depending on color depth mode. And perhaps ire of window background as well?
D
post #9 of 48 Old 02-09-2014, 09:44 AM

And 'promise' is a big word. We are collecting inputs now.
post #10 of 48 Old 02-09-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfeller View Post

Hi Turbe, just checking, you want to be able to call up as custom pattern with 4 parameters, r,g,b, window size, with r,g,b as exact hex values not percentage correct? 8, 10, or 12 bits each depending on color depth mode. And perhaps ire of window background as well?
D
Quote:

And 'promise' is a big word. We are collecting inputs now.

Hi David,

yes that would be great, at all bit depths (or at the maximum - we do the conversion down).. one command for all and/or set size and background with two separate commands*).

* I would think you would want the option to change those two with the remote as well

As far as priority, I'd put #1)full triplet, #2)size and #3)background (in that order) before 3D patterns! The market for your generator would be greater with the LUT support here / coming.

If you did the same with the Duo, I think you would increase sales as well.

ControlCAL™

post #11 of 48 Old 02-09-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

D

I read through your post a little too fast.. Input exact R value, G value and B value with Decimal vs Hex preferred..

ControlCAL™

post #12 of 48 Old 02-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
Hi David

From the point of view of my Duo which hopefully will benefit from any improvements.

I think the problem is that each colour as a non decimal point percentage can only have 100 values per R,G and B channel whereas the colours in video seem to go from 0 to 250+.per channel (sorry my theory and maths are suspect).

The Duo is great as a Pattern Generator but is restricted by this constraint.

Any method to overcome this would be good for your PG and a sales stimulus for the Duo.

Simply adding a single decimal point to existing integer only percentages would give us more patterns than we will ever need..
post #13 of 48 Old 02-10-2014, 01:13 AM

Understood, let me talk to spectral and see what command format they prefer. That is a simple request. What other packages does everyone use... chromapure, what else?
post #14 of 48 Old 02-10-2014, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Understood, let me talk to spectral and see what command format they prefer. That is a simple request. What other packages does everyone use... chromapure, what else?

Thanks David,

Certainly Spectracal are unable to use your PG for any 3D LUT users via say an eeColorbox,or a Fuji or more expensive external boxes.
They are currently using the Lumagen range (which has the capability to display all patterns) .

Other software is Light Illusion which also uses Lumagen products for the same purpose.

Tom H. has not yet entered into the 3D LUT area.
post #15 of 48 Old 02-10-2014, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

As far as priority, I'd put #1)full triplet, #2)size and #3)background (in that order) before 3D patterns! The market for your generator would be greater with the LUT support here / coming.

If you did the same with the Duo, I think you would increase sales as well.[/quote]

+1
From what I here the new Panasonic will have the capability to have 3D LUT built into the sets. This would be a great for this unit.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #16 of 48 Old 02-10-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1
From what I here the new Panasonic will have the capability to have 3D LUT built into the sets. This would be a great for this unit.

You forgot to place the start quote BB Code (quoted my post) biggrin.gif

ControlCAL™

post #17 of 48 Old 02-10-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by PE06MCG View Post

Other software is Light Illusion which also uses Lumagen products for the same purpose.

Tom H. has not yet entered into the 3D LUT area.
Um, ChromaPure has supported the 125-point and 729-point LUT from the Lumagen since it was released.
Gregg Loewen and ConnecTEDDD like this.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #18 of 48 Old 02-10-2014, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

Um, ChromaPure has supported the 125-point and 729-point LUT from the Lumagen since it was released.

Apologies Tom.

I was not aware of this definitely something I should have known.
post #19 of 48 Old 02-10-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Also it would be useful to be able to show custom patterns or images, in .png format at least. That's a feature of my VideoForge that I like and use. Custom patterns can be very useful for specialized tests, and images can help you check your work as you go along to catch any problems that might be evading the selected measurements.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

touring calibrator
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

post #20 of 48 Old 02-10-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Also it would be useful to be able to show custom patterns or images, in .png format at least. That's a feature of my VideoForge that I like and use. Custom patterns can be very useful for specialized tests, and images can help you check your work as you go along to catch any problems that might be evading the selected measurements.

As far as i know it's already supported.
post #21 of 48 Old 02-10-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
I noticed Menu and Exit buttons on the IR remote. Are these functional?

If so, is there any info on the menu structure?

Ken Whitcomb

Calibrations Inc
Indianapolis, IN

Calibrations Inc.
Indianapolis, IN

spectroradiometer equipped
post #22 of 48 Old 02-10-2014, 04:07 PM

If you hit the menu button you'll be able to control the output signal parameters such as:
- bit depth (8/10/12)
- dynamic range (normal/full)
- signal format (rgb,ycbcr 422, ycbcr 444)
- framerate: SD and HD framerates are supported, as well as 4K (24, 25, 30Hz) with full capability, and 4K (50Hz, 60Hz) with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling only.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #23 of 48 Old 02-10-2014, 05:04 PM

First let me say I am somewhat biased about this unit as a reseller and co-developer. This is the best low cost generator I have seen in a while - we put it to the test in Amsterdam and got great results and feedback. My guess is David (DVDO) has loads of enhancements underway already - easy to upgrade in the field via mini USB port. We used it stand-alone into several 4K panels and even went into a QD780B (Quantum Data 4K Analyzer) to see the exact formats coming in. We also drove it with CalMAN for 3 days with no glitches except the latest release candidate that causes the color checker to go batty. The previous version - where you select a DVDO-Duo worked just fine and for basic grayscale and CMS calibration it was flawless and very fast and you can power it right off the display or computer. Obviously, I will keep my QD780B - it is bar none the best HDMI analyzer/generator in the field, but for about an 8th the price I would definitely have the new DVDO TPG also. If you are seeking to purchase the new TPG AVProAlliance has 100 units landing in the next few weeks.

post #24 of 48 Old 02-11-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
How are resolution patterns displayed? Can it display a range of burst frequencies up to 4k, and if so can the size and frequency range of the bursts be continuously varied? Images? Thanks. -- John
post #25 of 48 Old 03-03-2014, 02:01 PM

Yes, they are functional buttons, you get and OSD menu.

post #26 of 48 Old 03-14-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks like the AVLabTPG now supports full RGB Triplet (though I've only seen 0-255 listed):
Quote:
***Update***
AVLabTPG now supports RGB Triplets! (RGB 0-255)

Hopefully they can be addressed at 10-bit and 12-bit (supports 8, 10 and 12 output per Datasheet*)

*Rev. 2 Datasheet doesn't show Full Triplet Support, time for Rev. 3?
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

ControlCAL™

post #27 of 48 Old 03-15-2014, 03:09 AM
Advanced Member

This is hopefully good news for Duo owners as well, however I am a little confused by the data sheet.

As I understood it the PG used the Duo as a basis for hardware then combines it with parts of the Quick6 to give 4K.
I notice that the Duo 'works in' up to 10 bit both horizontally and vertically according to its chip data yet the PG claims to be able to process 12 bit (as well as 10 bit). Perhaps they are different things and it still 'works in' 10 bit?

If not it would seem to indicate that it does not use the same chip as the Duo which would be bad news for those of us who would hope for a firmware update on the Duo (to get the 0-255 capability).
turbe likes this.
post #28 of 48 Old 04-24-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 471
New AVLab TPG Firmware Update Version 01.01 Released

The Enhancements

* Added new patterns.

- Sharpness
- 75% in each color (default for remote)
- ANSI contrast 3x3, 4x4 bwb and wbw
- half patterns (for testing source calibrations)

* Added new output format RGB limited.

* New Firmware update option - when in normal operating mode connected via USB to a PC, press F/W update button at any time to enter F/W update (mass storage) mode.

* Added new AA serial command that supports full (0-255) triplets with APL control - this new command is in addition to the existing AF (0-100%) IRE triplet command.

*Triplet command includes R/G/B in 0-255, input range, output range, output window size, window background color, output format.

* Improved remote control response.

* Added serial commands to control output format, bit depth, range (for inclusion in CMS software control).

* Updated pass-through mode - disable test patterns, pass EDID back to input.

Download Link

S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #29 of 48 Old 05-01-2014, 12:11 AM

Liked: 18
Am I right to presume that it does not support 3D frame packed/SBS/TopBottom formats at the moment?
post #30 of 48 Old 05-01-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatesh_m View Post

Am I right to presume that it does not support 3D frame packed/SBS/TopBottom formats at the moment?
They are working on 3D but haven't released it yet.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page