SpectraCal Partners with EIZO to Provide Calibration and Direct-Load 3D LUT Support for ColorEdge Monitors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 02-05-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 462
February 5, 2014

(Seattle, WA) EIZO Corporation and SpectraCal, Inc. announced today new calibration technology within SpectraCal’s CalMAN software for calibrating and loading 3D LUTs to EIZO’s ColorEdge monitors.

With CalMAN’s new support for the ColorEdge monitors, the latest version of the software can be used for both monitor calibration and 3D LUT (three-dimensional look up table) creation. The EIZO monitor – which has a built-in colorimeter – also acts as a pattern generator for CalMAN.

eizo-color-edge.png

“Because EIZO supplies all the hardware, CalMAN 5.3 is literally all you need for an effective calibration solution,” explained SpectraCal’s Director of Marketing, Joshua Quain.

“It’s the wave of the future,” added Derek Smith, SpectraCal Founder and Chief Technical Officer.

EIZO ColorEdge Monitors are the first monitors for what CalMAN is calling “direct-load 3D LUTs” – wherein 3D LUT calibrations are written directly to the device, eliminating the need for intermediary software.

This new capability within CalMAN for loading LUT calibrations directly to the connected monitor is the first of its kind. No other calibration software is yet able to communicate with connected devices in this way.

The EIZO ColorEdge monitors are also the first monitors supported by CalMAN with built-in calibration hardware, supplying both the meter and pattern generator for calibrations.

eizo-monitor-front.png

SpectraCal partnered with EIZO to develop CalMAN’s new capabilities. Hiroshi Nagai, EIZO’s Global Product Manager, complimented SpectraCal on the new technology: “We’re pleased to see SpectraCal bringing the power of their software to our monitors.”

Smith additionally praised EIZO for the ease with which the ColorEdge monitor can be calibrated: “You never want to use the word ‘perfect,’ but after you apply a CalMAN LUT to a ColorEdge, the results are nearly impossible to improve upon.”

Support for EIZO ColorEdge monitors is available with version 5.3 of CalMAN Studio.

CalMAN 5.3 is available for download here.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Nice, does this work with all eizo coloredge monitors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

EIZO ColorEdge Monitors are the first monitors for what CalMAN is calling “direct-load 3D LUTs” – wherein 3D LUT calibrations are written directly to the device, eliminating the need for intermediary software.

I believe the Dolby PRM-4200/4220 also supports direct loading of 3D LUTs (although these cost around $40k!)
post #3 of 27 Old 02-05-2014, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacediver View Post

Nice, does this work with all eizo coloredge monitors?

Quote:

I believe the Dolby PRM-4200/4220 also supports direct loading of 3D LUTs (although these cost around $40k!)

Correct, I'm seeing this as an option to direct upload the LUT with my LightSpace Full CMS here. wink.gif

I believe CalMAN will support this soon.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
post #4 of 27 Old 02-05-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

Correct, I'm seeing this as an option to direct upload the LUT with my LightSpace Full CMS here. wink.gif

Supports this now, 5.3.0.

You can connect directly to the Eizo, use it's built-in pattern generator and built-in meter on supported monitors. We can calibrate grayscale and CMS on monitors that only support that. Then where the monitors support it, we also support writing 3D LUTs directly to the monitor as well.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #5 of 27 Old 02-05-2014, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

Quote:

You can connect directly to the Eizo, use it's built-in pattern generator and built-in meter on supported monitors. We can calibrate grayscale and CMS on monitors that only support that. Then where the monitors support it, we also support writing 3D LUTs directly to the monitor as well.

Joel, is 5.3.0 Ultimate/Studio supports direct 1D+3D-LUT uploading for Dolby PRM-4200/4220 to it's 2x 3D LUT and 4x 1D LUT slots from inside CalMAN?

post #6 of 27 Old 02-05-2014, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Joel, what is the cube size that the 3D LUT Capable EIZO ColorEdge Monitors support?

post #7 of 27 Old 02-05-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Joel, what is the cube size that the 3D LUT Capable EIZO ColorEdge Monitors support?

They are 17^3, I'd have to double check with Derek on the bit depth.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #8 of 27 Old 02-05-2014, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

They are 17^3, I'd have to double check with Derek on the bit depth.

I have seen that the hi-end models have 16-bit internal processing, 12-bit 3D LUT Tables & 10-bit Video Data path using DisplayPort connection.

post #9 of 27 Old 02-05-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Joel, is 5.3.0 Ultimate/Studio supports direct 1D+3D-LUT uploading for Dolby PRM-4200/4220 to it's 2x 3D LUT and 4x 1D LUT slots from inside CalMAN?

We don't connect to the Dolby's directly, but we do produce .itx files with our cube generator that can be imported into those Monitors. I'm not sure exactly when that was added, but it's been in for quite a while.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #10 of 27 Old 02-05-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

I have seen that the hi-end models have 16-bit internal processing, 12-bit 3D LUT Tables & 10-bit Video Data path using DisplayPort connection.

All data we write directly to the Eizo's are 16bit for 1D and 3D LUTs.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #11 of 27 Old 02-06-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 338
We have LightSpace and CalMAN producing LUTs for Eizo and Flanders Scientific. When are we going to see this available on CE displays, if ever? It would be nice to eliminate the external processors all together, at least where 3D LUTs are concerned. smile.gif
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #12 of 27 Old 02-06-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

We have LightSpace and CalMAN producing LUTs for Eizo and Flanders Scientific. When are we going to see this available on CE displays, if ever? It would be nice to eliminate the external processors all together, at least where 3D LUTs are concerned. smile.gif

We are telling any manufacturer that will listen, that is the right thing to do.

We'll see if anyone takes us up on our recommendations. We are also writing the LUTs directly into the TV Logic monitors and an unannounced monitor as well. But as of this instant we haven't seen a CE display with a 3D LUT yet.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #13 of 27 Old 02-06-2014, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

''This new capability within CalMAN for loading LUT calibrations directly to the connected monitor is the first of its kind. No other calibration software is yet able to communicate with connected devices in this way.''

Derek, Joel, this statement is not 100% correct, I believe you have ignored that the LightSpace was the first software that was able to support a direct 3D LUT upload within the Software or use the Eizo Internal Patch Generator.

For more details, I will post here some of my old posts about this:

14 July 2013 came the Beta Build of LightSpace with Eizo Support, here is my post.

22 July 2013 came the final release to public of LightSpace CMS 6.3.5.1704 with Eizo Support, here is my post.

28 August 2013 Eizo's Official News Archive Link

August 2013 Light Illusion's Official Press Release Archive Link.

Maybe this was something ignored by mistake during the announcement press release writing.

I'm telling this since I'm both LightSpace and CalMAN licence owner view.
spacediver likes this.

post #14 of 27 Old 02-06-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:

Quote:

We are telling any manufacturer that will listen, that is the right thing to do.

We'll see if anyone takes us up on our recommendations. We are also writing the LUTs directly into the TV Logic monitors and an unannounced monitor as well. But as of this instant we haven't seen a CE display with a 3D LUT yet.

It's a tough sell considering the small percentage of consumers who have even heard of any kind of display calibration. It's encouraging for 2014 that Vizio is aiming at picture improvement with full array local dimming so why not go beyond that? Perhaps the Chinese manufacturers could take leadership positions with LUT holding and processing. We have LightSpace, CalMAN, and Argyll softwares waiting for the opportunity.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #15 of 27 Old 02-06-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

''This new capability within CalMAN for loading LUT calibrations directly to the connected monitor is the first of its kind. No other calibration software is yet able to communicate with connected devices in this way.''

Derek, Joel, this statement is not 100% correct, I believe you have ignored that the LightSpace was the first software that was able to support a direct 3D LUT upload within the Software or use the Eizo Internal Patch Generator.

You are missing the point. We are not saying we are first to create 3D LUTs for Eizo, TVLogic etc... We are the first to be completely integrated. No other tools, software, process, etc... is needed. Startup CalMAN have it connect directly to the display and press calibrate. We do all the rest. For the Eizo we also integrate the meter and pattern generator within the display itself.

Derek

post #16 of 27 Old 02-06-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's a tough sell considering the small percentage of consumers who have even heard of any kind of display calibration. It's encouraging for 2014 that Vizio is aiming at picture improvement with full array local dimming so why not go beyond that? Perhaps the Chinese manufacturers could take leadership positions with LUT holding and processing. We have LightSpace, CalMAN, and Argyll softwares waiting for the opportunity.

Panasonic is putting 3D LUTs in their 4k broadcast monitors for us. I think it is just a matter of time.

Derek

post #17 of 27 Old 02-06-2014, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith View Post

You are missing the point. We are not saying we are first to create 3D LUTs for Eizo, TVLogic etc... We are the first to be completely integrated. No other tools, software, process, etc... is needed. Startup CalMAN have it connect directly to the display and press calibrate. We do all the rest. For the Eizo we also integrate the meter and pattern generator within the display itself.

The wording of the press release suggests the CalMAN is the first piece of software that can load 3D LUTs directly into the display.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #18 of 27 Old 02-06-2014, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacediver View Post

Quote:

The wording of the press release suggests the CalMAN is the first piece of software that can load 3D LUTs directly into the display.

LightSpace directly integrated with Eizo Monitors (without use of any external software) before seven months, at that time (July 2013); LightSpace It was the first, and at the time the only calibration system that offered that capability.

And any simple person that will read that CalMAN Press Release Announcement understands 100% that CalMAN was the first calibration software with that feature, but again this is not correct.

Derek, you can cut thes 2 lines text from Eizo press release and paste it to TVLogic press release, since for TVLogic is 100% Correct.

LightSpace is using an external TVLogic Software to upload the 3D-LUT to TVLogic Monitors while the CalMAN is directly connected to the TVLogic monitors. wink.gif

post #19 of 27 Old 02-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:

For the Eizo we also integrate the meter and pattern generator within the display itself.

Beware of this procedure:

The internal patterns that the Eizo generates - which are OPTIONAL - should only be used IF (!) you are using the Eizo on multiple workstations (e.g. post prod facility + on-set etc)... this is more of a "global" calibration.

If you are using the Eizo as a fixed screen on a workstation (and for that workstation only), u clearly wanna generate the patterns via the workstation's graphic card to compensate for contamination that the graphic card introduces. As an example, LS easily achieves this by generating the pattern via network - no need to install any sw on the workstation - very clean and gets you the calibration you want.

Haven't tested CM with Eizo yet, what's CM's approach here ? Do I need to install CM on the workstation ?

- M

PS: the internal meter is complete crap.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools: Display Calibration Tools
meter: Klein K-10 A, i1Pro, i1D3
AVS thread: Lightspace & Custom Color Patch Set & Gamma Calibration on Panasonic 65VT60
post #20 of 27 Old 02-06-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

You can always install the CalMAN Client for Mac or PC and use it at as a source if you want something that's plumbed all the way through the OS.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #21 of 27 Old 02-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You can always install the CalMAN Client for Mac or PC and use it at as a source if you want something that's plumbed all the way through the OS.

yup, always need to compensate for the OS on fixed workstations and - as u know - facilities don't wanna install any third party sw and for sure not 50 times on 50 different workstations...

Is it possible to export the 3D LUT from CM - w/o directly uploading it to the Eizo - so a LUT merge can be done ?

I posted about this in the other thread. One needs to do this procedure on some Eizo models in order to use ColorNavigator for pre-cal setup......

Not always great to have a "1-click solution"....

- M
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
AVS thread: Lightspace & Custom Color Patch Set & Gamma Calibration on Panasonic 65VT60
post #22 of 27 Old 02-06-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post

As an example, LS easily achieves this by generating the pattern via network - no need to install any sw on the workstation - very clean and gets you the calibration you want.

That doesn't make any sense, some piece of software has to be running on the computer to generate the patterns. You can't just plug the monitor into a DVI or Display port and talk to it over the network.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #23 of 27 Old 02-06-2014, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That doesn't make any sense, some piece of software has to be running on the computer to generate the patterns. You can't just plug the monitor into a DVI or Display port and talk to it over the network.

it absolutely makes sense. The key here is: NO INSTALLATION.

one copies a folder containing a standalone app and that handles everything. very handy and most importantly very clean.

Home users probably won't mind installing another piece of sw - more professional setups might (or in my experience: will).

- M
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

post #24 of 27 Old 02-06-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it absolutely makes sense. The key here is: NO INSTALLATION.

one copies a folder containing a standalone app and that handles everything. very handy and most importantly very clean.

Home users probably won't mind installing another piece of sw - more professional setups might (or in my experience: will).

- M

I see so you have to install a piece of software that doesn't use an MSI.

The semantics there are a bit tricky, but you're effectively doing exactly the same thing. You have to copy and execute a 3rd party piece of software on to the machine.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #25 of 27 Old 02-06-2014, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I see so you have to install a piece of software that doesn't use an MSI.

The semantics there are a bit tricky, but you're effectively doing exactly the same thing.

u don't install anything. It's a Java app, so u need Java. If the machine does not have Java, u can decide whether u install Java or not. If the machine does not have Java and u don't wanna install Java u could decide to install Lightspace profiling client or if u use CM, your Client sw.

but the real point is more that facilities don't wanna install any third party sw at all, with the exception for some technology based sw like Java, which is often already installed on workstations.

- M
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

post #26 of 27 Old 02-06-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

u don't install anything.

Coping an executable onto a machine, even if it's just mounting a thumbdrive IS installing the application.

You're running foreign code on the host machine. I know a bit of this is semantics, but I think it's important to say it's about how invasive the application is. You have to run a 3rd party app of some kind to generate patterns.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #27 of 27 Old 02-07-2014, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 215
With the existing LightSpace CMS Eizo integration, which has been available for some time, there is no copying of anything on to any machine.

The LightSpace PC just connects directly to the Eizo and controls all of the patch generation, including direct LUT upload after the profiling.
This is exactly the same as when using LightSpace with Lumagen, IS-Mini, Davio, Pluto, Tcube, etc. LUT boxes - fully integrated direct control.

The Java Application is used when profiling display connected to alternative OS based systems (Mac/Linux), with LightSpace running on a Windows based Laptop for example.
These are different approaches for different calibration requirements.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page