Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 656 Old 03-19-2014, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post

Gill, I feel your pain: ur app got outperformed by some new kid on the block (LS who ?) using ur own customized, optimized Argyll patch set.... what "insider" considered a secret weapon.

Now your right hand man tries to blame LS when u certainly must feel embarrassed knowing that wondering why repeated white reads differ on an ABL inherent display technology does show quite a lack of real world experience and knowledge (considering this has been mentioned on every forum in the last 8+ years), and should be known to everybody especially to folks associated with apps dealing with calibration of displays used for color critical application.

In my heart, I know that u know that blatantly blaming LS does not make Argyll better - it repeatedly gives u page views, word of mouth and internet publicity, but: it does not make Argyll better.

Let me personally assure u: LS is not perfect - yet. Argyll still has a chance and so does HCFR.

In an effort to support Argyll and the creative minds behind Argyll, I personally guarantee u right here that I (and a few others) cannot wait to test ur app more thoroughly once u support the K10. I guarantee u we will get to the bottom of all the propaganda, bogus claims and wishful thinking and we will bring much more relevant data to the table that clearly demonstrate the true performance of Argyll.

I think we can all agree that the future looks very bright for those of us who can remember command lines.

Mike-

Are you for real?! I think you may be taking this a bit too personal. After all, we are just talking about colors on our televisions, geez! I don't know where you live geographically, but maybe you are suffering from cabin fever from this winter we are having. You may want to get that checked out...

If i could nominate you for espn's C'MON MAN, i would...lol

C'MOOON MAN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 656 Old 03-19-2014, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1forsnow View Post

Mike-

Are you for real?! I think you may be taking this a bit too personal. After all, we are just talking about colors on our televisions, geez! I don't know where you live geographically, but maybe you are suffering from cabin fever from this winter we are having. You may want to get that checked out...

C'MOOON MAN!

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

if u are asking after reading my post if I take this "personal", then u are the C'mooooonnnn man of the decade !!!! tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

buddy, never winter here and for sure no cabin but you may wanna read my post again.... wink.gif

and if u don't think that Gill & Zoyd blaming LS for the Panny's ABL isn't funny (and something else) then I don't know what is....

In any case cheer up, I just watched Smaaauuugggg on my screen and it looked great ! biggrin.gifcool.gifbiggrin.gif
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools: Display Calibration Tools
meter: Klein K-10 A, i1Pro, i1D3
AVS thread: Lightspace & Custom Color Patch Set & Gamma Calibration on Panasonic 65VT60
post #543 of 656 Old 03-20-2014, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Here are the results from using the same pre settings in the VT60 and same meter profile from 0315.
Please note the 2nd profile came out poorly so I had to use the smooth filter in LS.
For the 2nd profile/LUT zoyd changed the white reading order and started with a black patch.

LS QP for Gray only for 0315 LUT

LS QP for Gray only for 0319 LUT

CM Grayscale for 0315 LUT

CM Grayscale for 0319 LUT

Zip for 255 white read for unity, 0315 and 0319 LUT's.
Whitereadsfrom3LUTs.zip 1k .zip file

Looking at these charts and readings, LS is not the problem.

ss
Attached Files
File Type: zip Whitereadsfrom3LUTs.zip (1.1 KB, 5 views)
post #544 of 656 Old 03-20-2014, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Here are the results from using the same pre settings in the VT60 and same meter profile from 0315.
Please note the 2nd profile came out poorly so I had to use the smooth filter in LS.
For the 2nd profile/LUT zoyd changed the white reading order and started with a black patch.

ss

ss,

can u attach or send me the bcs files ?

- M

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
AVS thread: Lightspace & Custom Color Patch Set & Gamma Calibration on Panasonic 65VT60
post #545 of 656 Old 03-20-2014, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post

ss,

can u attach or send me the bcs files ?

- M

Sure.Mike.

Both LUT's and QP gray only.
bscfilesfor03150319.zip 560k .zip file

ss
Attached Files
File Type: zip bscfilesfor03150319.zip (560.5 KB, 7 views)
post #546 of 656 Old 03-20-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:

Mike-

C'MOOON MAN!

Sorry. I already have the honor. cool.gif

njfoses and ConnecTEDDD like this.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #547 of 656 Old 03-20-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Buzz

Who is who in the photo?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #548 of 656 Old 03-20-2014, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It's Buzz and Rush Limbaugh. Wow! I didn't realize Rush was so tall.....
post #549 of 656 Old 03-20-2014, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27

It's Buzz ( I think) and Chris Berman, not Rush Limbaugh.

post #550 of 656 Old 03-20-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation4444 View Post

Correct. Shark Shootout. Chris plays in the Pro-Am every year. Lots of heart, terrible swing. lolololololo
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #551 of 656 Old 03-20-2014, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I will repeat what I said earlier - it is very common for patches other than 'white' to measure with a higher luminance than the 'white' patch - especially in plasmas, as has been pointed out by 'Iron Mike' and others.
And with multiple 'white' patches, gaining different readings for luminance over time is very normal with plasmas.

We have just made sure LS understands that when performing the LUT generation from the profile data.

Steve
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #552 of 656 Old 03-20-2014, 07:55 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation4444 View Post

I know, it was light humor. With what you folks have been discussing for the last 19 pages, I thought you could use a little.
post #553 of 656 Old 03-20-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Sorry. I already have the honor. cool.gif

Ugh...i am so jealous.
post #554 of 656 Old 03-22-2014, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:

The 0319 profile is free of misreads. In addition to moving the white patch out of the 1st position I added some repeat neutral and colored patterns to monitor the display stability and these show signs of panel fatigue (which shows up as systematic noise in the LS gamma and separation plots).

X=blue, Y=black, Z=red

As a point of comparison my D8000 drift over the same period is only 1.5%.

So I drift corrected the data and produced a new argyll LUT that ss just tested, which yields a very good CM color checker run.

If this is typical of the VT60 or panasonics in general, it would be advisable to monitor and correct for this to achieve the best data sets for inversion. ArgyllCMS will do this for you automatically as part of the profile read tool.
post #555 of 656 Old 03-22-2014, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

The 0319 profile is free of misreads.

If this is typical of the VT60 or panasonics in general

rolleyes.gifeek.gifbiggrin.gif

these last posts tell the entire story (all over again)...

post #556 of 656 Old 03-23-2014, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 64
Curious.... zoyd, when did you get a VT60?
post #557 of 656 Old 03-23-2014, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #558 of 656 Old 03-23-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:

The 0319 profile is free of misreads. In addition to moving the white patch out of the 1st position I added some repeat neutral and colored patterns to monitor the display stability and these show signs of panel fatigue (which shows up as systematic noise in the LS gamma and separation plots).

X=blue, Y=black, Z=red

So I drift corrected the data and produced a new argyll LUT that ss just tested, which yields a very good CM color checker run.

If this is typical of the VT60 or panasonics in general, it would be advisable to monitor and correct for this to achieve the best data sets for inversion. ArgyllCMS will do this for you automatically as part of the profile read tool.

This is probably a question for SS....but what size pattern windows were used for this? ABL seems more aggressive with the vt/zt panels than a typical plasma panel. How about a smaller size pattern window to help negate ABL and tame it a little?
post #559 of 656 Old 03-23-2014, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is probably a question for SS....but what size pattern windows were used for this? ABL seems more aggressive with the vt/zt panels than a typical plasma panel. How about a smaller size pattern window to help negate ABL and tame it a little?

The behavior shown is not related to the brightness limiter, it's a reduction in luminous efficiency of the panel over time with extended pattern sets.
post #560 of 656 Old 03-23-2014, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
When I do gamma this effect gives me a headache. I learned to calibrate 100% white, then watch normal tv. Then do one reading of 100%, and then never again while calibrating 10 to 90% gamma. Everytime I used to take another 100% reading on my tv, luminance would have dropped and my gamma wouldnt track properly. Its using a mini on a 65vt50
Plutotype likes this.
post #561 of 656 Old 03-23-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I used a 5% window black background.
Quote:

The behavior shown is not related to the brightness limiter, it's a reduction in luminous efficiency of the panel over time with extended pattern sets.

The first Bly Ray I viewed was Gravity because of its black details to see what effect the luminous would have, I was very impressed. The second was Boardwalk Empire, there again because of it low lighting, For this Blu Ray the verdict is still out, the one area that I have a question about was the tones in a few scenes of the men's suite's probably caused be the
correcting of the shift in luminous of my VT60 when comparing to my other LUT's.

Here is a screen shot of the Grayscale, Gamma and RGB balance.

Thanks zoyd, very interesting stuff.

ss
post #562 of 656 Old 03-24-2014, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

X=blue, Y=black, Z=red

# snip #

Steve,

can LS users expect this to be a feature in the next version??
post #563 of 656 Old 03-24-2014, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 215
LS already deals with such issues as ABL and display fatigue.
Unlike other calibration systems we do not expect or demand that profile patch readings are in a +ve order of reading value based on the source patch value...
You will also find the fatigue associated with such displays is not linear or mono-directional, but changes with the associated patch levels displayed, with dark patches actually causing the 'fatigue' to regress.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #564 of 656 Old 03-29-2014, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The first Bly Ray I viewed was Gravity because of its black details to see what effect the luminous would have, I was very impressed. The second was Boardwalk Empire, there again because of it low lighting, For this Blu Ray the verdict is still out, the one area that I have a question about was the tones in a few scenes of the men's suite's probably caused be the
correcting of the shift in luminous of my VT60 when comparing to my other LUT's.

So after all your profiling and testing of different LUT configurations what did you end up using?
sillysally likes this.
post #565 of 656 Old 04-02-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So after all your profiling and testing of different LUT configurations what did you end up using?

I just saw you post.

I ended up using the 9300 patch set dated 03-23, the corrected patch set you made up. Thanks again.

I made a LUT and used a new Beta tool in LS, Environment Variable adjustment at a value of 2.02.
Seems to work well with your patch set. Your corrected LUT works well also, but I don't have my pre calibration settings for that LUT.

ss
post #566 of 656 Old 04-05-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 98
Look for this new term in CalMAN being announced next week at NAB. "DLC"

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #567 of 656 Old 04-12-2014, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith View Post

Look for this new term in CalMAN being announced next week at NAB. "DLC"

Can you share what it stands for now that NAB has passed? smile.gif
post #568 of 656 Old 04-13-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacediver View Post

Can you share what it stands for now that NAB has passed? smile.gif

It's Dynamic Linearity Correction, and it's part of the 5.3.5 update.

As part of our stepped profiling process we are able to detect where the display is no longer behaving linearly and dynamically add additional points until we can accurately predict the edges of the non-linearity. This is not only increasing the overall accuracy of a calibration, but it is also much more efficient as we can run fewer base calibration points.

No more hunting around for the "right" patch set for your display. With CalMAN, you'll get perfect patch distribution with a set the built for YOUR display.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #569 of 656 Old 04-13-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

As part of our stepped profiling process we are able to detect where the display is no longer behaving linearly and dynamically add additional points until we can accurately predict the edges of the non-linearity. This is not only increasing the overall accuracy of a calibration, but it is also much more efficient as we can run fewer base calibration points.

No more hunting around for the "right" patch set for your display. With CalMAN, you'll get perfect patch distribution with a set the built for YOUR display.

We will post a indepth independent research paper done on our DLC and how well it does in a couple of days. We were slammed at NAB. More badge scans and demos given on the first day than all of last year and last year was a very good year for us.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #570 of 656 Old 04-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

Hi Joel,

Just wondering about the problem I currently experience with my Sharp.
The Panel is simply incapable of hitting full saturation for Red and Blue. Because of this Panel fault hopefully DLC will recognise the difference between linearity and a Panel charactoristic?
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page