A comparison of 3DLUT solutions for the eeColor box - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84Likes

post #781 of 786 Old 01-20-2017, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDgaming42 View Post
It also doesn't cover much in the way of actually using the eeColor in the chain at the time of running the 3DLUT. Which video level is preferable for the eeColor? Is it better to feed it 8bit, 10bit or 12bit if all are available?

As for uploading, that is covered here:

edit: (beaten like a rented mule...)
Hi, eeColor will always output 12bit any bitdepth you send (8/10/12).

eeColor is working in TV-Legal levels so you can send RGB-Limited or YCbCr (which is always video levels).

When you have eeColor in the chain and you want to measure for display profiling, have an active correction with UNITY table loaded (1:1 input-output).

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 01-23-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 786 Old 01-21-2017, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi, eeColor will always output 12bit any bitdepth you send (8/10/12).

eeColor is working in TV-Level levels so you can send RGB-Limited or YCbCb (which is always video levels).

When you have eeColor in the chain and you want to measure for display profiling, have an active correction with UNITY table loaded (1:1 input-output).
Can you clarify with the following terminology:

input ---> process internally ----> output

I know you can feed it 8/10/12 input. I believe it will process internally at 16bit. I'm assuming it will output whatever it was sent, unless an EDID tells it that is incompatible? So 10 bit in, 10 bit out?

Is there an advantage to sending it 10bit patterns during calibration?

Thanks for the Unity LUT reminder--it's what I've been using.
post #783 of 786 Old 01-22-2017, 02:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDgaming42 View Post
Can you clarify with the following terminology:

input ---> process internally ----> output

I know you can feed it 8/10/12 input. I believe it will process internally at 16bit. I'm assuming it will output whatever it was sent, unless an EDID tells it that is incompatible? So 10 bit in, 10 bit out?

Is there an advantage to sending it 10bit patterns during calibration?

Thanks for the Unity LUT reminder--it's what I've been using.
Hi, eeColor features 16bit internal signal processing (other specs are here) and it uses different 6 memories of Correction LUT in 10bit per color (30bit in total) resolution, it will always output the same colorspace as it gets at it's input but will increase the bitdepth all the times to 12 bit per color (36bit in total). If you will have connected a display which can't receive 12bit (very rare) then it will output 10bit.

There is no advantage to send 10-bit patterns, BD is working @ 8bit as we know, which is already enough for any patch generation.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL

post #784 of 786 Old 01-22-2017, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
eeColor is working in TV-Level levels so you can send RGB-Limited or YCbCb (which is always video levels).
Hi Ted,
I'm confused by this. The instructions on your website says

Quote:
The eeColor LUT box does not scale the signal internally and by default works in full range data levels.
To output TV / video levels, the LUT must be videoscaled prior to uploading to the eeColor 3D LUT box.
but you seem to be saying the opposite. Is there anything I need to do switch the mode?
[EDIT] Is the scaling only necessary when creating the LUT using LightSpace? If the input to eeBox and the output from eeColor are both at video level, supposedly no scaling is required?

Quote:
The UNITY table normally requires selecting a different upload option in the TruVue application, without a TXT file. How would I upload "real" tables while keep one UNIT table in the flash memory? Do I have to manually create a TXT file for the UNITY table?

Thanks again for all the help you've provided!

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-22-2017 at 08:14 PM.
post #785 of 786 Old 01-22-2017, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Do I have to manually create a TXT file for the UNITY table?
I suspect many people have followed this Lightspace workflow to end up with a Unity LUT in slot #1. I am curious about your other question as well.
post #786 of 786 Old 01-23-2017, 12:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Ted,
I'm confused by this. The instructions on your website says

but you seem to be saying the opposite. Is there anything I need to do switch the mode?
Hi Dominic, the link you posted it's not from my site, the only site I have is this one: http://www.displaycalibrations.com/eecolor_order.html

I said that eeColor is working for TV Legal/Video levels meaning that it's for application where we are doing a display characterization with 3D LUT generated for TV Legal/Video Levels (16-235), not for PC Levels.

eColor has 65-Point Cube (64-Point usable) in 0-255 (in 10-bit) and 56-Point for 16-235. Since the 255 level is bypassed by design of eeColor and can't be calibrated, we never calibrate for 0-255 or 16-255 with eeColor.

Quote:
[EDIT] Is the scaling only necessary when creating the LUT using LightSpace? If the input to eeBox and the output from eeColor are both at video level, supposedly no scaling is required?

The UNITY table normally requires selecting a different upload option in the TruVue application, without a TXT file. How would I upload "real" tables while keep one UNIT table in the flash memory? Do I have to manually create a TXT file for the UNITY table?

Thanks again for all the help you've provided!
In CalMAN or DisplayCAL, when you select to calibrate for Video Levels it's generating the correction file ready at the end, in CalMAN it's uploading to eeColor also from inside software.

In LightSpace, after the correction colorspace generation, because it's for PC Levels, you have to apply a videoscale filter and then export to eeColor65.TXT file format.

We do this for eeColor because eeColor's internal 10-bit table is 0-255, the videoscale is mapping the correction to 16-235 levels, since we will use it for HT environment / blu-ray content etc.

The UNITY procedure from TruVue application, it's an operation needed to be performed one time only, once someone will receive it's eeColor, to delete all the internal table eeColor is coming from the factory; for different lighting conditions etc. This replace the 1D+3D LUT tables with UNITY.

All the other times you will need to upload 3D LUT table, you do only the first custom uploading procedure I posted. (replacing with the 3D LUT tables only)...we don't use the 1D LUT of eeColor, so it's UNITY.

If you need to get a UNITY 3D LUT table, you can download the LightSpace eeColor LUT's samples and from these; the 3DLUT_1.TXT is UNITY table. If you rename it to 3DLUT_6.TXT and upload it, you will have always a UNITY loaded to the 6th slot of eeColor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page