Display Calibration Tools - New Site For LUT Analysis and Enhancement - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #31 of 39 Old 08-01-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 271
I am happy to report after testing the new conversion tool Mike has added, it is working correctly.

The only slight difference you may see when converting a Ti1 file to a csv file is there may be a few less points, but imo that should not cause any problems with the outcome.

Job well done Mike.

ss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 08-01-2014, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 361
the CPSE removes duplicate black points (0|0|0) automatically.

It keeps all other duplicates unless you set the option REMOVE DUPLICATES to YES.

;-)

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools: Display Calibration Tools
meter: Klein K-10 A, i1Pro, i1D3
AVS thread: Lightspace & Custom Color Patch Set & Gamma Calibration on Panasonic 65VT60
post #33 of 39 Old 08-18-2014, 04:04 AM
Advanced Member

here's a 3D RGB color cube image of a custom patch set specifically designed for the Lumagen Radiance Mini 3D which holds 5^3 LUTs... this set profiles the 125 LUT points and additional color points in close proximity (of each of the 125 points) to provide more, relevant information to the color engine...

Greyscale points have been removed from the cube for better viewing...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radiance_lumagen_mini_3d_patch_set.gif
Views:	151
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	217298  

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
AVS thread: Lightspace & Custom Color Patch Set & Gamma Calibration on Panasonic 65VT60
post #34 of 39 Old 08-24-2014, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Smile

Just want to explain a little more about the special patch set, Mike has posted above (we did some teamwork ... ).

If you use e. g. LightSpace as your display profiling SW, for accurate target LUTs it's always best having as much as possible profiling data to feed the LUT calculation engine.

So you can profile your screen/display using e. g. 17^3 (4913 + GS) or 21^3 (9261 + GS) patches, and depending on your meter, this could end in hours and hours of profiling runtime.

But on the other hand - when you have a LUT box like the Radiance XE/XS/Mini-3D which supports only 5^3 (125) LUT correction points (+ 21pts for GS), then lots of these x-thousands of profiling points are indeed good for LS calculation, but a huge amount of measurements are placed just between the 5^3 "native grid" of the LUT box.

How can we optimize that?

The idea was to make a patch set, that covers this 125pt "native grid", plus some measurements close around each point to get some tendencial data for the final LUT calculation.

In the past it wasn't easy to make own customized patch sets for LS. But now we have DisplayCalibrationTools - again thanks to Mike for that great toolbox, it enables us (among other things) making own patch sets very easy.

Now referring to Mikes pic above - here's a guide to get the optimized patch set for 5^3 LUT holders, and I've made some more improvements in addition to get a little closer to the original LS internal patch sequence. There's no prediction if step 2 will make some difference; just use it if you want.

First log in to your user account on http://displaycalibrationtools.com

Step 1 - The optimized patch sequence only, with 101 greyscale points

Go to the Custom Color Patch Sequence Generator

Manual Grid Sequence: 0,5,58,63,68,122,127,132,186,191,196,250,255
Custom Greyscale -> Yes: 101pt
Everything else = default (file output format = Lightspace)

Generated total points: 2564

Enlarged view

You can import the saved custom patch set in LightSpace under Display Characterization -> CSV File and run the profiling.

Step 2, version A - The optimized patch set + some reading points between

First make the main patch set as explained in step 1, then make a 2nd set:

Manual Grid Sequence: 0,31,95,159,223,255
Custom Greyscale -> Yes: 2pt

Generated total points: 212

Enlarged view

Using M$ Excel or LibreOffice Calc merge set 1 and this one, and make row A continuous counting from 0 till the last data line, e. g.:

Save the new file again as .csv file format.

Note:
At this point we have some lines with duplicated R|G|B patch data, but that dosn't matter. If you want, check the merged .csv using the Color Patch Sequence Viewer - you will get noted about some duplicate existing data; if you want, remove the duplicates in the .csv by hand (but please take care about the continuous counting of row A before you save the corrected file).

Edit:
It's much easier to use the Custom Patch Set Editor -> REMOVE DUPLICATES (see Mikes postings ... )

Total points of a corrected patch set w/o duplicated points: 2765

Enlarged view

Step 2, version B - The optimized patch set + some more reading points between

First make the main patch set as explained in step 1, then once more an additional set:

Generated Grid Sequence -> Grid Size: 9
Custom Greyscale -> Yes: 2pt

Generated total points: 722

Enlarged view

Again using M$ Excel or LibreOffice Calc merge set 1 and this one, make row A continuous counting from 0 till the last data line, and remove duplicates the same way as mentioned in step 2.

Total points of a corrected patch set w/o duplicated points: 3254

Enlarged view

That's it; happy profiling.

_________
Regards,
Harry

Last edited by *Harry*; 09-18-2014 at 12:53 PM.
post #35 of 39 Old 08-24-2014, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

btw, you can also remove duplicates (in a patch set) by using the Custom Patch Set Editor and use the REMOVE DUPLICATES option ... it will also automatically take care of the continuous row numbers (patch #)....
*Harry* likes this.

post #36 of 39 Old 08-24-2014, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 271
post #37 of 39 Old Yesterday, 02:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 514
New updates have been posted to DisplayCalibrationTools.com that include the release of the Screen Uniformity Evaluator (SUE) tool and a screen uniformity test comparison of the FSI CM250, FSI CM171 and the Qnix QX2710.

(1) Screen Uniformity Evaluator (SUE) Released
The Screen Uniformity Evaluator tool allows you to test and validate the uniformity of your display. This is a must have evaluation tool if you are using your displays for color critical application.

(2) LCD & OLED Screen Uniformity Test Comparison Report
a new tutorial has been added to the Display Calibration Guides & Workflows:

Screen Uniformity Test Comparison of FSI CM250, FSI CM171 and Qnix QX2710
Iron Mike and *Harry* like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #38 of 39 Old Today, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I'm interested in this product but would like to know how useful is it with Calman or is it mainly for Lightspace and some others.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #39 of 39 Old Today, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I'm interested in this product but would like to know how useful is it with Calman or is it mainly for Lightspace and some others.
Hi Jim,

all Color Patch Set tools do export to the CM format... so if you are looking to create custom patch sets for either display profiling (for 3D LUT creation) or display validation, then yes all of that can be used with CM and the custom color patch sets can be exported in .ccfx format (which is then loaded into CM, instructions can be found here)...

I don't know if you currently can import large patch sets into CM for 3D LUT creation, you would have to check with the current version of CM, but it definitely works for display validation, as I've been using this with the CM reporting engine...

The Screen Uniformity Evaluator (SUE) can be used with any calibration tool that can report XYZ (or Yxy) probe data - for use with CM you would use the "load .csv file" option and provide a .csv file with all of your probe data...

eeColor 3D LUT Analyzer tool can be used with all 3D LUTs created for the eeColor LUT box, no matter if LS, CM or Argyll...

Lightspace Profile Reporter and Lightspace Custom Color Space Creator are tools that are being used directly with LS only.

- M

Reply Display Calibration