Sharp Elite Grey Scale Calibration Issue - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 Old 05-08-2014, 04:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
PE06MCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: West Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

I have no idea, they are not coming to EU I think.

Hi Ted,

That is their current position I believe.
Hopefully they will reconsider sometime in the future although I am not hopeful.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
PE06MCG is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 36 Old 05-08-2014, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chad B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 2,086
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by PE06MCG View Post

I have an Aquos which does not have a CMS but my problems are with Grayscale at least on my UK model.
RGB balance can be adjusted via SM on a 6 point scale.
There is no problem adjusting these points for RGB to get a flat gamma of about 2.2, in fact is is very easy (even for me), the unfortunate thing is its lowest mode for CT is > 9000K.

Adjusting only point #6 (for 100% white) to reduce CT to D65 needs a massive blue reduction which upsets gamma and RGB balance appreciably at 70 to 95% white.
Reducing blue at other 5 points is easy to do but causes massive disruption of RGB balance and gamma along its scale.
Possibly this is because of overuse of the TV RGB controls as mentioned by Ted previously.. (a 50% reduction of the blue control is typical). This needs tweaking on an industrial scale.

So my experience is to buy an Aquos Sharp if you want to work at a Colour Temperature of about 9000K. However leave them alone if you prefer your calibration to match all your sources and operate at 6500K.

Perhaps I have a rogue LED LCD but Sharp Support claim that mine is within their normal factory tolerances but are reluctant to tell me what they are.
Theres a couple ways you can do it.
1) do it in the SM using massive blue cuts, then when you exit the SM choose the high color temp in the user menu
2) just take down blue a noticeable amount at each 6 step interval in the SM, ignoring measurements. Exit SM, see if you got close enough to use the user controls to get it the rest of the way

Either way youll have to enter and exit the SM a lot to check your results. It can be done.
PE06MCG likes this.

ISF/THX calibrator, HDTVbyChadB
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:
Sony 65X950BLG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300
Chad B is offline  
post #33 of 36 Old 05-08-2014, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chad B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 2,086
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Another thing you could try if you use Calman try targeting 9300k while you're in the SM. Then change Calman back to D65 in the user menu. See which color temp presets are close in the user menu and work from there.

ISF/THX calibrator, HDTVbyChadB
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:
Sony 65X950BLG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300
Chad B is offline  
post #34 of 36 Old 05-08-2014, 05:35 AM
Senior Member
 
AVmanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE06MCG View Post

I have an Aquos which does not have a CMS but my problems are with Grayscale at least on my UK model.
RGB balance can be adjusted via SM on a 6 point scale.
There is no problem adjusting these points for RGB to get a flat gamma of about 2.2, in fact is is very easy (even for me), the unfortunate thing is its lowest mode for CT is > 9000K.

Adjusting only point #6 (for 100% white) to reduce CT to D65 needs a massive blue reduction which upsets gamma and RGB balance appreciably at 70 to 95% white.
Reducing blue at other 5 points is easy to do but causes massive disruption of RGB balance and gamma along its scale.
Possibly this is because of overuse of the TV RGB controls as mentioned by Ted previously.. (a 50% reduction of the blue control is typical). This needs tweaking on an industrial scale.

So my experience is to buy an Aquos Sharp if you want to work at a Colour Temperature of about 9000K. However leave them alone if you prefer your calibration to match all your sources and operate at 6500K.

Perhaps I have a rogue LED LCD but Sharp Support claim that mine is within their normal factory tolerances but are reluctant to tell me what they are.
Theres a couple ways you can do it.
1) do it in the SM using massive blue cuts, then when you exit the SM choose the high color temp in the user menu
2) just take down blue a noticeable amount at each 6 step interval in the SM, ignoring measurements. Exit SM, see if you got close enough to use the user controls to get it the rest of the way

Either way youll have to enter and exit the SM a lot to check your results. It can be done.

I used method #2 with a little extra tweaking on my 70SQ to be able to get my 10p to come in. I most say it was driving me crazy. I had about 10 hours into trying to get my 10p in before I made the changes in the SM's 6p.

My gamma still falls off a bit after 60%. Any input or help on this would be great.
I am setting good at 6500k and my CS is setting at a deltaE of 2.1 with a Adv. Of 1.

Thanks
AVmanic is offline  
post #35 of 36 Old 05-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
PE06MCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: West Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Another thing you could try if you use Calman try targeting 9300k while you're in the SM. Then change Calman back to D65 in the user menu. See which color temp presets are close in the user menu and work from there.

I thought of that and in fact got accuracy for all 6 points with a flat gamma which is great for the higher temp.
Unfortunately my lowest CT mode was still > 9000 K and adjustment caused the chaos I posted earlier.

I have tried adjusting gamma on RGB balanced points by moving the 3 primaries together but this was again not particularly successful. As you say a lot of in and out with the SM and always causing me to reset to factory presets.
I will try your method of partial blue reduction and similar reductions on the other points and see if I can get a happy medium. My main problem is that with RGB balance correct at D65 with 100% white means that all other points above 70% white are incorrect for balance and gamma no matter how I adjust my closest point (#5).
In other words I can correct points from 70 to 95% only by having RGB balance at 100% being incorrect.
So which is more important correct 100% balance with bad gamma and balance on its adjacent points or good RGB balance and gamma below an incorrect 100% RGB balance?

In truth I am trying to use the TV controls to their best effect before I use my eeCB.
Without eeCB in circuit I use a DUO on 75 or 80% saturation patterns which works extremely well but I am reluctant to use both boxes in series.
PE06MCG is offline  
post #36 of 36 Old 06-02-2014, 11:27 AM
Member
 
jyqureshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Yes, it is very difficult. It is possible, though, to get it done entirely in the SM, but it requires a lot of getting into and out of the SM. Also on one occasion I changed the SM settings just enough that it gave the user controls the range they needed.
After adjusting in the SM, get out and measure the TV, but use high/cool color temp rather than warm.
I wrote down what values the 6 points corresponded to one time, but it's in my old notebook at home and I'm on the road now.

Chad, did you ever get a chance to find your old notebook?
jyqureshi is offline  
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off