• 1 Post By sillysally

post #1 of 29 Old 03-06-2014, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Hi guys,

this is a calibration workflow example using the latest options in Lightspace and other workflow tools available nowadays.

TV set is a Panasonic 65VT60 NA.
Latest Lightspace.
Meter is a K10-A with spectro offset.
Lumagen pattern generator

VT60 PRE-PROFILE DISPLAY SETUP

Turned all internal processing off. Used Ted's disc to check which CMS controls introduce problems. Dial in Brightness via LI's brightness calibration image - those patches are 1 lsb each. We also used Ted's disc to confirm the Lumagen (used as a pattern generator) was outputting correct levels.

You would now setup Contrast the usual way, but for the VT60 I will go into into detail here as these sets have Gamma issues - I have confirmed this with multiple other VT60 owners - if you don't own a VT60 you may consider skipping this section:

The VT60 has very inconsistent Gamma, especially in the 85-100% brightness region, which can result in very wild gamma spikes (seen on a Gamma log-log graph) that can go either direction, towards a higher or lower Gamma value. I've seen as low as 0.97 and as high as 3.6 - sometimes (depending on Gamma and contrast setting) the display shows a double spike, it goes down to 1.0 and then up to 3.0 all within the last 6% brt, ergo 94-100%.

It does not matter which settings are used: Pro mode or custom, ISF Night or Day, I’ve set Contrast to everything between 50 and 100, I’ve tried all color temperatures and all Gamma pre-sets and a combination of them.

Standard 10pt or even 21pt Greyscale runs don't really show the issue as the 5% brightness spacing is too large. You might see problems at 90 and/or 95% but then again the internal VT60 gamma controls are 10pt only anyways, so way too coarse to fix or address these issues. You need a GS evaluation with 101 pts, ergo very tight spacing of 1% to really see what is going on.

Here are 3 gamma graphs of 3 different VT60's (all NA) - all profiles are 101 pt GS runs, so u see what is really going on:

We're using the Lightspace Profile Reporter tool here to directly evaluate LS profiles - in the case of the 3 gamma graphs: 101 pt Greyscale only profiles. This workflow allows me to stay in LS and use all of the professional tools that LS offers that other solutions do not offer (active LUT etc, see later in the workflow) w/o having to switch to another solution to get a profile evluation (and then deal with other issues). This speeds things up quite a bit.

Contrast setup:

I ran a 101pt greyscale only in Lightspace (using a custom color patch set that only contains 101pt Greyscale points), then checked for drastic Gamma spikes, then adjusted Gamma / Contrast setting and or used Gamma CMS control. Did this a few times, trying to bring the drastic spikes somewhat under control. I will address / improve Gamma later on in the workflow, but the better the pre-profile setup the easier the adjustments will be later on.

CREATE COLOR PATCH SEQUENCE FOR PROFILING

All patch sets (profiling & validation) were created using the Custom Color Patch Sequence Generator.

The profiling patch set that was used in this calibration is a larger color patch sequence. Before Lightspace allowed the import of custom color patch sequences we've been using 21^3 patch sequences with 9,261 points. With a fast meter the time frame is easily doable.

This patch set was targeted to have equal or less points than a 21^3 but with improved performance, as in that it "scans" / profiles the gamut more evenly and more throrough, providing more relevant and conclusive information to the color engine. This set has 9,137 points (so slightly less than a 21^3) but with better profile point coverage and distribution than a standard grid sequence including a 101 point Greyscale (and all corresponding R, G, B reads).

This is a very straightforward patch set that I used for this calibration, easy to understand, you can easily decrease the point count (profile size) if you like. For other calibrations, I used a an more refined variation of it. Regarding patch set size: if you cut the point count too much your results be inferior. The more accurate and conclusive data you provide to the color engine, the better the results will be.

The patch set was created with HSB parameters, easily understandable and very easy to control. Here are the patch set parameters:

Explanation:

As you can see - in this specific patch set - I am sampling every 2nd integer hue value, so out of 360 hues, we are sampling 180 hues. That is a tight spacing of just 2 hue degrees and will make sure we don't leave out too many hues.

For Brightness levels, we are sampling a total of 30 (!) brightness level, a 21^3 (with more profile points) samples just 21 brt levels. As you can see the brightness levels are grouped in packs of 10 brt levels and changed for each hue, this way we keep the the total point count lower BUT we are sampling 30 brt levels in just 4 hue dgrees !

So over a very narrow span of just 4 hue degrees (!) our color engine will get LOTS of data of that parts of the gamut, example:

0 deg is sampled with these brt levels: 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100
2 deg is sampled with these brt levels: 6, 15, 25, 33, 45, 54, 66, 75, 84, 95
4 deg is sampled with these brt levels: 23, 28, 36, 42, 48, 57, 63, 72, 78, 87

--> brt cycle starts again at 6 deg using these parameters

You can see how powerful this is, I can easily refine this patch set and even expand the brt level range without increasing the total profile point count ! So I could add another 10 unique brt levels for a total of 40 brt levels over a span of just 6 hue dregrees. Just keep in mind to find a balance between the hue span and the brt levels. Don't let the span get too wide with brt levels points that are "too far apart".

Also, note how the 3 brt level groups are stacked / spread to each other, they sit within the other groups spacing.

Saturation levels are relative to brightness, so each of these saturation levels are sampled for each or specific brightness levels. Again, because we want to get the most data from the gamut out of our patch set, we stack sat levels in groups. We are using 20 well spread sat levels in 4 groups. Similar to what we do with the brt levels we change the sat levels for the brightness levels with every other hue from our hue set.

brt levels @ 0 deg are sampled with these sat levels: 20, 40, 60, 80, 100
brt levels @ 2 deg are sampled with these sat levels: 10, 30, 50, 70, 90
brt levels @ 4 deg are sampled with these sat levels: 5, 25, 45, 65, 85
brt levels @ 6 deg are sampled with these sat levels: 15, 35, 55, 75, 95

Again, note how the 4 sat level groups are stacked / spread to each other, they sit within the other groups spacing.

So, summing up, over a narrow span of just 6 hue degrees we are sampling: 3 unique hues, 30 unique unique brt levels (with a total of 40 brt levels sampled) and 20 unique saturation levels - all nicely spaced to cover the region evenly.

Here's a visual evaluation of the patch set:

Take a note how evenly we distributed points, especially pushing enough data into the 25-75% brt and 25-75% sat range. We also arranged the patches to cycle between dark/bright to (try to) counteract ABL - note the Average patch brightness difference.

DECREASING PATCH SET SIZE & FURTHER REFINEMENTS

To further refine this set, one could start to adjust the hue spacing depending on region, e.g. sample with wider spacing in dense gamut regions (--> green, blue) and with more narrow hue spacing in less dense regions (--> red). Just don't let the spacing get too wide. The further add more brt & sat levels and distribute them smartly. Example of different hue sampling depending on hue region:

To decrease the patch set size, there are lots of options:

For starters, one could decrease the brt levels and sat levels below 25% brt and above 80% brt, because the shadows and highlights contain less information. If your screen is inaccurate in the shadows (i.e. LCD backlight contamination) u don't need to waste your time there anyways. Same if your meter can't read low brt levels.

Or simply increase the hue spacing, e.g. sample every 3rd or 4th hue.

Or one could simply take out brt levels and sat levels in all brt levels. This will drastically reduce patch set size. Instead of 30 brt levels have 20 or 15, instead of 20 sat levels have 10 - OR - keep 30 brt and 20 sat levels but distribute them over a wider hue range... Lots of possibilities.

Alright, enough talk run the profile on the VT60. ;-)

Took ca. 3 hours with the K10 because we included a 0.75s extra delay to prevent temporary IR from the last color patch.

Then created LUT in LS targeting the standard Rec 709 Gamma 2.2.

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools: Display Calibration Tools
meter: Klein K-10 A, i1Pro, i1D3
AVS thread: Lightspace & Custom Color Patch Set & Gamma Calibration on Panasonic 65VT60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 03-06-2014, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

LUT VALIDATION

(1) Gamma Evaluation and Gamma Adjustment

Now - first of all - run a patch set that only contains 101 pt Greyscale (nothing else) to spot possible Gamma problems of the LUT. Run the patch set with the LUT ACTIVE IN LS. There's no need to upload the LUT to the LUT box at this point (and waste time) as we might tweak the LUT.

We do the Gamma eval FIRST, so we can compensate / address / fix possible Gamma issues in the LUT. Lightspace has these tools and we will use them. We will fully evaluate the gamut and the color performance later, no worries.

Here's the Gamma that the Rec 709 G 2.2 LUT created for the VT60:

Gamma of 2.25 and the Gamma log-log graph shows Gamma problems, I want to improve that.

Background: LS introduced parametric Gamma control in Jan 2014. This allows you to make Gamma adjustemnts using up to 101 points. Without points at 0 and 100 stimuli, that leaves 99 effective adjustment points. I guess now you realize why we ran a 101pt validation GS run. ;-)

In order to make adjustments, you need to create a custom color space, which is a file containing gamut and gamma information that is then imported into LS and used as a SOURCE in the Color Conversion utility to create a LUT.

How do we use this in this calibration ?

Simple, we create a custom color space with the same gamut as Rec 709 - since we want Rec 709 gamut. Now, we start adding gamma adjustment points inside the color space file. Once you use this custom color space file to create a LUT, the Gamma of the LUT will be affected by your adjustments.

I'm using the Lightspace Custom Color Space Creator tool that does all of this for me. You can do this manually, use one of the LS preset color space files, open them and check out the file structure. Make sure you do not make any syntax errors otherwise this will have (unknown) consequences. I do not recommend to do this manually, it is quite complex, but possible.

Since we ran 101 pt GS validation we have data of 99 effective Gamma points (between 0 and 100 stimuli) and we can use the data to create the maximum amount of Gamma ajustments in a custom color space.

In my workflow, I simply check out the profile report of the 101 pt GS run in the Lightspace Profile Reporter - then simply click the button at the bottom (which creates Gamma adjustments) - then use the Lightspace Custom Color Space Creator to create the custom color space for me with the Gamma adjustment data.

Here is an image where u can see all 99 Gamma adjustment points and the Gamma adjustments it creates:

Save the file and use in LS as source to create a new LUT, see here - in the SOURCE select menu choose your custom color space, in the DESTINATION select menu choose your profile:

Same thing now as before, to speed up things, with the new LUT ACTIVE IN LS, run a 101 pt GS. Evaluate, if not happy, adjust a bit more, run another 101 pt GS profile and evaluate again.

I did just 2 runs of this, took me 8 mins with this workflow. Here's the Gamma that the LUT (using my second custom color space) produced:

Much better. I could go on with tweaking, but I'll leave this for now as is. To control the crazy spikes of the VT60 at the very end is harder.

Again, this is a 101 pt Greyscale and it shows everything. A 21pt or even worse a 10pt would be much "smoother" but would not really show what is going on. Remember, the more Gamma adjustment points you add to your custom color space the more control you will have over the Gamma.

Now, on to color evaluation.

(2) Validation Patch Set

I used a simple yet effective validation patch set that can easily be further refined. I wanted a patch set around 1,000 points, this has 1087 points. Patch set should contain points you profiled and points you did not profile so u can validate direct offset compensation points and interpolation points of the LUT.

This patch set has 15 degree hue spacing, 10 brt levels and 8 sat levels (in groups of 4). Below 20% brt, the set samples only 3 sat levels. The hue interval has the effect that we sample hues that were not profiled, i.e. 15, 45, 75 deg etc., so we'll see how good the interpolation is in some parts. This hue interval also mean we are sampling all primaries and secondaries RGBCMY: 0, 60, 120, 180, 240, 300 and all points in between them and all points in between the in-between points. Since we originally profiled every second hue (basically every even hue number) that means that every other hue that is validated here is a hue that was originally profiled, so we can verify how good the LUT is at direct offset compensation. Again, cycle between dark / bright patches to (try to) counteract ABL on the VT60.

Here's parts of the evaluation report from the Lightspace Profile Reporter, I collapsed all individual profile points color detail data and omitted a few things from the report as otherwise this would have become too large of an image:

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
AVS thread: Lightspace & Custom Color Patch Set & Gamma Calibration on Panasonic 65VT60
post #3 of 29 Old 03-06-2014, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here's a standard 141 pt LS QP validated in the Lightspace Profile Reporter:

Skin Tone Eval

Ran an additonal quick skin tone eval.

the color is fantastic... Kubrick's living Caravaggio paintings in Barry Lyndon never looked better.... biggrin.gif

post #4 of 29 Old 03-06-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Wow, Iron Mike. Incredible tools and I'm looking forward to working with them.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #5 of 29 Old 03-06-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Wow that looks great for are VT60's, very well thought out for the problems of a plasma.

I am sure with your new tools and LS plus using a VT60 you probley have one of the best PQ out there.

Email your patch set and I will run tonight.

Thanks for all your hard work.

ss
post #6 of 29 Old 03-06-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 453
OMG! There a lot of work behind all these wonderful and very useful tools for LightSpace Reporting, now we will have very detailed dE Reports for our LightSpace's Profilings.

Thank's Iron Mike for these Display Calibration Tools!

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #7 of 29 Old 03-06-2014, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 215
This is some great work - and is very impressive!

Nice cool.gif

The HSB patch generation is especially nice!

Steve
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #8 of 29 Old 03-06-2014, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Wow that looks great for are VT60's, very well thought out for the problems of a plasma.

I am sure with your new tools and LS plus using a VT60 you probley have one of the best PQ out there.

Email your patch set and I will run tonight.

Thanks for all your hard work.
ss

SillySally,

you can create them yourself. Takes 30 secs....

If you want a similar set, simply punch in the parameters I posted as a starting point, adjust as you like (or not) and then save...

The VT60's color with the LS LUT is outstanding....

- M
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

post #9 of 29 Old 03-06-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post

Hi guys,

Took ca. 3 hours with the K10 because we included a 0.75s extra patch to prevent temprorary IR from the last color patch.

Mike how do I install/include "included a 0.75s extra patch to prevent temprorary IR" in the above patch set. ????

What delay did you set your K10-A to, using the extra patch. ???

ss
post #10 of 29 Old 03-06-2014, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mike how do I install/include "included a 0.75s extra patch to prevent temprorary IR" in the above patch set. ????

What delay did you set your K10-A to, using the extra patch. ???

ss

SS,

the 0.75s delay was in LS, not in the patch set !!!!!

Same thing as always, I think you use 1s extra delay ?!

- M

post #11 of 29 Old 03-06-2014, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

SS,

the 0.75s delay was in LS, not in the patch set !!!!!

Same thing as always, I think you use 1s extra delay ?!

- M

Yes I use 1s delay.

Running the patch set now. smile.gif

ss
post #12 of 29 Old 03-09-2014, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Thanks Mike! Used your workfow to help improve gamma a bit more, worked great!
post #13 of 29 Old 03-09-2014, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

Thanks Mike! Used your workfow to help improve gamma a bit more, worked great!

which set did u calibrate ?

post #14 of 29 Old 03-09-2014, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

which set did u calibrate ?

bcc17tub65 which is one of the test sets from LS.
post #15 of 29 Old 03-09-2014, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

bcc17tub65 which is one of the test sets from LS.

sorry, I meant which TV set ?

post #16 of 29 Old 03-09-2014, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

sorry, I meant which TV set ?

Mitsubishi dlp rear proj wd73835.
post #17 of 29 Old 03-09-2014, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mitsubishi dlp rear proj wd73835.

niiiice, besides others I still have a Sony RPTV still here... smile.gif

I'm gonna do a more thorough writeup on the Gamma workflow with the Custom Color Space Creator, I got a few questions from other users and the workflow might have been confusing at first read with all the information...

Important is that if one does multiple Custom Color Spaces to further and further improve the Gamma of the LUT (I created 2 custom color spaces in my example, the second was a further refined version of the first one and improved results) that one must always keep working off the original Gamma offset values from the original DISPLAY PROFILE...

I know this can be confusing, but one cannot use the Gamma offset values of a profile from a custom color space... that would completely distort results....

I'll do a write-up that explains this... if one just does ONE custom color space from the original display profile then all of this can be disregarded...

- M

post #18 of 29 Old 03-09-2014, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

niiiice, besides others I still have a Sony RPTV still here... smile.gif

I'm gonna do a more thorough writeup on the Gamma workflow with the Custom Color Space Creator, I got a few questions from other users and the workflow might have been confusing at first read with all the information...

Important is that if one does multiple Custom Color Spaces to further and further improve the Gamma of the LUT (I created 2 custom color spaces in my example, the second was a further refined version of the first one and improved results) that one must always keep working off the original Gamma offset values from the original DISPLAY PROFILE...

I know this can be confusing, but one cannot use the Gamma offset values of a profile from a custom color space... that would completely distort results....

I'll do a write-up that explains this... if one just does ONE custom color space from the original display profile then all of this can be disregarded...

- M

I have been wanting to upgrade for a while, especially since the cms tracking and linearity of my dlp is absolutelty horrible! Just waiting for 80" - 90" lcd to come down in price just a bit more. After owning this 73" dlp for years, i could never downgrade in size.

I only did one additional run, but your explanation makes sense. Just a heads up, anytime i have tried to edit a meter profile on your site i receive the following error after trying to load an existing profile, "There was an error processing your file. Please reload the page and try again."
post #19 of 29 Old 03-09-2014, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have been wanting to upgrade for a while, especially since the cms tracking and linearity of my dlp is absolutelty horrible! Just waiting for 80" - 90" lcd to come down in price just a bit more. After owning this 73" dlp for years, i could never downgrade in size.

I only did one additional run, but your explanation makes sense. Just a heads up, anytime i have tried to edit a meter profile on your site i receive the following error after trying to load an existing profile, "There was an error processing your file. Please reload the page and try again."

Thanks, I'll forward it !

post #20 of 29 Old 03-09-2014, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

i have tried to edit a meter profile

I've just edited one meter profile over here with custom offsets and this works now.
njfoses likes this.

post #21 of 29 Old 03-09-2014, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here's a more detailed explanation of the Gamma improvement workflow that I described in post #2:

After the profile (--> Display Characterization) is done and (as an example) a standard Rec 709 G2.2 LUT has been created, I make that LUT active in LS (no need to upload the LUT to the LUT box yet) and then run a 101 points GS evaluation. You could run less Greyscale patches, but the more Greyscale patches you run, the more offset points you can create from the data, so the more accurate the Gamma adjustments will be.

This Greyscale patch set is created via the Custom Color Patch Sequence Generator | Custom Patch Set section and contains a total of 104 patches:

101 Greyscale patches (0 - 100% brightness)
3 other patches: a single R, G, B read - this is required so that LS can read the profile (if you are evaluating the profile in LS). The Lightspace Profile Reporter does not require these additional reads.

After I run the 104 pt patch set I evaluate the profile in the Lightspace Profile Reporter (by choosing Rec 709 with a Gamma 2.2 as the target - same target as the LUT was created for !) and scroll all the way down to the Gamma section. Focus on the log-log graph which is the second Gamma graph. You will see Gamma deviations for some of the 101 Greyscale points and you can check out the actual Gamma value for each of the 99 points between 0-100% (1-99% brt) in the Gamma Overview table. Here's the image again from post #2:

I want to improve the Gamma performance of the LUT and I will do this by creating a custom color space with a tailored Gamma. If you're using the Lightspace Profile Reporter, this is all very easy. Simply click the link (marked with a red arrow on the image) below the Gamma Overview. This calculates the Gamma compensation data and prepares it for the Lightspace Custom Color Space Creator.

Now switch to the Lightspace Custom Color Space Creator tool. Create a custom color space with the same gamut and Gamma as what your LUT target was when you created the LUT in LS, in our example this is Rec 709 Gamma 2.2. If you use a different target or gamma here all Gamma adjustments will be off, so make sure you always use the same parameters. As an example, you cannot evaluate in the Lightspace Profile Reporter for BT.1886 and then use that Gamma offset data for Rec 709 Gamma 2.2 custom color space - that would not produce any usable results.

Once you created the custom color space in the tool (which is up to now a standard Rec 709 G2.2 color space) you will see a large button appear titled "Paste Gamma Compensation Data From Profile" (--> this is the data you created in the Lightspace Profile Reporter).

For this workflow I recommend to uncheck the SMOOTH KINKS option.

Click it and all 99 Gamma adjustments points will be created for you. Click the UPDATE GRAPH button to see a visual overview of the Gamma adjustments in the 2 Gamma graphs:

Save the custom color space to a file, but DO NOT CLOSE THIS PAGE !!! If you want to further refine values later on, you will work off these original 99 values in the 99 Gamma adjustments fields that were created here.

Now, as outlined in post #2: Use the custom color space file in LS to create a new Rec 709 G2.2 LUT.

Make this LUT active in LS and run the 104 pt Greyscale again.

Now check out the Gamma performance of this last 104 pt profile in the Lightspace Profile Reporter. If you like the Gamma, save the LUT and use in your LUT box.

If you want to further adjust the Gamma, look at which points you want to adjust and then go back to the Custom Color Space Creator tool (the page that you did not close) and start adjusting the numeric values in the fields for the values that you want to adjust.

So, if you need to reduce the Gamma @ 85% brt, look in the Lightspace Profile Reporter in the Gamma Overview (below the second Gamma graph) what the measured Gamma value was for 85% brt, e.g. 2.26. Now go to the Custom Color Space Creator tool (the page that you left open with the original adjustment points) and lower the value in the field with stimulus 85%.

By logic - in this example - you would reduce the value by 0.06 as our target is 2.2 since the Gamma value is 0.06 too high at 85%, but since there are a few other factors that come into play (mostly the LS color engine) it has proven that you should go conservative on these adjustments, e.g. reduce Gamma at that point by 0.04 or 0.03.

Adjust all points that you feel still deviate too much from the target, save the new custom color space. Use it in LS to create another LUT. Make that LUT active and run 104 pt GS patches again. Then evaluate Gamma... and so forth.

Most important part is to always work off the original adjustment numbers if you create more than one custom color space. You need to do this because no matter how many custom color spaces you create, the resulting Rec 709 G2.2 LUT will always be created from the original display profile and that's why you need to keep working off the original Gamma offset values.

I hope this makes sense, I know this can be confusing at first but once you done it, it's all very straight forward.

- M

post #22 of 29 Old 03-10-2014, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
This is all very impressive.

I have on question regarding your gamma workflow.
Does it not only optimize the gamma in the grayscale? All gamma outside the grayscale will remain the same?
post #23 of 29 Old 03-10-2014, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACappo View Post

This is all very impressive.

I have on question regarding your gamma workflow.
Does it not only optimize the gamma in the grayscale? All gamma outside the grayscale will remain the same?

Hi,

since you create the LUT from a (custom) color space it will affect each and every point.

- M

post #24 of 29 Old 03-11-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Much better. I could go on with tweaking, but I'll leave this for now as is. To control the crazy spikes of the VT60 at the very end is harder.

The crazy spikes are simply a result of the math involved. At the high end of the scale, tiny differences between reference and measured will result in large differences in gamma. It doesn't mean the set is performing poorly. Look at how close the lines are in the top chart. The differences will be completely invisible.
post #25 of 29 Old 03-11-2014, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

The crazy spikes are simply a result of the math involved. At the high end of the scale, tiny differences between reference and measured will result in large differences in gamma. It doesn't mean the set is performing poorly. Look at how close the lines are in the top chart. The differences will be completely invisible.

absolutely, and that's why I didn't continue to work on the Gamma (in the OP), as that high in stimuli it's not visible...

but the top graph is not as useful (to spot larger spikes or deviations) as u could have a larger spike at 70% and it would not look as drastic on the top graph due to the graph type...

in the highlights, u won't see the differences as much, but u'll see the differences in the gamma deviation throughout the entire range, especially mid tones...

post #26 of 29 Old 05-19-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mike,

I used a 9137 color point patch set, using LightSpace's Alpha release and your tools last night.
The LUT came out very well, particularly the Lum and Sat sweep test's using CM.

I set my video card in my PC to 4:4:4 and my VT60 set direct 1080P to On.

ss

btw Mike. I don't think this has anything to do with LS or with your tools.
I was using my PC as a patch generator, when I was running the 101 gray patch set and a active LUT. I would turn on and off my K10 laser manually to center, I would hear beeps coming from my VT60 like when you plug and unplug your meters. Anyway I ran the Gray patch set twice and both times the K10 did not take any readings. So I unplug the K10, hit change meters LS pick up on the K10 and the USB port. Ran the Gray 101 test patterns again and all was well.

I think Steve is going to add a key board prompt for the laser in the K10, so that should solve that issue.
Quote:

good stuff !!!!

any CM reports ? Gamma mods ? Custom patch set ?
Iron Mike likes this.
post #27 of 29 Old 05-19-2014, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mike,

I used a 9137 color point patch set, using LightSpace's Alpha release and your tools last night.
The LUT came out very well, particularly the Lum and Sat sweep test's using CM.

I set my video card in my PC to 4:4:4 and my VT60 set direct 1080P to On.

ss

good stuff !!!!

sillysally likes this.

post #28 of 29 Old 05-19-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

good stuff !!!!

Yes I have all the reports from CM's QC. However I didn't post because I only used the CC SG, not a 1000 point check. eek.gif
I set the Gamma to 2.22 in your tools and that is what CM is reporting. smile.gif

I can post if you want. I sent the QP file to Steve last night.

btw I updated my post about using the K10, PC connected via HDMI cable as patch generator. Thinking you may be using your PC as a patch generator also.
Iron Mike likes this.
post #29 of 29 Old 05-19-2014, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes I have all the reports from CM's QC. However I didn't post because I only used the CC SG, not a 1000 point check. eek.gif
I set the Gamma to 2.22 in your tools and that is what CM is reporting. smile.gif

I can post if you want. I sent the QP file to Steve last night.

btw I updated my post about using the K10, PC connected via HDMI cable as patch generator. Thinking you may be using your PC as a patch generator also.

yeah, going back to PC until they fix the Lumagen...

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page