Issue with "Advanced Brightness Calibration" using Disney WOW - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-10-2014, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I decided it was time to calibrate my TV after enduring improper black levels for over a year. This isn't my first time doing this but it is the first time I've used Disney's WOW disc. Under the advanced brightness setting no matter what the brightness or contrast is set at I cannot see anything on the checkerboard until after the first 3 stars. Below is an image of what the calibration screen "should" look like. Inversely I cannot see the +1% and +2% stars regardless of the settings (according to the manual these should be visible). It appears as if at a set point my TV makes everything equally black instead of the gradual change. The TV is a Sharp 70LE600U. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Jared
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-11-2014, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxsexy View Post

It appears as if at a set point my TV makes everything equally black instead of the gradual change. The TV is a Sharp 70LE600U. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, check to your TV settings and disable any Black Level Enhancer or Dynamic Contrast Mode.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #3 of 11 Old 03-11-2014, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I forgot to include that. Dynamic Contrast and OPC are disabled. I'm going to drag another TV into my living room and hook it up to my entertainment center. If it does it with that one than the issue isn't the tv and could be the disk or something else.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-11-2014, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

So I just tested it with another monitor and its definitely the TV... DAMN. I really should have not waited over a year to calibrate a $2k TV. If its hardware related I'm out of warranty now.

I'm going to see if there's a software update available.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-11-2014, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
try a different viewing mode.

President, Lion Audio Video Consultants Inc.
Lead THX Video Standards Instructor
post #6 of 11 Old 03-11-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Something like that is not going to be a hardware problem, like a bad electronic component... no way, especially in the digital video world.

The 2 settings you mentioned are not necessarily the ONLY settings in the TV that might be blocking you from getting better black levels from the TV.

Sometimes the picture mode you are using will even cause odd effects like the brightness control not working right. So try different picture modes... even ones you think might not be useful (though Dynamic mode or other garish modes aren't worth bothering with). For example, you might be using a mode named Natural or Neutral, but that's not an accurate characterization and you can't get control over the black level until you select Movie or Cinema or Custom mode (not saying your TV has all those modes, but it may have some similar mode options).

You also want to be sure you aren't getting balled up in the 0-255 vs 16-235 thing in RGB mode, that will bomb your black levels bad... either making them perpetually too dark or perpetually too bright. You're better off with everything in YCbCr mode... in YCbCr mode, all video is 16-235 unless some product breaks the rules and makes 0-255 / 16-235 apply to YCbCr... not SUPPOSED to happen, but manufacturers do a lot of things that aren't supposed to happen.

Start with investigating the 0-255 / 16-235 issue... only problem is your TV may not use that nomenclature... it may have a menu option with Normal or Standard or Limited as one setting (those would all signify 16-235) or Expanded, Full Range, PC and those would indicate 0-255... but those aren't the only strange names manufacturers use to camouflage the real setting. And at least one manufacturer (Samsung) has managed to label the setting backwards for 5 years or so. Sometimes the setting is called Black Level, but as usual, different brands assign different names to it.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #7 of 11 Old 03-11-2014, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys,

I will try your suggestions. Makes sense about it being digital (just like the HDMI cable wouldn't be the issue). I just updated the firmware with no luck. This TV has the fewest settings I've ever seen. Other than the standard brightness/contrast/etc there's an OPC range that effects the brightness even with OPC disabled.... LOL

I'll try playing around the setting in different viewing modes. I was assuming the same results could be achieved in any mode by tweaking the settings. Sounds like I was incorrect.

Thanks again for your help.

-Jared
post #8 of 11 Old 03-12-2014, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Tried every available setting without luck on any display mode. There are very few settings tho... Are there still service menu's accessible in these newer TVs?
post #9 of 11 Old 03-12-2014, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hello

You may have reached the limit of what you can do. The controls on the 70LE600U are limited at best. When these sets first came out most that were purchased by people intending to do any type of calibration exchanged them for the 70LE640U because of these limitations.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-13-2014, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post

Hello

You may have reached the limit of what you can do. The controls on the 70LE600U are limited at best. When these sets first came out most that were purchased by people intending to do any type of calibration exchanged them for the 70LE640U because of these limitations.

Thanks for the reply!

That's what I was thinking and afraid of. frown.gif I didn't want a smart TV and got it on Black Friday for a decent deal. They were still new so all the reviews were positive. I even told my brother last night that the reason the TV to this day has positive reviews is because most people don't care enough to calibrate lol.

I'll find a way to access the settings I need if its out there.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-17-2014, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Any one else have any advice on this? I'm not finding much on a service menu. frown.gif
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page