Calibration software for Mac users? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-19-2014, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all

Just wondering why there's tough love for Mac users when it comes to calibrating an HDTV. I have an i1 Display Pro from x-rite that does a reasonable job when calibrating my Pana 65VT60. I want to take it to the next level. Have read great things about Chromapure and Calman and was ready to hand over my hard earned, but alas, neither run natively on Macs. I did contact both companies about any likelihood of Mac compatibility. One said perhaps, maybe, no. The other didn't respond.

Is there any "paid" software on the planet that will work in conjunction with the i1 Display Pro that runs natively on a Mac? I know you can run Windows on a Mac and then run either of the aforementioned software, but, I have no desire to do this. I just want compatible software out of the box.

Failing that. I have done some cursory reading on this website about HCFR. Apparently it is excellent. Once again, there seems to be (tough love) haphazard information on how to set it up for Mac users. Is there a section which outlines how to download, burn, then run it and make it work for Mac users? Something that is simple and in lay mans terms. I'm not overly endowed with technological prowess:)

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 228
You can run ANY calibration software on Intel Macs. Just buy Windows 7 or 8 and run that when you want to calibrate. Lots of ways to do it... 2 separate hard disks, 1 big disk with Windows and Mac O/S partitions, or just run Windows all the time. You can also get Windows emulation software that runs under Mac O/S - it may work OK, but it's not going to provide quite the experience you'd get running Windows directly since the emulation software itself will slow things down a bit. There's nothing magic about Mac O/S.... I use both Mac O/S and Windows.... Mac O/S for music playback (using software that bypasses the O/S and as much hardware as possible), Windows for everything else.

There's no reason to lament the lack of Mac O/S calibration software. If you want to calibrate on a Mac, you can do it. If you don't like what's required to do it... oh well.

More than 90% of the personal computers in the world run Windows. If you were in the software business, would you write software for (less than) 10% of the world audience, or do you think you might do better if you wrote software compatible with more than 90% of the world's personal computers? Trying to make money writing Linux software is also tough

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX -- ISF -- HAA
Old 03-20-2014, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Doug

Thanks for your input. Yeah, you're right. It all gets down to the most efficient allocation of resources for maximum profitability. Might be a while before Macs reach sufficient market penetration to entice software companies like Calman/Chromapure to produce compatible software. I've completed a rudimentary calibration via Disneys WOW bluray and then with the i1Display Pro and x-rites proprietary software. I'm very pleased with the results but want to go all out now lol.

You're suggestion of using a separate hard disk has a lot merit. If I'm interpreting this correctly, would it be possible to attach a HDD drive via USB to my Mac and run Windows on the attached HDD? I would definitely be prepared to do this.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:55 PM

Liked: 12
I've seen mitigated reports about booting Windows on a USB drive on a Mac - a few report that it works, most report that it does not. However this reportedly works using a thunderbolt drive.

Using a virtualization software (which is not emulation by the way) like VmWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop works; your virtual hard drive is a file on your Mac, which you can put anywhere you want - on an external drive if you wish. With a recent Mac it works well. Not quite as fast as native Windows, which with Calman I could see with my 2011 MacBook Pro, but it's fully usable.

There used to be a HCFR version for Mac, but the last time I tried it was long ago, before HCFR was changed to use Argyll drivers (before the existence of i1Display Pro).
Old 03-20-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Instead of buying all the software. Why don't you just a get a laptop PC and use it only for Calibration's. That's what I did and it came with windows 8. HP 17" screen, HD video, and HDMI out for $279.00 at Office Depot.
Works Perfect and the only thing that uses the USB Ports are Video Calibration related Hardware.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

Old 03-20-2014, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Hi boum

Ok, so if I'm reading this correctly. I would need a HDD attached via USB to my Mac, install VMware on the HDD and then install and run Calman on said HDD or HDD attached via USB to my Mac, install VMware on my Mac and then install and run Calman on said HDD. Apologies in advance for the basic questions, I'm trying to get my head around this.

FYI, I have an older iMac, it's a 2008 vintage.

Cheers
Old 03-20-2014, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Glenee

Yep, that's my other alternative. Unfortunately I live in Australia and we have this thing called the "Australia tax". Basically, everything here costs 2 to 3 times what it costs elsewhere, but I digress. I might be forced to buy a laptop in order to try and get this done. It's becoming a vendetta now lol.

One thing I need to clarify before purchasing a laptop. The i1 Display Pro and it's associated software is registered to my Mac. If I buy a laptop and run Calman, will the i1 Display Pro work with the laptop? Do I have to purchase an additional license?
Old 03-20-2014, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noloveformac View Post

One thing I need to clarify before purchasing a laptop. The i1 Display Pro and it's associated software is registered to my Mac. If I buy a laptop and run Calman, will the i1 Display Pro work with the laptop? Do I have to purchase an additional license?
Nothing in the instrument locks it to any particular software.

Some software may or may not work with a particular type of instrument, or may want certain licenses to work with a particular instrument.

[ Maybe not relevant to conventional Video calibration, but note that ArgyllCMS & DispcalGUI run on a Mac, so you can use these to create 3DLut calibrations if it suites your setup. ]
Old 03-20-2014, 09:27 PM

Liked: 12
I'll try to clarify things a bit: to run Windows on your mac, you have two options. The first is to use Boot Camp Assistant, which is a utility that is supplied by Apple as a part of OS X. This will reallocate a portion of your iMac's hard drive to be used by Windows, and will guide you in the process leading to installing Windows on your Mac. Once this is completed, you will have both OS X and Windows installed on your iMacs hard drive. You can select upon powering on the computer which one you will use. So if you boot in Windows, once you are done calibrating, you will need to reboot the computer to go back to OS X. Running Windows this way works with your internal hard drive. You likely won't be able to have a working setup if you try to install to a USB hard drive.

The other option is to use a virtualization software such as VmWare Fusion or Parallel Desktop. This installs as an application in OS X. You then proceed to install Windows in a "virtual machine". To use Windows, you just open the app, and restore the virtual machine. You'll have Windows running in a window, in OS X. Your Mac apps continue to run at the same time. The virtual machine's hard drive will actually be just a file. This file can be stored on your iMac's internal hard drive, or anywhere else. The internal hard drive will probably offer the best performance in your case.

Since your Mac is more or less 6 years old, you should try a demo of Fusion or Parallel Desktop & demo version of the software you consider buying to see how they perform on that setup before spending for the virtualization software.

A cheap Windows laptop definitely makes sense, especially considering that the iMac is not exactly portable. How far is it from the display you want to calibrate?
Old 03-21-2014, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noloveformac View Post

From X-Rite? No. SpectralCal (Calman) and X-Rite have a licensing agreement. You will need to purchase an appropriate Calman license (you might also need to download the Windows' hardware driver package from Spectracal.)

Worse case, you'd still be able to use the X-rite profiler software on the Mac, while using Calman on the PC.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boum View Post

A cheap Windows laptop definitely makes sense, especially considering that the iMac is not exactly portable. How far is it from the display you want to calibrate?

Hey there boum. Looks like I'll be going down the Windows laptop path. My iMac isn't all that far from my plasma, it's just an inconvenience to move it from my office to the lounge then back again.

Cheers
Old 03-21-2014, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

From X-Rite? No. SpectralCal (Calman) and X-Rite have a licensing agreement. You will need to purchase an appropriate Calman license (you might also need to download the Windows' hardware driver package from Spectracal.)

Worse case, you'd still be able to use the X-rite profiler software on the Mac, while using Calman on the PC.

Thanks HDTV, that's what I wanted to hear.

Thanks to all, you have been most helpful and have provided informative posts. It's much appreciated. Hopefully one day I'll be able to reciprocate.

And so the journey begins.................
Old 03-21-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

A used Windows laptop will perform well with CalMAN. No need to even deal with buying new unless you want to get a new computer anyway. Just make sure you get at least a dual core processor running around 1.5-2 GHz. My wife's low-end Windows laptop with a single core AMD processor (4 years old and under $300 US when new) is too slow to run CalMAN satisfactorily. So if you decide to get a new laptop, don't scrimp too much on the processor as they are still selling laptops that are so slow that anything beyond word processing. Email, and Facebook and such really aren't practical. For example, my wife's laptop won't stream video very well at all, even when the resolution is much lower than HD resolution. Useless for YouTube or just about any video streaming even in a small window. So you CAN end up with a computer that would be too slow to be satisfactory. In a new computer, I'd recommend at least an Intel i3 processor or AMD equivalent. I routinely run CalMAN on a 2007 Toshiba laptop with a Core2 Duo Intel processor (1.8 GHz) and it is sufficiently fast. Loading time for CalMAN is the only thing that's on the slow side but everybody lives with that unless they use a solid state hard disk, in whicn case, it will load in a couple of seconds. And CalMAN's loading time isn't THAT bad. It does take longer to load than any other software I've ever used.... just guessing, it's about 30 seconds to load. RUNNING CalMAN isn't that demanding of the computer as long as it's not a bottom-feeder re. speed.

THX -- ISF -- HAA
Old 03-21-2014, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Doug

I'm looking at purchasing this. Should be ok based on what you're saying and the minimum specs as per the Calman website?

http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/products/computers/satellite/c50/pscjea-01n011/specifications

I went ahead and purchased the Calman5 Enthusiast package. I'm now "enthusiastically" awaiting the package from Calman to arrive in Australia.:)

Hopefully it shouldn't take too long.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Doug. I tried linking the website but I do not have permission so I've cut and pasted it's spec. It should be ok yeah? Cost is $489.00. It's an entry level Toshiba laptop.

General

CPU Intel® Celeron® processor N2820 (Dual Core 2.4GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache) Help
Operating System Windows 8.1 (64bit) Help
Screen Size 15.6" HD CSV Widescreen with LED Backlit Display Help
Resolution 1366 x 768 Help
Screen Aspect Ratio 16:9 Help
Memory 4GB DDR3 (1600Mhz) Help
RAM slot allocation Total memory expandable to 16GB  
Storage 500GB (5400rpm) with Toshiba HDD Accelerator Help
Graphics Intel® HD Graphics Help
Optical Disc Drive DVD SuperMulti Double/Dual Layer Help
Audio Microphone & Headphone ports Help
Speakers Stereo speakers Help
Webcam HD Webcam/Microphone Help
Buttons and Pointing device Touchpad with Gesture Help
Compliance EPEAT® gold rating, ENERGY STAR® 5.0 qualified, ROHS Compliant  
Standard Warranty* 1 year limited international parts and labour warranty, Australia and New Zealand warranty includes complimentary courier pick-up and return service (Metropolitan ANZ)*. Help
Security Kensington® cable lock slot for optional theft protection devices  
Software - Special Offers and Trial Software: 1 month trial for new Microsoft® Office 365 customers, Norton™ Internet Security (30-day trial subscription), Norton™ Online Backup (30-day Trial), Norton™ Anti-Theft (30-day Trial), - Third party Software - Internet Explorer®, Photo Gallery, Skydrive desktop, Norton PC Checkup, WildTangent Games Console, Toshiba Software and Utilities - TOSHIBA eco Utility™, TOSHIBA PC Health Monitor, TOSHIBA Media Player by sMedio Truelink+, TOSHIBA Maintenance Utility, TOSHIBA Recovery Media Creator, TOSHIBA Service Station, TOSHIBA Sleep Utility, TOSHIBA Resolution+®, Upconvert Technology for Media Player, TOSHIBA Video Player  

Expansion
USB Ports 3x USB Ports (2x USB 2.0 + 1x USB 3.0) Help
Bridge Media Adaptor Bridge Media Slot (SD, SDX, SDHC, MMC) Help
SVGA Video Port RGB Help
HDMI Yes  

Communication
LAN 10/100Mbps LAN Help
Wireless Communication 802.11(b/g/n) Help
DLNA DLNA Compatible  

Physical Description
Weight (from) 2.39kg Help
Battery Li 3-Cell Help
Dimensions (W x D x H(front/back)) 380 x 242 x 33.35mm Help
Colour Variation Onyx Black Help
Keyboard Colour Tile Matt Black  

Design and specifications are subject to change without prior notice. All images are for illustration purposes only.

*Terms and conditions apply, please refer to the Limited Warranty Statement.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

The only spec I'd question is the Celeron processor... back in the days when Celeron processors were single-core processors (one microprocessor in the chip) they were REALLY slow compared to the Pentium chips found in better computers back then. I don't know enough about dual core Celeron processors to know if they will give adequate processing power or not. The fact that it's dual core and running at 2.4 GHz SOUNDS like it should be fine, but I just don't know for sure. Today, they are still selling Celeron, Pentium, and i3/i5/i7 processors in computers. Performance of the processor is likely to be in that sequence also (Celeron = lowest performance, i7=highest performance. If you could find a similar computer with an i3 processor, I know that would have satisfactory performance. I'm not saying the Celeron will be as slow (comparitively) as they used to be... 10 years ago or more, but they are likely to be the lower performing Intel processors available these days.

THX -- ISF -- HAA
Old 04-01-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Old 04-01-2014, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Hey there

I'm located in Australia so I'm unable to access Best Buys selection of goods. I went with a Lenovo B590 which has an i3 processor for $499. Works fine with the Calman software. So pretty happy with that.

Is there a step by step process listed here or anywhere else for that matter for calibrating the Vt60 with Calman? I've gone through the Basic and Advanced calibration and I'm fairly pleased with the results. There's a lot more fine tuning I can do to try and get the deltas lower. I've tried going through the "Enthusiast" workflow but the software throws up errors a couple of steps into it. I'll investigate it further once I get a chance. All in all, quite pleased but will dig deeper so as I can maximise the software and its capabilities.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Bummer but I tried to Help.
I use chromapure and have never used CalMan. So I am of no help there either.
This is a great hobby and you are going to enjoy messing with this stuff alot.
All the Best.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

Old 04-04-2014, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

Instead of buying all the software. Why don't you just a get a laptop PC and use it only for Calibration's. That's what I did and it came with windows 8. HP 17" screen, HD video, and HDMI out for $279.00 at Office Depot.
Works Perfect and the only thing that uses the USB Ports are Video Calibration related Hardware.

This is what I do, I have a Laptop running Windows 7. I have HCFR and CalMAN which I use for calibrations on my plasma along with running Anthem Room Correction from my Anthem AVR.

Panasonic 60GT30
Denon X4100
Oppo BDP-103
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST CS-8060HD SR-8040BP ProMonitor 800 (front heights)
SVS 2x PC12-NSD
Dolby Atmos 5.2.2