Testing a new television - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-01-2014, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all.

I am new to the forums and looking for help on how to test a new TV for all the known issues. I am a newbie when it comes to TV's and hoping someone could educate me a little on what to look for during each test. I've been researching and made a list of these issues: clouding, banding, flashlighting, dead/stuck pixels, fingers, and screen uniformity.
I purchased the Sony 55w900a television and would like to run all the proper tests to make sure my set is okay.
Thanks for any input on where I can find these tests and what to look for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-02-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 198
You might want to try the lcd flat panel section of the forum since these aspects of picture quality are not strictly calibration related.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 04-02-2014, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 226
I can run 100 test patterns that would make you swear your TV is a complete piece of crap. Yet when you watch TV or a Blu-ray movie, you'll never see ANY of the bad things.

So what are you trying to accomplish really? Get some kind of validation that you bought the right TV before your 30 day return option is gone?

Frankly, I've never seen a video display problem on a random unit here or there... if a display has a problem, all the units have the same problem. I've seen broken TVs, but they are OBVIOUSLY broken... part of the picture is whacked in some serious way, crack in the panel, no picture at all, won't turn on... etc.

It would have been more appropriate to research the owner's thread for the models you are considering to see what peoples' experience with that model has been BEFORE you buy the TV rather than buy something then go looking for problems so you can return it before you are stuck with it. I guarantee you that I can make you want to return ANY TV you might come home with based on what some test patterns reveal. But watching TV on those displays is unlikely to be problematic. So just watch TV and see if there's anything that doesn't look right. If the picture looks reasonably good after a couple of weeks, swapping that one out for another is going to be a waste of time and very unfair to the retailer and manufacturer..

If you want an LCD TV without clouds or other illumination artifacts, NEVER buy an edge-lit TV because nobody has made one yet without those problems, There is a better chance that an array of white or RGB LEDs behind the panel (rather than along one edge) will have more uniform illumination of the panel, but even those aren't necessarily perfect.

In any case, you need a disc and Blu-ray player to find out what your display does or doesn't do. For the things you want to look at, the Spears & Munsil v.2 is probably the disc you want. THough if you are very new to this the Disney WOW disc is less technical but lacks many patterns for evaluating the display. Digital Video Essentials has more background on video displays in general, and has more evaluation patterns than WOW, but not as many patterns as the Spears & Munsil disc.

And as the other poster mentioned, your question really isn't calibration related so it's best asked in the LCD display area and/or in the thread for those who own displays in the same model series that you have.
GeorgeAB, PlasmaPZ80U and h2c like this.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA --
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #4 of 6 Old 04-03-2014, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks for responding to my post, Doug Blackburn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

I can run 100 test patterns that would make you swear your TV is a complete piece of crap. Yet when you watch TV or a Blu-ray movie, you'll never see ANY of the bad things.
I only need enough tests that will expose blatant manufacturing flaws that are beyond the norm for this TV.
So what are you trying to accomplish really? Get some kind of validation that you bought the right TV before your 30 day return option is gone?
You are 100% correct in that I am wanting to validate that I received a good TV before the 30-day return option is gone.  If I spend a relatively large amount of money on a TV, I think that justifies wanting to investigate its quality.  Most people don't care and those people aren't on these forums (like me before I invested in a higher quality TV).  I am detail-oriented and wish to see if my set is manufactured as it should be given the basis of understanding that there is no perfect TV. There are subtle things that my untrained eye may not notice until after the 30-day mark.
Frankly, I've never seen a video display problem on a random unit here or there... if a display has a problem, all the units have the same problem. I've seen broken TVs, but they are OBVIOUSLY broken... part of the picture is whacked in some serious way, crack in the panel, no picture at all, won't turn on... etc.
Common sense.
It would have been more appropriate to research the owner's thread for the models you are considering to see what peoples' experience with that model has been BEFORE you buy the TV rather than buy something then go looking for problems so you can return it before you are stuck with it. I guarantee you that I can make you want to return ANY TV you might come home with based on what some test patterns reveal. But watching TV on those displays is unlikely to be problematic. So just watch TV and see if there's anything that doesn't look right. If the picture looks reasonably good after a couple of weeks, swapping that one out for another is going to be a waste of time and very unfair to the retailer and manufacturer..
I've read nearly the entire 139 page forum on the Sony 55w900a before posting this question.  On those that mention testing for "clouding", screen uniformity, etc, there is not much details on the procedure for accomplishing these tests, hence why I dived into other areas of the forums for a possible guide.  I understand there will be subtle discernible flaws with this TV, but if it's at a degree at which it shouldn't be then I need to be able to find it.
If you want an LCD TV without clouds or other illumination artifacts, NEVER buy an edge-lit TV because nobody has made one yet without those problems, There is a better chance that an array of white or RGB LEDs behind the panel (rather than along one edge) will have more uniform illumination of the panel, but even those aren't necessarily perfect.
Again, I understand there will be some degree of clouding, etc with this type of TV, but determining if it falls into the "return this TV" category is my goal.
In any case, you need a disc and Blu-ray player to find out what your display does or doesn't do. For the things you want to look at, the Spears & Munsil v.2 is probably the disc you want. THough if you are very new to this the Disney WOW disc is less technical but lacks many patterns for evaluating the display. Digital Video Essentials has more background on video displays in general, and has more evaluation patterns than WOW, but not as many patterns as the Spears & Munsil disc.
I had decided to go with the Spears & Munsil v.2 over the WOW and just take more time to learn it.  Thanks for telling me this can be used for testing TV issues other than just for calibration.  I assume the guide either on the dvd itself or the website will tell me what to look for?
And as the other poster mentioned, your question really isn't calibration related so it's best asked in the LCD display area and/or in the thread for those who own displays in the same model series that you have. Reading the first post pointed this issue out already, but thanks again.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-03-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 226
The clouding issue is best seen with a black screen... but you don't want the backlight to turn off. Some TVs will turn the backlight off if you send 16, 16, 16 (black) for every pixel. If that happens, you won't see anything. So you may need a pattern that's 1 digital step higher, like 17,17,17 to evaluate a dark screen for clouding. The "clouds" will indicate how uneven the backlight illumination is. There is no specification for how good or bad this should be that I've ever seen and I've never heard of a TV returned for this problem (may have happend, I just haven't heard of it, so it doesn't happen often).

In general, if the TV operates without obvious problems, it's probably representative of the model in every way.

Bad pixels... darn near impossible to evaluate. You have to use, at a minimum, a black screen plus a 100% red screen, 100% green screen, and 100% blue screen... examine all four screens for pixels that are too bright or too dark. It has been a LONG time since I've seen a TV or projector with a bad pixel. And few manufacturers or retailers will replace a TV if there's a small number of bad pixels. They often have an unpublished "spec" like 10 bad pixels or more in one area or 20 bad pixels over the entire screen... something like that where you have to know where each bad pixel is.

Many of the things you are talking about have no spec or threshold that indicates replacement. Quantifying something like clouding is damn near impossible. You'd probably have to take a photo of a black screen and they'd probably decide from the photo if they would send a technician to look at the TV. But sending a tech to look doesn't mean it will be replaced (or adjusted). The tech would likely either tell the manufacturer that the TV should be replaced or not. Photos can be manipulated so the company has to protect itself.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA --
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #6 of 6 Old 04-03-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 198
there are many on the lcd flat panel forums that have returned or exchanged TVs for uniformity issues (among other nitpicks)... I realize most TV owners never post on sites/forums like AVS, so this group of consumers is likely 1 percent or so of the total market

(so when you say you've never heard of people returning TVs for LCD screen uniformity problems, I take that you haven't frequented the lcd flat panel section of the forum and read the owner threads for popular models)

Reply Display Calibration
Gear in this thread - 55w900a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page