so confused, i1 display pro oem, retail, display 3? aren't they all the same? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-07-2014, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

So I am a first-time projector buyer and am looking to do at least some level of elementary calibration using a colorimeter. I go on amazon and see they are selling the i1 display pro for a decent price, so I'm like "great, this should suit me as a start." However after talking to various people on the phone and reading more, they are saying this retail version won't work with Calman or Chromapure software? This does not make sense to me, unless Calman and Chromapure have changed the firmware on the device and the software will only respond to that firmware.

There are so many threads that seem to call this meter different things, and it really confuses me jumping in. For example, I read somewhere that the display 3 pro is much better than the i1 display, but then there was a re-branding...so now they're all the same? I'm sure this information is in one of these threads somewhere, but I feel like the more I read the more confused I get.

I figured I would simply buy the amazon meter, try the hcfr open source stuff out, then if I feel like that's not enough some time down the line I could just buy the calman/chromapure software....please let me know if that's possible.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFlash18 View Post

Hi,

So I am a first-time projector buyer and am looking to do at least some level of elementary calibration using a colorimeter. I go on amazon and see they are selling the i1 display pro for a decent price, so I'm like "great, this should suit me as a start." However after talking to various people on the phone and reading more, they are saying this retail version won't work with Calman or Chromapure software? This does not make sense to me, unless Calman and Chromapure have changed the firmware on the device and the software will only respond to that firmware.

There are so many threads that seem to call this meter different things, and it really confuses me jumping in. For example, I read somewhere that the display 3 pro is much better than the i1 display, but then there was a re-branding...so now they're all the same? I'm sure this information is in one of these threads somewhere, but I feel like the more I read the more confused I get.

I figured I would simply buy the amazon meter, try the hcfr open source stuff out, then if I feel like that's not enough some time down the line I could just buy the calman/chromapure software....please let me know if that's possible.

Thanks.

Tiger,

all pretty easy: i1 Display pro === i1D3 === Display Pro

There's a Retail version and an OEM version... both are exactly the same and perform exactly the same.

What you need to watch out for is which meter type your calibration sw supports: for example Lightspace only supports the OEM version, CM does support the Retail version.... not sure what HCFR supports...

- M

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools: Display Calibration Tools
meter: Klein K-10 A, i1Pro, i1D3
AVS thread: Lightspace & Custom Color Patch Set & Gamma Calibration on Panasonic 65VT60
Old 04-07-2014, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 146
There was a time when Chromapure only supported their OEM version. I think Tom got approval to support the retail version a year or two ago, but I haven't visited the Chromapure site in a while. Probably best to ask directly if you're leaning that way.

Edit: Checked the website. Looks like the retail version *is* supported, however the per-meter licensing policy ($100 for each additional meter) appears to be still in place.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I think I'll just go forward with the retail version from amazon and see if that makes me happy enough with hcfr. I'm sure later down the line I will get more ambitious and go the calman/chromapure route.

If anyone has objections feel free to chime in.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Greetings

There is some software that comes with the Retail version that only works with the retail version ... should you decide to use the probe on your computer monitors. If you have the OEM probe, you have to pay for the software separately.

regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

Old 04-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Unless you're planning on using the bundled software that comes with the retail version, why would you want to get the retail version? From what I've read in this thread, OEM is more widely supported (unless I've missed someting).
Old 04-08-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
HCFR, CalMAN and Chromapure support both OEM and retail versions. Lightspace supports OEM.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacediver View Post

Unless you're planning on using the bundled software that comes with the retail version, why would you want to get the retail version? From what I've read in this thread, OEM is more widely supported (unless I've missed someting).

The price for the retail version is quite cheap on amazon...unless I'm missing something and the oem can be had for cheaper elsewhere.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

ah i c, thanks.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:10 AM

Hi further clarification please.. I have purchased an X-Rite EODIS3 i1Display Pro from Amazon a while ago, this is the X-Rite Display PRO 3 (X-Rite EyeOne Display 3) correct?
So many places omit the "3"

Also if I purchase Chromapure Standard and the Advanced Auto-Calibrate Add-On from Curtpalme it will work with this Amazon X-Rite EODIS3 i1Display Pro without any additional licence purchase?

thanks
Old 04-26-2014, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Hi, amazon is selling the retail version but you can check it's serial number.

i1Display Pro Retail: This device’s part number is: “EODIS3-XR”. This is the ONLY version of the i1Display Pro device that will work with X-Rite software.

i1Display Pro OEM: This device will look exactly like a standard i1Display Pro except the part number will include “OEM”.

ChromaPure Standard is coming with one meter licence, if you haven't used it for another meter, you need to send your meter details to the ChromaPure Support Team to generate a new licence file for that meter.
Iron Mike likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Old 05-05-2014, 08:55 PM

Great thanks, also part way down this FAQ page Under the "What is the EyeOne Display 3 PRO?" section there is talk of Inaccuracy and the special PRO version of the meter halving this with the use of correction figures. Can the Amazon X-Rite EODIS3 i1Display Pro meter take advantage of these correction figures?
Old 06-13-2014, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

does anyone know where to find a good deal on a new oem i1 display pro? Amazon seems to only have retail versions, unless I'm missing something...
Old 06-13-2014, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
does anyone know where to find a good deal on a new oem i1 display pro? Amazon seems to only have retail versions, unless I'm missing something...
Unless you buy used, those models are usually sold by either display vendors or calibration software vendors. If you plan on using it with Calman, HCFR, or DispcalGUI, you only need the retail. The OEM is most useful to those who want to use it with Lightspace.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

yea I'm good with argyllcms and HCFR so I'll probably get a retail one if I get one. Thanks
Old 06-13-2014, 08:11 PM
zel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I found a new one on eBay for considerably less than the Amazon price. That listing seems to be back to the Amazon price though, so I'm not sure if it was a mistake or a promotion.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 33
There is also a ColorMunki version of the i1 Display Pro, but it can't be used by any software except it's own. It's cheaper, so don't get tricked into buying it. It has a shinny black housing.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
There is also a ColorMunki version of the i1 Display Pro, but it can't be used by any software except it's own. It's cheaper, so don't get tricked into buying it. It has a shinny black housing.
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure Argyll can use it (the documentation says it can) which by extension means HCFR and DispCalGUI can as well.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think it might be slower too, not sure.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
I think it might be slower too, not sure.
I has some sort of delay on measurements, so it can not measure as quickly. Something like all measurements take at least 1 second.

Last edited by Stereodude; 06-14-2014 at 02:00 PM. Reason: correct minimum measurement time
Old 06-14-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
ArgyllCMS and HCFR support the colormunki display. It's identical to the i1 Display Pro except crippled in firmware to run slower, minimum read time is 1 second.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post
ArgyllCMS and HCFR support the colormunki display. It's identical to the i1 Display Pro except crippled in firmware to run slower, minimum read time is 1 second.
The speed limit has an impact on what reading modes can practically be supported - i.e. it's not possibly to measure the refresh rate of a CRT, Plasma or DLP, so it's not possible to synchronize the measurements, so the repeatability on these types of displays will not be quite as good as the i1 Display Pro.