Lumagen Radiance Mini-3D VS Accupel DVG-5000 VS ?, digital errors etc... - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 87 Old 05-27-2014, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

I have gone to using my PC and LS, CM or madVR to act as a pattern generator via HDMI. Seems to work well once you have taken the necessary steps to setup your PC's video card.

What are the steps you take to setup your video card?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 87 Old 05-27-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkcp View Post

Do current laptop video cards support 4K ?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #33 of 87 Old 05-27-2014, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Do current laptop video cards support 4K ?

it's coming, I think the newer Macbook Pros can do it already...

but all irrelevant until we got steady 4K content supply... especially disc content that is mastered to a known standard. smile.gif

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools: Display Calibration Tools
meter: Klein K-10 A, i1Pro, i1D3
AVS thread: Lightspace & Custom Color Patch Set & Gamma Calibration on Panasonic 65VT60
post #34 of 87 Old 05-27-2014, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:

It really depends on what calibration software you are using. LightSpace and Calman work well for PC pattern generation, madTPG with the beta versions of dispcalGUI/Argyll not very good.

Here is a link that takes you step by step. http://www.lightillusion.com/direct_hdmi.html

Hope this helps.

ss..
post #35 of 87 Old 05-29-2014, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

It really depends on what calibration software you are using. LightSpace and Calman work well for PC pattern generation, madTPG with the beta versions of dispcalGUI/Argyll not very good.

Here is a link that takes you step by step. http://www.lightillusion.com/direct_hdmi.html

Hope this helps.

ss..

SS,

What GPU do you have in your laptop, i'm also going this route due to just purchasing the eecolor box and don't have an ext PG, mines an intel HD 3000 and need to also change the registry to get the right 0-100 levels for hdmi.
post #36 of 87 Old 05-29-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:

Hope this helps.

ss..

I've read that guide many times. It is excellent in that it points you in the right direction but not as into the weeds as I was looking for. Vendor specific settings in the graphics drivers would be perfect. A detailed guide for at least "the big three" such as Intel, Nvidia and AMD would be useful. Anyways, I was wondering exactly what settings in your graphics drivers you set to get perfect output. My MacBook Pro is an AMD Radeon 6770M utilizing the Catalyst drivers and my desktop is an Nvidia GeForce 690. I'm used to Nvidia drivers and I am aware there is no setting for video levels by default without certain tweaks. I'm more interested in how to setup the drivers specifically for AMD cards. They do have the easy video levels check box but is that all I need to enable? In my experience setting up a graphics card for TV levels has never been straight forward.
post #37 of 87 Old 05-29-2014, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hitman- View Post

SS,

What GPU do you have in your laptop, i'm also going this route due to just purchasing the eecolor box and don't have an ext PG, mines an intel HD 3000 and need to also change the registry to get the right 0-100 levels for hdmi.

why exactly do u want to tweak the registry ? for 0-255 output ?

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
AVS thread: Lightspace & Custom Color Patch Set & Gamma Calibration on Panasonic 65VT60
post #38 of 87 Old 05-29-2014, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've read that guide many times. It is excellent in that it points you in the right direction but not as into the weeds as I was looking for. Vendor specific settings in the graphics drivers would be perfect. A detailed guide for at least "the big three" such as Intel, Nvidia and AMD would be useful. Anyways, I was wondering exactly what settings in your graphics drivers you set to get perfect output. My MacBook Pro is an AMD Radeon 6770M utilizing the Catalyst drivers and my desktop is an Nvidia GeForce 690. I'm used to Nvidia drivers and I am aware there is no setting for video levels by default without certain tweaks. I'm more interested in how to setup the drivers specifically for AMD cards. They do have the easy video levels check box but is that all I need to enable? In my experience setting up a graphics card for TV levels has never been straight forward.

funky,

I'll cover this in another tut on DCT in the future, but if u have the Lumagen, u can always check what levels are coming from the video card by putting the Lumagen in the signal path for testing...

most important is to remove all ICC profiles and also unload all currently active ICC profiles...

- M

post #39 of 87 Old 05-29-2014, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post

why exactly do u want to tweak the registry ? for 0-255 output ?

Correct.
post #40 of 87 Old 05-29-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:

funky,

I'll cover this in another tut on DCT in the future, but if u have the Lumagen, u can always check what levels are coming from the video card by putting the Lumagen in the signal path for testing...

most important is to remove all ICC profiles and also unload all currently active ICC profiles...

- M

I do ensure no profiles are active via the X-Rite utility. Yeah, I totally didn't know the Lumagen could do that. I hope it is simple to where I can fiddle with it enough to figure it out.
post #41 of 87 Old 05-29-2014, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Correct.

u gaming or why do u want 0-255 ?

post #42 of 87 Old 05-29-2014, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

funky,

- M

Do you use the "calibration tester" tool to remove/check for profiles?
post #43 of 87 Old 05-29-2014, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

u gaming or why do u want 0-255 ?

Not on my laptop no, Xbox1 for gaming smile.gif

I read by Madshi that the levels are affected (stretched unnecessarily) to an inaccurate state if 0-100 is not forced for HDMI for the intel GPU's.
post #44 of 87 Old 05-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I do ensure no profiles are active via the X-Rite utility. Yeah, I totally didn't know the Lumagen could do that. I hope it is simple to where I can fiddle with it enough to figure it out.

simply click the OK button which displays an info screen of the incoming signal... although, now that I think about it, it obviously can't tell u the levels.... (haven't used in forever)

- M

post #45 of 87 Old 05-29-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:

simply click the OK button which displays an info screen of the incoming signal... although, now that I think about it, it obviously can't tell u the levels.... (haven't used in forever)

- M

Ah, ok I know about clicking OK to see incoming levels. I thought there was something more than that. Still, I haven't put my MacBook through the Lumagen yet.
post #46 of 87 Old 05-29-2014, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not on my laptop no, Xbox1 for gaming smile.gif

I read by Madshi that the levels are affected (stretched unnecessarily) to an inaccurate state if 0-100 is not forced for HDMI for the intel GPU's.

okay, trying to follow here...

so u want to calibrate ur screen for 0-255 levels using the HDMI output of ur notebook as a pattern generator, because u're using the XBOX One in 0-255 setting ? and the Intel GPU of ur notebook does not output 0-255 w/o a registry hack ?

just remember, AFAIK video games are not mastered to a broadcast standard, so they can look even better in wide gamut... does the XBOX One have a specific gamut setting ?

- M

post #47 of 87 Old 05-29-2014, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

No, calibrate for video 16-235, this level is output from the HDMI via the renderer (the IGPU is set to 0-255).

Xbox has it's own separate display input.
post #48 of 87 Old 05-29-2014, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No, calibrate for video 16-235, this level is output from the HDMI via the renderer (the IGPU is set to 0-255).

Xbox has it's own separate display input.

sorry, I don't get it... confused.gif

if ur GPU already outputs 0-255 then why do u need a registry hack to do 0-255 ?

if u want to calibrate for video levels 16-235 then setup the GPU to output that...

post #49 of 87 Old 05-29-2014, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

sorry, I don't get it... confused.gif

if ur GPU already outputs 0-255 then why do u need a registry hack to do 0-255 ?

if u want to calibrate for video levels 16-235 then setup the GPU to output that...

It's not a simple as that, IGPU's output 16-235 regardless of it's GUI setting, so a hack is required to set the GPU to 0-255, this way the video/level is passed to hdmi correctly, turning off the unnecessary GPU level stretching.
post #50 of 87 Old 05-29-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 308
The registry change you are looking for is here, already linked this to you in PM wink.gif. And you are correct, this is required to avoid scaling in 8-bit in the video card over HDMI.
post #51 of 87 Old 05-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

The registry change you are looking for is here, already linked this to you in PM wink.gif. And you are correct, this is required to avoid scaling in 8-bit in the video card over HDMI.

Yes thanks, that's what you sent me the other day and where I read the info from I've posted, I've already applied the fix to my laptop to stop the 8bit conversion happening.

Looking forward to your comparison smile.gif
post #52 of 87 Old 05-29-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Sorry, I mistakenly thought you were still looking for it. Madshi's summary of various configurations of video rendering levels->video card levels->display levels pros/cons is quoted near the beginning of the madVR/ArgyllCMS thread.
post #53 of 87 Old 05-29-2014, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

Sorry, I mistakenly thought you were still looking for it. Madshi's summary of various configurations of video rendering levels->video card levels->display levels pros/cons is quoted near the beginning of the madVR/ArgyllCMS thread.

No probs, it was Iron Mike asking about it.
post #54 of 87 Old 05-29-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

SS,

I Just posted what I am running, see link. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1533676/calibration-computer-recommendations-request#post_24773462

ss
post #55 of 87 Old 06-20-2014, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 209
The Lumagen test pattern accuracy problem is now fixed.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #56 of 87 Old 06-20-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 184
For those who only use the Lumagen as a signal generator, does the firmware update correct the earlier problem where removing the Lumagen from the system altered the signal?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #57 of 87 Old 06-21-2014, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
For those who only use the Lumagen as a signal generator, does the firmware update correct the earlier problem where removing the Lumagen from the system altered the signal?
Yes Jim the new firmware fixes that problem. So now you can use the Lumagen as a pattern generator and then remove it from your chain.

ss
post #58 of 87 Old 06-26-2014, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Give me a few days and I will test this new firmware with that sweet Dolby
sillysally likes this.
post #59 of 87 Old 06-27-2014, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I had time to do comprehensive testing. I used the latest firmware, and factory default settings (except for that i turned off dithering).

Results: the errors are still here, and sometimes as big as two LSB. That stands in contradicition to what was promised by someone on Lumagen's board. Some people reported that dE errors (between lumagen and reference generator) measured with colorimeter got lower. That might be a result of better dithering (i suppose), but still the levels may be shifted (eg. you get 15 or 14 instead of 16) so Lumagen is not suitable device for calibration.

Update report attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Pattern Generator Test @ Dolby Monitor.zip (20.3 KB, 24 views)
post #60 of 87 Old 06-27-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoper View Post
I had time to do comprehensive testing. I used the latest firmware, and factory default settings (except for that i turned off dithering).

Results: the errors are still here, and sometimes as big as two LSB. That stands in contradicition to what was promised by someone on Lumagen's board. Some people reported that dE errors (between lumagen and reference generator) measured with colorimeter got lower. That might be a result of better dithering (i suppose), but still the levels may be shifted (eg. you get 15 or 14 instead of 16) so Lumagen is not suitable device for calibration.

Update report attached.
That's disappointing.
I only used the latest update for manual reference RGB/Video 100% WRGB to take readings using my 1211 and K10. That seemed to work.

Can you test the manual reference RGB/Video 100% WRGB, to see if that is accurate or not.

Thanks,

ss
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page