post #31 of 44 Old 04-19-2014, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

You have to plug in your meter and have it on the screen again. It will make some measurements using the installed profile and give you a report of the results.

Thanks, I truly am I moron tongue.gif

Here are the measurements report. Everything looks fine, but I could certainly use some feedback.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 04-21-2014, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
After some search and studying on the web, it looks like the icc profiles are only used by some programs, not all. For some reason Windows does not perform the color correction, nor do most graphics drivers. That being said, on my laptop, I have a rather high end NVIDIA graphic adapter and the driver for that adapter does allow a two point gray scale adjustment. That adjustment carries through for all programs on the computer including Windows itself.

I do not use i1Profile as there is no why to see or measure the results. It is color calibration for the masses. ColorHCFR or Argyll is the route I prefer.

Sony KDL-42V4100 LCD TV, Yamaha RX-V665 AV receiver, Sony PS3 slim, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
post #33 of 44 Old 04-21-2014, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Is there anyway to know which programs use icc profiles?
post #34 of 44 Old 04-22-2014, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Is there anyway to know which programs use icc profiles?

No really. Some times in the data sheet for the program it will say.

Sony KDL-42V4100 LCD TV, Yamaha RX-V665 AV receiver, Sony PS3 slim, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
post #35 of 44 Old 04-22-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschlic1 View Post

After some search and studying on the web, it looks like the icc profiles are only used by some programs, not all. For some reason Windows does not perform the color correction, nor do most graphics drivers.

Humm .... I'm not sure that's really true. In my experience with XP and Win7, a system wide ICC profile "sticks" unless a program deliberately resets the LUTs on the graphics card. On my laptop, it's obvious when this happens as the display's "native" CCT is in the 9500K range. In either case, one can usually reset to the desired ICC profile manually after launching a program. (Screen Resolution->Advanced Settings ... in Win7)
post #36 of 44 Old 04-22-2014, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschlic1 View Post

After some search and studying on the web, it looks like the icc profiles are only used by some programs, not all. For some reason Windows does not perform the color correction, nor do most graphics drivers.

Humm .... I'm not sure that's really true. In my experience with XP and Win7, a system wide ICC profile "sticks" unless a program deliberately resets the LUTs on the graphics card. On my laptop, it's obvious when this happens as the display's "native" CCT is in the 9500K range. In either case, one can usually reset to the desired ICC profile manually after launching a program. (Screen Resolution->Advanced Settings ... in Win7)

As I wrote earlier in the thread, there is a software accessible component to the profile that is used by rare individual programs that have a "Use Color Management" option, e.g. Picasa. Most other programs lack the option, e.g. Paint .NET, and they can't benefit from this part of the profile. However, profiles also contain a hardware component (video card LUT and monitor settings) that is system-wide and set by programs like SpectraCal's PC Client 3, and all programs benefit from this. The Windows Color Management control panel has always baffled me, because setting different profiles as the default doesn't have any immediate, obvious system-wide effect. That is, when I switch between profiles in PC Client 3, there is an obvious change to my desktop background picture. This does not happen when I use the Windows control panel. How exactly are you making this happen?
post #37 of 44 Old 04-22-2014, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After I run DispCalGUI, and have it loaded the profile.

I then went into Color Management to confirmed the profile I've created after calibrating was loaded. It was.
post #38 of 44 Old 04-22-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

After I run DispCalGUI, and have it loaded the profile.

I then went into Color Management to confirmed the profile I've created after calibrating was loaded. It was.

Color Gamut control/calibration is not possible...

PC/MAC are only can use VCGT (Video Card Gamma Tables) which are 1D LUT (RGB(Grayscale) & Gamma only), so your Color Gamut can't corrected, but if you are using a ICC capable software; like photoshop for example, your color gamut correction of your calibration you performed will be applyed there, If you open a picture there you will get the correct colors wink.gif

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #39 of 44 Old 04-22-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

This does not happen when I use the Windows control panel. How exactly are you making this happen?

On the color management page(Win7), try toggling the "Use My Settings for this Device" check-box twice. You should wind up with the box "checked." This forces windows to reload the default profile for the display.

It's kind of a crap-shoot, sometimes the profile loads on it's own at boot time, some times it doesn't ... I've just gotten into the habit of checking/toggling it manually every time I boot up.
post #40 of 44 Old 04-22-2014, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

On the color management page(Win7), try toggling the "Use My Settings for this Device" check-box twice. You should wind up with the box "checked." This forces windows to reload the default profile for the display.

It's kind of a crap-shoot, sometimes the profile loads on it's own at boot time, some times it doesn't ... I've just gotten into the habit of checking/toggling it manually every time I boot up.

Still doesn't have any effect on the desktop. Did you also use the Windows calibration feature accessible through the same control panel? I haven't done that and don't have any reason to. Maybe it's the prerequisite for getting Windows to program the LUT and set display settings with DDC. If so, I don't know why it would seemingly ignore the profiles created by Calman, which are the ones I'm switching between in the control panel. When I switch between them in Calman Client 3, there's an obvious change in desktop gamma.
post #41 of 44 Old 04-22-2014, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Still doesn't have any effect on the desktop. Did you also use the Windows calibration feature accessible through the same control panel? I haven't done that and don't have any reason to.

For Win7, Yes. You need to enable that check box on the system default page (Go to the "Advanced" tab and click "Change System defaults ..." button, then go to the "Advanced" tab on that page.) I can't help with Win8.x

But you *don't* want to actually do a "Windows Calibration" which amounts to nothing more than calibration by eyeball, IIRC.
Quote:
Maybe it's the prerequisite for getting Windows to program the LUT and set display settings with DDC. If so, I don't know why it would seemingly ignore the profiles created by Calman, which are the ones I'm switching between in the control panel. When I switch between them in Calman Client 3, there's an obvious change in desktop gamma.

Also you need to make sure the ICC or ICM profile is where Windows can find it and it should be set as the "default" for the device. The documentation is completely inadequate, and the Windows color management system is overly complicated if all you want to do is calibrate your display. Honestly, if your Calman solution is working well, the Windows Color Management might be more trouble than it's worth. smile.gif
post #42 of 44 Old 04-23-2014, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

For the 8 y/o old monitor I was using, Calman Client 3 would annoyingly prompt me about reading DDC every single time it was started or I resumed from sleep, and since the application of the profile doesn't survive a reboot, I began looking into why. I hoped I could get away with using the Windows Control Panel applet, but it doesn't apply profiles the way Client 3 does; at least, I could not get it to apply the LUT and monitor adjustments. While Client 3 behaves perfectly with my new monitor and TV, I do have issues with it when logging on as a different user. It would be great if I could avoid running it except during calibration, but I can't get the Windows applet to do what Client 3 does.

As best I can tell, Windows Color Management supports visual calibration of a monitor and can record and later apply the changes one makes through it. It also supports central management of ICM profiles, including the ones Calman creates, and software that is color management-aware can query Windows for the profiles and use them. However, the Windows applet apparently cannot apply the LUT and monitor adjustments contained in those Calman ICM profiles, which makes it pretty much useless to me.
post #43 of 44 Old 04-23-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

For the 8 y/o old monitor I was using, Calman Client 3 would annoyingly prompt me about reading DDC every single time it was started or I resumed from sleep, and since the application of the profile doesn't survive a reboot, I began looking into why. I hoped I could get away with using the Windows Control Panel applet, but it doesn't apply profiles the way Client 3 does; at least, I could not get it to apply the LUT and monitor adjustments. While Client 3 behaves perfectly with my new monitor and TV, I do have issues with it when logging on as a different user. It would be great if I could avoid running it except during calibration, but I can't get the Windows applet to do what Client 3 does.

As best I can tell, Windows Color Management supports visual calibration of a monitor and can record and later apply the changes one makes through it. It also supports central management of ICM profiles, including the ones Calman creates, and software that is color management-aware can query Windows for the profiles and use them. However, the Windows applet apparently cannot apply the LUT and monitor adjustments contained in those Calman ICM profiles, which makes it pretty much useless to me.

Update to the current version of Client 3. It does this rediscovery silently now.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #44 of 44 Old 04-23-2014, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

AFAIK, I am using the latest Calman Client, 3.0.1.61. When I log off Windows 7 x64 and back on as a different user (both admin accounts), I get two error boxes with the messages:

1. Access to the database file is not allowed. [ 1914,File name = C:\ProgramData\SpectraCal\CalMAN Client 3\Data\MonitorsDB.2.3.sdf,SeCreateFile ]

2. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

When I log off and back on to my usual account, it works fine.

I've also noticed that the program also leaves behind a ton of detritus; I currently have 1,595 ICM files with GUID names in my temp folder dating back three weeks.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page