Sony 600ES calibration question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 05-04-2014, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a ISF calibration of the Sony 600 es and he only did the Gain and Bias of the RGB for a custom white balance. He did not do a Hue Saturation or Brightness of the RGBCMY. Is this correct? He said that he does not need to do that. Is there any way I can ask him about this to confirm that he knows what he is doing.

Scott
Palm Springs CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-05-2014, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 336
The 600ES has been touted by several people as having very good CMS accuracy with the factory settings. I'll be hanging mine in a couple weeks so can't comment further until I get my meter on it.

Did your calibrator take gamut measurements or just do grayscale and call it a day? Did he give you a calibration report?
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #3 of 16 Old 05-05-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc4140 View Post

I had a ISF calibration of the Sony 600 es and he only did the Gain and Bias of the RGB for a custom white balance. He did not do a Hue Saturation or Brightness of the RGBCMY. Is this correct? He said that he does not need to do that. Is there any way I can ask him about this to confirm that he knows what he is doing.

Scott
Palm Springs CA

Hi Scott, did he took Color Gamut Measurements? Classic WRGBCMY, or something more detailed like x-Point Saturations / ColorChecker?

Adk him if he can provide you the Calibration Report with Pre/Post measurements.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #4 of 16 Old 05-05-2014, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

I will ask him for the report. I dont think he took other measurements. Should that be done when you do a ISF calibration
post #5 of 16 Old 05-05-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will ask him for the report. I dont think he took other measurements. Should that be done when you do a ISF calibration

So he took only Grayscale measurements?

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
post #6 of 16 Old 05-05-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

This sounds like BestBuy. Was it?

Buzz

post #7 of 16 Old 05-05-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

What meter did he used?

post #8 of 16 Old 05-05-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got a copy of the report but is in a PDF format . How should I post it?

As an attachment.

Buzz

post #9 of 16 Old 05-05-2014, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Its 30mb and wont download. ill try to divide it into smaller segments.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-05-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Its 30mb and wont download. ill try to divide it into smaller segments.

You can upload it to sendspace and later copy-paste the download link here.

post #11 of 16 Old 05-05-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 226
There is a computer application available from Sony that provides additional calibration controls that are not in the User Menu... I could see MEASURING RGBCMY and finding they didn't need adjustment (or that gamma didn't need adjustment) but if those measurements were never made, you would never know if the projector needed more attention.

If you use 3D you need a completely separate calibration because the projector's lamp level is set much higher and there is a color tint to the LCD 3D glasses and the only way to compensate for that color shift from using the 3D glasses is to perform the 3D calibration with a lens of the 3D glasses over the meter OR use the 3D glasses to characterize the meter so subsequent 3D measurements can be made without the 3D glasses (when you do this, the calibration software will create a color offset so the meter will "fix" the color offset from the 3D glasses without the 3D glasses having to be in front of the meter - but you do have to have at least 1 meter reading with and without the 3D glasses and the software has to support this sort of "compensation".

If the calibrator you selected is not familiar with Sony projectors, he may not be aware of the software application that supports more detailed calibration of their projectors. I distinctly remember using that software to make calibration improvements on a 1000ES I reviewed. I also remember the 1000ES being pretty good, calibration-wise so big changes weren't necessary. But improvements are improvements and every available tool should be used.

I just found the software again... took a few minutes. They call it ImageDirector 3.1 and it is for gamma correction (and I think it allowed color-by-color control so it's much more flexible than just grayscale with high and low adjustments. I didn't see it on the 600ES Support page, but it is on the 1000ES support page. You can't do anything useful with it without calibration software and a meter, of course. But you can get more "pin-point" correct results using that software (assuming it is compatible with the 600ES, it was compatible with some of the 1080p projector models also so I don't see why it wouldn't work with the 600ES. As I recall, it took me a while to get good results from that software as I had to learn what it was doing before I could maximize its benefits.
h2c likes this.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #12 of 16 Old 05-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Hi Scott, your calibration is most likely fine. The CS-200 is a very accurate tool. Your ColorFacts report doesn't actually show the gamma result (just a non referenced curve) so it is hard to tell what the actual final result was. All the Sony PJ needs is 2 point white balance controls to get the gray scale linear. There is no reason to adjust the CMS controls on the Sony, as when the correct color space is selected it will have very good accuracy.

Regards

Gregg

President, Lion Audio Video Consultants Inc.
Lead THX Video Standards Instructor
post #13 of 16 Old 05-05-2014, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
post #14 of 16 Old 05-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 70
The 600ES I have calibrated (3) now have been pretty amazing out of the box with no if any CMS adjustment needed. Same for the 55ES.

Before

After

Master of Minions, Acoustic Frontiers. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #15 of 16 Old 05-06-2014, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Nice job.
post #16 of 16 Old 05-07-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:

Along with the CS-200, we use ColorFacts Professional software, a pro-grade software package that provides a myriad of picture analysis functions, and also allows direct control of selected HDTVs, such as Pioneer’s Elite series of plasma flat panels.

There's your issue. ColorFacts is obsolete calibration software that hasn't been supported by Datacolor (the publisher) for quite a long time now... maybe 5 years. I started out with ColorFacts in 2007 but by 2009, it was "dead": and CalMAN came along with so much more capability that it made ColorFacts look pretty weak.

ColorFacts has NEVER been able to directly control a video display. I don't know where they got that. They would have to have ControlCal or CalMAN oir some other software that did include direct display control (though this isn't necessary for a good calibration, it's just a convenience for the calibrator).

No wonder there was no discussion of CMS calibration... their software doesn't support it. I don't know any active calibrators (as opposed to casual/occasional, whether they call themselves professional calibrators or not) who would not do CMS calibration on video displays that have CMS controls. ColorFacts COULD be used for 3D grayscale also, but you would have to put the glasses in front of the meter for the entire calibration because "characterization" of the meter wasn't supported by ColorFacts either. In short, today, nobody doing calibration seriously would still be using ColorFacts.

This ASSUMES that the calibrators information is up to date. It's always possible he has the latest version of CalMAN or something else new but never updated the info you quoted. No way for us to know about that.
Gordon Fraser likes this.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
Reply Display Calibration
Gear in this thread - 600ES by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page