SONY BRAVIA KDL46HX800 service menu to get rid of 480p overscan issues. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-05-2014, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi all.

Have been a lurker here for awhile, but I finally decided to join in when I became stumped with a problem that, quite frankly, is doing my head in. I have a KDL46HX800 TV and every input, apart from component, has no overscan issues. Over component I'm losing quite a bit all the way around. If I put it to display +1 I get this annoying grey bar going down the side. Now, I have the service menu code, but have no idea how to set the horizontal and vertical on a certain input. If anyone has done this themselves on this particular TV, or at least could point me in the right direction, I would be truly grateful, as it's one of those things that I can't let rest (you all know what I'm talking about. ^^)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-05-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Sony LCD service menus don't have any overscan controls...

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #3 of 7 Old 06-05-2014, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

So there's no way that I can manually change the vertical and horizontal. You sure? Well that sucks.

Any other ideas? The overscan is at keast an inch and there's nothing I can do in the ordinary menus. I've got the latest firmware installed also.

Thanks.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-06-2014, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20

The only other thing I can think of (if it is available) is to make sure that your 480p source has the right aspect ratio to match with the full pixel ratio of your TV.

EX: The WiiU has an option to expand or decrease the safe area or aspect ratio to match it with the TV. But WiiU is doing 1080p obviously.

Otherwise, contact Sony...

post #5 of 7 Old 06-07-2014, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately the only way to get rid of the overscan is to put the aspect ratio at +1 and then it underscans with an annoying grey bar down the right side. It's actually the original Wii that I have connected,but no such setting exists like on the WiiU.
I have contacted SONY and, although I have received a reply, as yet they haven't provided me with a solution.

Thanks for the interest.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-07-2014, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20

I think on the Wii you can adjust the safe area as well, but not like the Wii U. I remember doing it on an SDTV because it was slightly off centered. Double check the settings menus.

post #7 of 7 Old 06-07-2014, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

There is a setting, as you say, but it only adjusts the horizontal either one way or the other. I may just have to live with it if SONY can't provide me with a fix. I find it astonishing that the service menu lacks an option to manually adjust aspect ratio for each input.
Reply Display Calibration
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page