calibrating LG TV with HCFL blue channel problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-13-2014, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question calibrating LG TV with HCFL blue channel problem

Hi all, when calibrating my display with my new colourmunki display I was able to use 10 point IRE with my setup disc and above very acceptable results but... In the higher IRE chapters I noticed that the blue channel was sitting far too high. Adjusting the colour temperature to warn brought it down but only so far after maxing out the blue channel adjustment at -50.

The only way I found I could get it to read 100% was by boosting the red and green channels to compensate (i realise you don't normally adjust 3 channels) so the overall light output of the top few IRE. Settings are now a bit brighter, I dropped the contrast a tad to keep my output at about 40 fL which is comfortable.

Is there any real problem with doing this? Or is there a better way of bringing the blue down? My errors were tiny up until about 70 IRE.

Cheers guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-14-2014, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Make sure you choose the most accurate pre-set picture mode before you dive into the calibration. Usually we pick Movie/Cinema mode. If you are using any other mode, there will almost always be a heavy blue push. And pick a color temperature that is the closest to 6500 kelvin (usually warm 2). That being said, it is always better to have a blue error vs red or green. But since you are doing a 10 pt adjustment, you should be able to nail down all errors if done correctly ofcourse.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-14-2014, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, I am using the isf calibration setting which I think overrides the likes of game and cinema. I have selected the warmest temperature and it left me with blue levels at about 115% after adjusting the blue down as far as possible. I pushed the green and red until all were 100% but I think it has thrown the luminance out a bit and now I think I need to get the gamma calibrated better
post #4 of 4 Old 06-19-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Model number would help. Plasma or LCD/LED? ... I'm guessing LCD since it's 10pt.

First reset all the 10pts adjustments to zero.

For LG's start at 100% and work your way down. Also you need to verify that contrast is set properly so that both whiter-than-white can be displayed without clipping and that the 10pt controls actually line up with the appropriate video levels. (80 for 80, not 80 for 90) On my LG these two contrast settings happen to line up "perfectly."

PS: Adding red is as effective as subtracting blue. (Holding green constant.)
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page