Newbie needs help with calibration - AVS Forum
Display Calibration > Newbie needs help with calibration
superkyle's Avatar superkyle 04:14 PM 06-17-2014
Hey guys do to my current location there exist no way to get my tv professionally calibrated. I have decided to take the plunge and buy the hardware/software needed to calibrate the tv myself. I am open to any and all advice. As of now I am considering the C3 or possibly the ID3 colorimeter and the calman 5 software. Does anyone have any advice for this. I have read several threads that go back and forth on which is better. I want to be able to calibrate the tv for the most accurate color representation possible however I can't justify spending $600 on a c6 colorimeter. Are there any new brands out there that are better than the ones mentioned above? Also of the two which one is considered a higher standard. Keep in mind I am a beginner however I will play with it until it is near perfect so one being slightly less user friendly is not a deal breaker.

kkpro's Avatar kkpro 04:52 AM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkyle View Post
Hey guys do to my current location there exist no way to get my tv professionally calibrated. I have decided to take the plunge and buy the hardware/software needed to calibrate the tv myself. I am open to any and all advice. As of now I am considering the C3 or possibly the ID3 colorimeter and the calman 5 software. Does anyone have any advice for this. I have read several threads that go back and forth on which is better. I want to be able to calibrate the tv for the most accurate color representation possible however I can't justify spending $600 on a c6 colorimeter. Are there any new brands out there that are better than the ones mentioned above? Also of the two which one is considered a higher standard. Keep in mind I am a beginner however I will play with it until it is near perfect so one being slightly less user friendly is not a deal breaker.
I just bought the C6 with Calman enthusiast, nice combo. However, I thought I just saw a sale on the 1D3 meter and Chromapure that may save you some money. I have never used Chromapure but a lot of folks do and like it. Either product would be good. There are some nice tutorial videos on Spectracal's website if you go the Calman route along with the walk-throughs that the software gives you.
Glad you are taking the plunge. You will see what your display is capable of.
Just an afterthought. Have you looked to see what calibration controls your display has? I have a lower end plasma in the bedroom with no real calibration controls. Pointless to have a meter and software for that.
chunon's Avatar chunon 05:55 AM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Go with the i1d3 best budget meter you can find.
superkyle's Avatar superkyle 07:51 AM 06-18-2014
Thanks guys for the input. I have just purchased a 2014 vizio M602i for the living room and plan to purchase the 65" P series vizio one it comes out. I may be wrong but pretty sure both have every setting I would need to tweak the picture to my liking.
The C6 seems like a great colorimeter however it is just too much money. The I1d3 is more in my price rang at I believe $250. The C3 is also at the same price range as the I1d3. So I take it the i1d3 is the better of the two? What about software? Which has the most user friendly software?
By chance does anyone on here know anyone that may be looking to upgrade and I could buy their older unit. Say has the C3 and looking to buy the C6 or something?
chunon's Avatar chunon 11:06 AM 06-18-2014
The I1d3 has sealed optics tends to drift less. I own Calman myself and like it alot.
superkyle's Avatar superkyle 04:53 PM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
The I1d3 has sealed optics tends to drift less. I own Calman myself and like it alot.
The i1d3 it is then. Is this the model you are referring to. I know I can buy it directly from x-rite however I like to shop around and save as much as I can haha.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0055MBQOW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1403131890&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40
chunon's Avatar chunon 04:55 PM 06-18-2014
Quote:
The i1d3 it is then. Is this the model you are referring to. I know I can buy it directly from x-rite however I like to shop around and save as much as I can haha.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0055MBQOW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1403131890&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40

Yes that's the one
superkyle's Avatar superkyle 04:56 PM 06-18-2014
I also realize that there exist a retail and oem version. Is it worth the upgrade price to get the oem? Sorry for all the question I want to make sure I get the right one and don't kick myself later.
spacediver's Avatar spacediver 06:03 PM 06-18-2014
Quote:
I also realize that there exist a retail and oem version. Is it worth the upgrade price to get the oem? Sorry for all the question I want to make sure I get the right one and don't kick myself later.
See this thread
superkyle's Avatar superkyle 07:10 PM 06-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
Thank you! That answers a lot of the questions I had. I was digging through the forum and found some of the answers but that really clears up a lot for me. Looks like I will go with the i1d3 retail and the calman 5 software...hopefully soon I will have the tv calibrated perfectly. (As perfectly as a $200 meter will get you at least)
Michael TLV's Avatar Michael TLV 08:25 AM 06-19-2014
Greetings

And of course, always remember the saying ... "a hammer does not come with instructions to build a house." That said, software and hardware does not make you a calibrator either ... just like buying a professional camera doesn't mean you suddenly shoot photos like the professionals.

http://www.tlvexp.ca/2013/03/poor-tv...ity-not-happy/

Give this article a read. It covers your real options for getting to a better image on the TV. Real tangible results.

A summary is:

1. Get a test disc and follow the instructions. (free-$40) If you follow the instructions correctly ... things get better ... if you don't ... well.
2. Get hardware and software along with the test disc and learn how to do all this yourself. Spend the next year scrounging around on the net looking for info. You might get to a better picture eventually. ($150-$500)
3. Hire a good professional to calibrate your TV and you get to the best end result in about 3-4 hours. ($250-$450) If you hire a bad one ... well who knows what you end up with.
4. Get professional level training along with the hardware and software. Training can cost ($100-$2000) and paying more does not guarantee you get better training. Add this to the hardware and software costs.

So many people out there make the mistake of buying and then assuming that it is the responsibility of the calibration software to teach you how to be a calibrator ... uh no.

Regards
superkyle's Avatar superkyle 08:57 AM 06-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV View Post
Greetings

And of course, always remember the saying ... "a hammer does not come with instructions to build a house." That said, software and hardware does not make you a calibrator either ... just like buying a professional camera doesn't mean you suddenly shoot photos like the professionals.

http://www.tlvexp.ca/2013/03/poor-tv...ity-not-happy/

Give this article a read. It covers your real options for getting to a better image on the TV. Real tangible results.

A summary is:

1. Get a test disc and follow the instructions. (free-$40) If you follow the instructions correctly ... things get better ... if you don't ... well.
2. Get hardware and software along with the test disc and learn how to do all this yourself. Spend the next year scrounging around on the net looking for info. You might get to a better picture eventually. ($150-$500)
3. Hire a good professional to calibrate your TV and you get to the best end result in about 3-4 hours. ($250-$450) If you hire a bad one ... well who knows what you end up with.
4. Get professional level training along with the hardware and software. Training can cost ($100-$2000) and paying more does not guarantee you get better training. Add this to the hardware and software costs.

So many people out there make the mistake of buying and then assuming that it is the responsibility of the calibration software to teach you how to be a calibrator ... uh no.

Regards
Oh no I completely understand. I do not expect the hardware to arrive at the door and immediately be able to replicate a professional calibration. The steep learning curve is the exact reason why I want to start with a basic meter. I am the type of person that would much rather teach myself how to do things rather than rely on paying someone else. I may struggle for a year or two but with enough reading and fiddling I think I should be able to obtain a picture that will look great to my eyes. Got to start somewhere haha. I have used the discs WOW and Munsil and am ready to try something better. I appreciate the concern but with time and help from some of the people on here I think/hope I will be just fine.
JimP 10:46 AM 06-19-2014
Quote:
Where are you located?

Some of our pro calibrators, Chad B is a good one, do travel throughout the country. Might drop him a line.
superkyle's Avatar superkyle 02:47 PM 06-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Where are you located?

Some of our pro calibrators, Chad B is a good one, do travel throughout the country. Might drop him a line.
I am working on my doctorate in mechanical engineering. Located in Starkville Mississippi.( going to MSU)
superkyle's Avatar superkyle 01:29 PM 06-20-2014
I think it is reasonable to guess that he will not be making his way anywhere close to me haha. If there are any other member on here that are in the area I would happily pay for a good calibration. Else I will tackle it myself...I kinda would like to learn anyways.
Michael TLV's Avatar Michael TLV 06:36 PM 06-20-2014
Greetings

The option to get professional training is always there.

regards
Up
Mobile  Desktop