Problem with 10p white balance on Samsung TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-21-2014, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Problem with 10p white balance on Samsung TV (Solved)

Solved! Test-pattern issues.

I just bought the Calman5 basic software and the Spectracal C3 to calibrate my 2011 Samsung PS64D8000FU Plasma TV.

Up until the 10 point white balance there are no problems when going through the advanced HT setup. My TV produce the strangest curves for 10p white balance. It varies so much from low to bottom that i do not have enough adjustment range to get even close to the target on the points from 30-80.

I have tried adjusting things like contrast and gamma, but all they do is move the entire curve up or down so i will still not be able to get all within the target.

I assume I am missing something here and hope you guys can tell me what that is.

See pictures of 2p white balance and 10p white balance. At the time of this measurement the 10p white balance is turned on but left in neutral setting on all adjustments.

Added;
I use the AVSHD test patterns on disc that i ordered with the Calman 5. The TV is indeed a European (Norwegian model). I do use the the same basic settings as recomended below; Movie, Warm2 and Gamma 0. Miguelrondas answer gives me confidence, but is there a chance my TV might have broken controlls? How else to explain that curve?

Today I tried a different blu-ray player. But that did not change anything. I will do a full run through with another test dics (DVE-HD) to see if that could be it.

Last edited by mmmbeer2; 06-21-2014 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Added info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-21-2014, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 131
What are you using for test patterns?

Also I would recommend using something like photobucket or attaching the images.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-21-2014, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Do not worry because you can get great results with your plasma 64D8000

Samsung PS64D8000 has implemented some excellent calibration controls, and with them you can get great results.

These are the results I have obtained with my Samsung PS64D8000 plasma tv

With patience you will get reference results

Select film mode and warm 2 color temperature. The gamma in value 0

First set the white balance using the controls to two points.

Secondly use the white balance control ten points only if necessary and to adjust the gamma point by point. In my case the gamma and with compensation of black, because otherwise crush the blacks

For calibration I used the excellent disc patterns created by Ted

regards
post #4 of 11 Old 06-21-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
IIRC, you have an EU version of the D8000 plasma, correct?

That is indeed an odd result. My suggestion would be to try posting in the D series calibration thread as well (under "Plasma Flat Panel Displays", see link below). As Miguel has noted, you must make sure the TV is set to movie mode/warm2 before beginning the calibration, but even with a cooler setting it should not cause that hump in the 10pt data (just an even shift in the blue level).

I just reposted a D series-specific workflow that you can reference to make sure you're starting out right:
Samsung D7000 & D8000 Settings/Calibration Thread
post #5 of 11 Old 06-21-2014, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had the same problem with mine, first try and I got great results, then I've been trying to replicate and from 30-80% I keep going down to -10 on the RGB controls.

What I did the first time was let it warm up for 2 hours, then used the AVSHD 709 bluray to calibrate it, doing multiple passes with power gamma 2.2 (If I use power gamma of 2.4 I get those odd results).

Here's the post calibration view (I used a i1d3, but not plugged when I screen captured the images):

Also:

My Room (old thread)
My current equipment:
Samsung UN55D8000. Marantz SR5005. Oppo BDP-103.
Denon DP-300F. AKG K-550 Headphones.
B&W 685 (fronts), HTM61 (center), 686 (Surr), Velodyne Impact-12.
Playstation 4, Xbox One.

Last edited by Asedious; 06-21-2014 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Added Grayscale and Gamma pic
post #6 of 11 Old 06-21-2014, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys, I will post my answers in the original post.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-21-2014, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Solved!

It was a wacked up test-pattern on the AVS-HD disc. The greyscale patterns under "Calman fields" wacks up my gamma readings completely. The Test patterns in "Calman windows" on the same disc produced this beautiful pre-calibration 10p white balance graph. It seems to be the 100% one in all categories under fields that is causing the problems.

If i change to the DVE-HD disc there are no problems and if I change back to the patterns under "Calman fields" the 100% one is completely out of whack in gamma readings.

The disc full name: AVS HD ITU-R BT.709

Last edited by mmmbeer2; 06-21-2014 at 01:18 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-21-2014, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

By the way guys; is there a shortcut function on Samsung TV's remote for reaching the same menu as you were previously in, by just pressing a single button?

The way I now calibrate I waste a lot of time going in and out of the correct menu every time I take a measurement. Getting in to white balance is a 20+ click operation on the remote. Every single time.

And yes; I must do this because the results gave to much blue when keeping the small menu-bar at the bottom of the screen while measuring.

Ps: If there is not, I think the developers should add it.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-21-2014, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes, thats a big issue, at least they should change how it's diaplayed, unfortunately there's no shortcut yet.

My Room (old thread)
My current equipment:
Samsung UN55D8000. Marantz SR5005. Oppo BDP-103.
Denon DP-300F. AKG K-550 Headphones.
B&W 685 (fronts), HTM61 (center), 686 (Surr), Velodyne Impact-12.
Playstation 4, Xbox One.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-21-2014, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmbeer2 View Post
Solved!

It was a wacked up test-pattern on the AVS-HD disc. The greyscale patterns under "Calman fields" wacks up my gamma readings completely. The Test patterns in "Calman windows" on the same disc produced this beautiful pre-calibration 10p white balance graph. It seems to be the 100% one in all categories under fields that is causing the problems.

If i change to the DVE-HD disc there are no problems and if I change back to the patterns under "Calman fields" the 100% one is completely out of whack in gamma readings.

The disc full name: AVS HD ITU-R BT.709

You never use full field patterns on a Plasma. That is your main problem. Window patterns, or window APL patterns for plasma only, at all times. The window pattern on the AVS HD 709 disk are a little too big for the plasma as well. Try Gamut Calibration Disk, or Maciola Calibration Disk, it has 10% window patterns which are more typically used depending who you ask.

Last edited by hungro; 06-21-2014 at 10:07 PM.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-21-2014, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmbeer2 View Post
By the way guys; is there a shortcut function on Samsung TV's remote for reaching the same menu as you were previously in, by just pressing a single button?

The way I now calibrate I waste a lot of time going in and out of the correct menu every time I take a measurement. Getting in to white balance is a 20+ click operation on the remote. Every single time.

And yes; I must do this because the results gave to much blue when keeping the small menu-bar at the bottom of the screen while measuring.

Ps: If there is not, I think the developers should add it.
You need to take your measurements with the menu off, it's pain in the butt but it's the way it works. So make your change with the menu on and then take a reading with the menu off.
Reply Display Calibration
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page