post #1 of 4 Old 06-27-2014, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Cool Dynamic Iris

Hi,

Forgive me If my question is too common but I really did try to search the calibration forum and that didn't seem to work.

What's the last word on Dynamic Iris?..

I've read reasons to turn it off while calibrating and that's fine though they also don't exactly make sense.

Moreover, If I turned off the Iris on my PJ and calibrated it and then turned it back on ... it would activate a completely different memory and I wouldn't be seeing my calibrated settings.

My projector (Sony HW30ES) has a dynamic iris and honestly I can take or leave it. Black level is fine without it. However, I never "see" it adjusting when I watch with it enabled and contrast ratio is much higher with it on. Also,... maybe it's wrong but If I do calibrate with the dynamic iris on (using full fields and giving the iris time to settle between measurements) I actually get a better gamma tracking!

So,... I'm here to learn... Someone tell me, should I forget the iris completely ... Should I calibrate with it on... Should I calibrate with it off and then find all the relevant settings and copy them into the memory used by turning it on?...

-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-27-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Hi,

Forgive me If my question is too common but I really did try to search the calibration forum and that didn't seem to work.

What's the last word on Dynamic Iris?..

I've read reasons to turn it off while calibrating and that's fine though they also don't exactly make sense.

Moreover, If I turned off the Iris on my PJ and calibrated it and then turned it back on ... it would activate a completely different memory and I wouldn't be seeing my calibrated settings.

My projector (Sony HW30ES) has a dynamic iris and honestly I can take or leave it. Black level is fine without it. However, I never "see" it adjusting when I watch with it enabled and contrast ratio is much higher with it on. Also,... maybe it's wrong but If I do calibrate with the dynamic iris on (using full fields and giving the iris time to settle between measurements) I actually get a better gamma tracking!

So,... I'm here to learn... Someone tell me, should I forget the iris completely ... Should I calibrate with it on... Should I calibrate with it off and then find all the relevant settings and copy them into the memory used by turning it on?...

-Brian
Calibrate means to set thing to a standard. If the thing you are setting moves every time the image changes there is no way to achieve a standard.
Turn it off and do you calibration.
Watch your projector for a couple of weeks with it off and include some things you don't mind watching more than a few times or something you like that has a wide range of scene changes, Game of Thrones is a good one. Another show that will drive and iris nuts and maybe the viewers is Royal Pains.. Many halve bright half dark scenes and instant switches from inside to beach daytime.

If you need to copy setting to a second saved location to turn it on, then do so as to be able to bounce back and forth.

Now watch the projector with it on and watch the same type of content. It should not take long for you to make your choice which you prefer.
My Iris is off on my Planar 8150, it does not work correctly but even if it did, I would not use it. The black level and contrast is what it is, and I want to see the content as it was filmed.
Brian Hampton likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-27-2014, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Thanks,

Mine is currently off even though it does work very well.

I had it off on my last projector also.

I don't even have the option of using it with 3D but I don't actually calibrate 3D ... I just calibrate for 2D,... for now.

I welcome other thoughts on the matter if anyone else has opinions or ideas.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-27-2014, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Anything with "Dynamic" should be left off for calibration.
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page