Gamma and Local dimming question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-27-2014, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gamma and Local dimming question

I have an LG 55LW5300 that was calibrated a couple of years ago. The TV has three Gamma settings: 1.9 ?, 2.2 and 2.4 . The tv menu for the calibrated input shows a gamma setting of 2.2 although the Calman report shows an average of 2.06. I'm assuming the calibrator used the 2.2 scale and adjusted in software. In addition, the local dimming feature was left on. I have never been happy with this because I seem to be particularly sensitive to blooming and halos; particularly on end credits, etc. I have found that turning local dimming off, changing the gamma to 2.4 and adjusting brightness and contrast with a test disc gives me a picture I'm happier with. My question is this; does changing the Gamma and local dimming have any adverse effect on the other calibrated settings (i.e. grayscale, white balance, color balance, etc.) ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-27-2014, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just because the TV is set to a gamma of 2.2 doesn't mean it is doing 2.2. During the calibration process, if the gamma is not reading 2.2 or close to it, you need to experiment with the other gamma settings available. Also, it is better to use the BT. 1886 formula to calculate gamma instead of just using 2.2 as a set number. As far as the dimming feature being left on... All sorts of external processing should be turned off during calibration otherwise you will not get correct results.

I would highly suggest recalibrating it properly. If you can't do it, make sure you hire someone who is legitimate like an ISF. Not Geek Squad
Reply Display Calibration
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page