Upgrading my calibration equipment ... on a budget. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-02-2014, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Upgrading my calibration equipment ... on a budget.

I am upgrading my primary movie watching setup from a 2010 42" LCD (LG LD520) to a 2013 60" Plasma (Samsung F5300).

I use the following to calibrate:

i1d2 Colorimeter (purchased from amazon in 2010)
HCFR Version 2.0 (I can't seem to figure out how to get the meter to work in newer versions)
AVS Pattern Disc

I recall hearing about how much better the new xrite D3 colorimeter is supposed to be and had planned on purchasing it along with either calman or chromapure, but was disappointed upon learning it would cost me around $600 - $700. It's just way out of my budget.

My i1d2 has been kept in a strict climate controlled environment in my home with cool temps ... but, as I understand it, it will have drifted by now regardless.

Question 1: Is there someone who offers a service for correction profiles that would work with my colorimeter and hcfr to ensure it is accurate? Should I even bother?

Question 2: I've read plasma's should not use the large pattern windows provided with the AVS disc. Which pattern generator disc should I purchase if thats the case?

Just trying to get prepared for my incoming 60 inch. I understand it is a set that responds well to good calibration and I'd like to be as ready as I can without breaking the bank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHomsey View Post
I am upgrading my primary movie watching setup from a 2010 42" LCD (LG LD520) to a 2013 60" Plasma (Samsung F5300).

I use the following to calibrate:

i1d2 Colorimeter (purchased from amazon in 2010)
HCFR Version 2.0 (I can't seem to figure out how to get the meter to work in newer versions)
AVS Pattern Disc

I recall hearing about how much better the new xrite D3 colorimeter is supposed to be and had planned on purchasing it along with either calman or chromapure, but was disappointed upon learning it would cost me around $600 - $700. It's just way out of my budget.

My i1d2 has been kept in a strict climate controlled environment in my home with cool temps ... but, as I understand it, it will have drifted by now regardless.

Question 1: Is there someone who offers a service for correction profiles that would work with my colorimeter and hcfr to ensure it is accurate? Should I even bother?

Question 2: I've read plasma's should not use the large pattern windows provided with the AVS disc. Which pattern generator disc should I purchase if thats the case?

Just trying to get prepared for my incoming 60 inch. I understand it is a set that responds well to good calibration and I'd like to be as ready as I can without breaking the bank.
The i1 Display Pro is a very good budget probe but I do not know where you are getting your prices from.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot-13.png (141.1 KB, 28 views)
post #3 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Keep an eye on the F5300 threads for good info.
Recalibrating your i1 would not be cost-effective. Too bad you missed the recent sale on the pro at B&H (you should keep an eye on the Great Deals thread, too ).
You might also be interested in the HCFR thread, where version 3.1.4 is available. Version 3 uses Argyll (?) drivers to be compatible with many more sensors.
Enjoy your new set. I love mine!
And my new i1Pro should be delivered today!
Michael

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #4 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by randal_r View Post
The i1 Display Pro is a very good budget probe but I do not know where you are getting your prices from.
Hey Randal,

I was referring to the hardware bundles offered @ chromapure ($569 http://www.chromapure.com/products-d3pro.asp) and spectracal's C6 ($695 http://color.spectracal.com/store/c6-colorimeter.html). The latter appears to be a rebranded i1 Display Pro, but I could be wrong.

You're right though, the most cost effective method is likely sticking with HCFR and purchasing a new i1 Display Pro, which appears to be $210 w/$20 mail in rebate @ amazon right now.

I guess I was hoping I could start working with better calibration software at a lower price point. At my level (I calibrate once every few years, and occasionally for friends/family) it's hard for me to justify a $500+ investment when I seem to manage okay with HCFR.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Keep an eye on the F5300 threads for good info.
Recalibrating your i1 would not be cost-effective. Too bad you missed the recent sale on the pro at B&H (you should keep an eye on the Great Deals thread, too ).
You might also be interested in the HCFR thread, where version 3.1.4 is available. Version 3 uses Argyll (?) drivers to be compatible with many more sensors.
Enjoy your new set. I love mine!
And my new i1Pro should be delivered today!
Michael
I've been reading through the F5300 threads, it's amazing how much useful information is packed into this forum. I actually decided upon the F5300 60" based primarily upon imagic's "why I bought a plasma in 2014" thread. Plasmas were crossed off my list after the panasonics went byebye. Luckily I took closer look at samsung's offerings and realized what kind of value is still out there (for now).

I'm a little concerned about the potential magenta push that imagic described in his thread but we'll see. Buzzing usually annoys me as well ... this is my first plasma tv ... hopefully it isn't too bad.

It's a bit confusing, wading through the calibration settings thread, when you have multiple respected sources with conflicting advice (keep cell light @ 20, adjust contrast for white level/ambient light! vs keep contrast @ 95, adjust cell light for white level/ambient light!). The concept of ABL scares me, from how its described it seems similar to the way the ambient light sensors work on LCD's, changing backlight ... very distracting. If keeping cell light locked in is required to keep ABL at minimum, I may have to go that direction. Lots of tinkering to do obviously... fun times.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 01:21 PM

Hi,

I could be wrong (and many will be quick to point it out), but I believe the the benefits and attributes of the C6 only work with the CalMAN software. I am not really familiar with the HCFR software but if it allows for meter profiling, then try to find a cheap i1Pro to profile the i1 Display Pro against. This will give you greater accuracy.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi,

I could be wrong (and many will be quick to point it out), but I believe the the benefits and attributes of the C6 only work with the CalMAN software. I am not really familiar with the HCFR software but if it allows for meter profiling, then try to find a cheap i1Pro to profile the i1 Display Pro against. This will give you greater accuracy.
Ah, I see.

I'll just grab an i1 display pro and call it done.

Can anyone recommend a pattern disc (preferably free to DL, like the AVS one) with smaller window patterns applicable for plasma?

I burned Ted's disc, but I couldn't figure out how to navigate it to get to the appropriate patterns.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 03:17 PM

post #9 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 147
This one will give more options: Mascior's Calibration Disc

Larry
post #10 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Ah, I see.

I'll just grab an i1 display pro and call it done.

Can anyone recommend a pattern disc (preferably free to DL, like the AVS one) with smaller window patterns applicable for plasma?

I burned Ted's disc, but I couldn't figure out how to navigate it to get to the appropriate patterns.
Hi, what calibration software are you using?

The disk menu structure is very simple and by using your player POP-UP or HOME Button you can navigate throu the full contents of the disk very quickly.

You can ask here or by using the Request Disk Support Form of my Site to provide you further details if you wish.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #11 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hey Randal,

That's my normal go-to pattern disc.

I read that the window patterns are unacceptably large for calibrating plasma using the AVS disc. ABL engages and skews the readings. I'm looking for something else with smaller windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post
This one will give more options: Mascior's Calibration Disc

Larry
Hey Larry,

I have not seen that one. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi, what calibration software are you using?

The disk menu structure is very simple and by using your player POP-UP or HOME Button you can navigate throu the full contents of the disk very quickly.

You can ask here or by using the Request Disk Support Form of my Site to provide you further details if you wish.
Hey Ted!

I only dabbled with your disc for a moment. The wife and I were in bed and she was not into looking at test patterns at that time. I'll wait until I have more free time and see if I can make more sense of it.

I'm currently using HCFR version 2.0 (I had some issues getting it to work with later versions, didn't feel like troubleshooting it so I just suck with 2.0 because it worked) with an i1d2. Will upgrade soon to the i1pro.

Thanks for your input everyone.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-03-2014, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Hey Ted!

I only dabbled with your disc for a moment. The wife and I were in bed and she was not into looking at test patterns at that time. I'll wait until I have more free time and see if I can make more sense of it.

I'm currently using HCFR version 2.0 (I had some issues getting it to work with later versions, didn't feel like troubleshooting it so I just suck with 2.0 because it worked) with an i1d2. Will upgrade soon to the i1pro.

Thanks for your input everyone.
Hi, after confirmation from Zoyd; the developer of current HCFR, the disk is officially compatible with HCFR Open Source Software. This has been discussed here & here.

So this makes the Ted's LightSpace Calibration Disk now compatible with all available calibration solutions below:

Since you are using HCFR, you can use some CalMAN and ChromaPure Chapters from current version of the disk to perform measurements with HCFR.

The available Disk Chapters that are accurate and match the HCFR's Color Engine Calculations are the following:

Note: Uncheck ''use round down levels" that is located to HCFR Preferencies -> General.

It's better to download the latest version of HCFR, If you download the HCFR 3.1.or later.... it's added CalMAN's ColorChecker SG measurements support; that made my disk the only available calibration disk with that feature, you can confirm that by checking the HCFR's Release Notes here.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #13 of 13 Old 07-08-2014, 01:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 358
get an i1D3 (active meter) and an i1Pro rev D (ref meter)... once u got these either get get CM/CP or start with HCFR if u are looking for 6pt cal only...

get the probes so u know ur readings are accurate otherwise u just waste a lot of time...

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools: Display Calibration Tools
meter: Klein K-10 A, i1Pro, i1D3
AVS thread: Lightspace & Custom Color Patch Set & Gamma Calibration on Panasonic 65VT60
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page