post #1 of 16 Old 07-03-2014, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Unhappy Xrite Problems trying to profile laptop

Hi,

I have an I1 Pro spectro and a i1 Display pro and I use them with HCFR and that much is just swell.

However, I recently got a new laptop to use for calibration and I thought it may be fun to calibrate the laptops own LCD.

So I installed i1Profiler and that tells me there are no licences for either of my devices.

So I installed i1 Match and that can not find any of my devices.

I'm fully lost now. My guess is the x-rite devices now use Argyll drivers so the bundled software doesn't see them.

Oh well,... heck, I think I give up unless anyone has any ideas. I guess I could change the driver temporarily then change it back.

-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-03-2014, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Hi,

I have an I1 Pro spectro and a i1 Display pro and I use them with HCFR and that much is just swell.

However, I recently got a new laptop to use for calibration and I thought it may be fun to calibrate the laptops own LCD.

So I installed i1Profiler and that tells me there are no licences for either of my devices.

So I installed i1 Match and that can not find any of my devices.

I'm fully lost now. My guess is the x-rite devices now use Argyll drivers so the bundled software doesn't see them.

Oh well,... heck, I think I give up unless anyone has any ideas. I guess I could change the driver temporarily then change it back.

-Brian
Hi Brian,

On this forum "ConnetTed" had posted a diagnostic program from Xrite. As for the software from Xrite; you will have to buy a licence. Here is the link to the diagnostic software: http://www.xrite.com/product_overvie...oftwareID=1453

Here are the drivers for the i1Pro: http://www.xrite.com/product_overvie...SoftwareID=768

Here is Xrite's support page: http://www.xrite.com/top_support.aspx?action=downloads
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Last edited by randal_r; 07-03-2014 at 05:45 AM.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-03-2014, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Probably. See here and look for "To switch between drivers" for instructions on how to switch them back again.

Don't contact X-Rite for problems that are not theirs - they won't be very receptive.
post #4 of 16 Old 07-03-2014, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Talking

Thanks for the replies.

I wasn't planning on asking X-rite for help... I was just planning on asking here...

All I wanted to accomplish was running X-rites own automated program that would setup the laptop LCD. I bought the retail display3 so I think I should be able to do that after making a temp switch of drivers.

Again.... Thanks for replies.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-03-2014, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey,

I tried to change the driver but the hardware manager kept saying I didn't have the 64bit version available.

So,... I officially gave up and removed all the X-rite software.

Thanks for suggestions. I put a hour or two toward it but I don't think it's stuff I can do.

I ran the Windows calibration app which aims to get the gamma correct and called it done.

-Brian
post #6 of 16 Old 07-03-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Why don't you use DispCalGUI? It uses the same Argyll engine as HCFR, but makes .icm profiles and can calibrate your monitor.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-03-2014, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Why don't you use DispCalGUI? It uses the same Argyll engine as HCFR, but makes .icm profiles and can calibrate your monitor.
Bingo! I was just coming back to say I bet I should use DisCalGui. It's been a while since I've used it but it won't be bothered by the Argyll drivers.

Great!!

=Brian
post #8 of 16 Old 07-03-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Bingo! I was just coming back to say I bet I should use DisCalGui. It's been a while since I've used it but it won't be bothered by the Argyll drivers.

Great!!

=Brian
Hi Brian,

The websites that I provided is not direct contact with Xrite but they do have software & drivers available for downloading without having to interact with them. First determine if the probes function before running off with secondary software. This is why you should download the diagnostic software first (along with the drivers). Once they are operational then play around with the other software. It is my hope that you will use deductive reasoning. First things first. By what I am interpreting by the postings you don't even have the probes working and tested; what makes you think the other software is going to magically make it work?
post #9 of 16 Old 07-03-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by randal_r View Post
Hi Brian,

The websites that I provided is not direct contact with Xrite but they do have software & drivers available for downloading without having to interact with them. First determine if the probes function before running off with secondary software. This is why you should download the diagnostic software first (along with the drivers). Once they are operational then play around with the other software. It is my hope that you will use deductive reasoning. First things first. By what I am interpreting by the postings you don't even have the probes working and tested; what makes you think the other software is going to magically make it work?
His first post stated that he had both meters working with HCFR. It's the X-Rite software he can't get to work.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #10 of 16 Old 07-03-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Thanks all... I do appreciate all the help.

I had used X-rite software with my previous laptop and the diagnostics were great to use when I first got the i1 pro spectro to check it's correct functionality.

I don't really object to the notion of getting the xrite software to work however, since I'm already using argyll drivers for both meters in HCFR the use of DisCalGUI is the perfect solution.

I just ran it and it's all good.

(I used the display 3 ... not the spectro but that's fine. My display 3 is very close to measuring exactly like my i1pro. And the results from DisCalGUI look great.)

Again... Problem solved here... Very happy now.
post #11 of 16 Old 07-03-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
His first post stated that he had both meters working with HCFR. It's the X-Rite software he can't get to work.
Re-reading the first post he stated this;

"I have an I1 Pro spectro and a i1 Display pro and I use them with HCFR and that much is just swell.

However, I recently got a new laptop to use for calibration and I thought it may be fun to calibrate the laptops own LCD."

By this statement it implies that another computer might have been utilized for calibration and the statement "new laptop" refers to a newer computer is being introduced. As ambiguous as any postings are, it is open to many views on interpretations. If you can shed any light to clarify the intent of the posting so that there is no question to it's interpretation, I would be grateful.
post #12 of 16 Old 07-03-2014, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I bought a new laptop to use (mostly) for calibration. So,... to try to clarify I was already using this new laptop with HCFR.

It just occurred to me it's default colors were heavy with blue so I thought it would be nice to calibrate the laptop also.

Never meant to cause much trouble. My first thought was loading the X-rite software would work. Then, my second thought was changing the driver back to X-rite's driver would work. (And that should have been the solution but I couldn't get this laptop to accept x-rite's driver.) Then, It dawned on me that DispCalGui should work and it worked beautifully and goes nicely along with HCFR because they both use the same driver.

My old laptop was XP and so it was time to get something newer.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-03-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I bought a new laptop to use (mostly) for calibration. So,... to try to clarify I was already using this new laptop with HCFR.

It just occurred to me it's default colors were heavy with blue so I thought it would be nice to calibrate the laptop also.

Never meant to cause much trouble. My first thought was loading the X-rite software would work. Then, my second thought was changing the driver back to X-rite's driver would work. (And that should have been the solution but I couldn't get this laptop to accept x-rite's driver.) Then, It dawned on me that DispCalGui should work and it worked beautifully and goes nicely along with HCFR because they both use the same driver.

My old laptop was XP and so it was time to get something newer.
Hi Brian,

Your posting did not cause any trouble and I am very happy that your issues has been resolved.

I always suggest that anyone keep and periodically run diagnostic software. If you don't, how will you know if anything is wrong?

My issue and comments with Rolls-Royce was an issue of reading comprehension and had no barring on you .

When you ever have another issue always remember the process of elimination but be sure that every component works properly before moving on to a more complicated process. It is easy to be mislead by many who will suggest to use various other software and methods. Make sure that any suggestions you may receive actually addresses the problem you have as there are many who as there are many who make proclaimations only to hear themselves speak.

Xrite's diagnostic program works both on the i1 Display Pro and the i1 Pro. By all appearances the i1 Display pro is free of having to load any drivers but the i1Pro does require them.

Hope everything has worked out for you.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-03-2014, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
(I used the display 3 ... not the spectro but that's fine. My display 3 is very close to measuring exactly like my i1pro. And the results from DisCalGUI look great.)
The i1 display pro/i1d3 doesn't typically use specific system USB drivers, instead using the default USB HID (Human Interface Device) driver, and therefore it should work with X-Rite S/W and ArgyllCMS without needing to do anything.
post #15 of 16 Old 07-04-2014, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgill View Post
The i1 display pro/i1d3 doesn't typically use specific system USB drivers, instead using the default USB HID (Human Interface Device) driver, and therefore it should work with X-Rite S/W and ArgyllCMS without needing to do anything.
Hello again..

since the topic wouldn't die I went for another look.

In my laptop the Display 3 was using an Argyll driver. I changed it to the USB HID driver and it still functioned in HCFR. Then, I re-downloaded X-Rite Profiler (for maybe the 4th time) but suddenly it worked. Wierd.

Ok so I guess problem fully solved... I also dl-ed the latest X-rite Diagnostics but since this Windows 8.1 machine has no proper start menu I haven't been able to find it yet... maybe it didn't actually install correctly... But I haven't used this latest 2014 version so that will be fun to run through too I suppose.

-Brian
post #16 of 16 Old 07-05-2014, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
In my laptop the Display 3 was using an Argyll driver. I changed it to the USB HID driver and it still functioned in HCFR. Then, I re-downloaded X-Rite Profiler (for maybe the 4th time) but suddenly it worked. Wierd.
Not weird, that's how it works. You can (optionally) install the ArgyllCMS LibUSB system drivers for the supported HID type instruments, and if you do so, other software won't be able to access them. But there is no reason to do this, which is why it is not recommended.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page