Opinions wanted on my calibration - HCRF plasma - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-09-2014, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Opinions wanted on my calibration - HCRF plasma

Hi guys, this is the first time I used the HCFR (just downloaded the latest version). I have read a lot, so I hope got it right.

My TV is a Samsung 60F5300 plasma, and I used a Colormunki Smile probe with the AVS HD 709 mp4 test patterns (I used the APL small Windows patterns to avoid ABL). I used the mp4 files directly from the pendrive on the TV. Is it ok?

I'll post the pictures comparing the before and after. Please tell me if I made it right? Thanks

Color Space before

Corrected:

Luma before:

Luma corrected:

Gamma before:

Gamma corrected:

RGB levels before

RGB levels corrected:

Color temp before:

Color temp corrected:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-09-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
From what you measured it looks pretty good. I'm not sure if the calibration settings will be the same for the HDMI inputs as the USB port though.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-09-2014, 05:31 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2890 Post(s)
Liked: 4563
It looks like you've done well.

Mark Henninger
post #4 of 7 Old 07-09-2014, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
From what you measured it looks pretty good. I'm not sure if the calibration settings will be the same for the HDMI inputs as the USB port though.
If I plug the USB stick on my bluray player, the TV will be fed via HDMI. Would this still be different than a burned disk input?

I did this USB calibration because I often watch movies from the USB port, so I think this must be calibrated also.

As for the disk input, as I can't burn a Bluray disc, is it exactly the same if I burn a DVD, or should I buy a Bluray disk calibration?
post #5 of 7 Old 07-09-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfas View Post
If I plug the USB stick on my bluray player, the TV will be fed via HDMI. Would this still be different than a burned disk input?
Maybe, maybe not. It depends if the blu-ray player processes the video from the USB port differently from how it handles a disc.

Quote:
I did this USB calibration because I often watch movies from the USB port, so I think this must be calibrated also.
A reasonable course of action if you watch movies from the USB port.

Quote:
As for the disk input, as I can't burn a Bluray disc, is it exactly the same if I burn a DVD, or should I buy a Bluray disk calibration?
You could use the AVCHD version and burn it to a DVD (assuming you have a DVD burner and your Blu-ray player can play AVCHD discs).
post #6 of 7 Old 07-09-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 68
It's the same disk patterns. No difference .

Unless you want straight perfection and turn this into a hobby I would say your in excellent shape
post #7 of 7 Old 07-10-2014, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers. I have just burned a DVD with AVCHD version and calibrated fine. The color parameters looked different - as expected.

Why HCFR changed my gamma reference to 2.4? Sometimes the reference were a curve starting somewhere to 2.1 and slowing increasing to 2.3 (as you can see in the chart on my first post), but now is a straight line at 2.4.

I didn't change anything in the preferences/options to do that. Why did that happened?

Also, my gama now is a straight line at around 2.3. Which gamma option is better to have, and which reference should I trust?

Here's what looks like now with HDMI input:

Thanks

Last edited by alfas; 07-10-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page