Calibration for Video Games (Wii U vitual game colors are way off) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-09-2014, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Calibration for Video Games (Wii U vitual game colors are way off)

Apologies if this topic is already under discussion. I see a lot of topics about RGB Limited and black levels, but not this. Essentially, I've always calibrated my TV to HD color settings (Rec 709) and assumed it was correct for my games systems since they are HD output. This includes Xbox 360, PS3, and PS4. But now that I've purchased a Wii U, I'm questioning if ALL games are coded for 709 or if video games still stick to 601. I don't know what any of them truly put out. But I do know the Wii U's virtual console is off. Is Nintendo just messing up and leaving them in 601, or is the whole Wii U coded to 601? As you can see in the photo, the sky in Super Mario Bros. is now almost purple. It's driving me nuts!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-10-2014, 09:00 AM

Liked: 16
Different color space (709 vs 601) does not cause the colors change as you show on the picture

Observe this reference:

Blue is always blue, and purple will always be purple

regards
post #3 of 5 Old 07-12-2014, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
When I played the new Mario Kart on my calibrated Samsung, the colors looked fine. I did notice however that it wasn't the same colors on TV in comparison to the Wii U Game Pad. I don't think the game pad meets calibration standards.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-12-2014, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Yeah, all the new games look great on mine and they appear to have proper colors. I double checked my TV and it is still calibrated correctly. It is only the Virtual console games that look off. I'm pretty sure something is up with how the games are coded. Looking at old magazine photos of Super Mario Bros. and a NES hooked up to a CRT, the skies are always nice and blue.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-12-2014, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I guess when you play virtual games, switch the picture mode to something more appropriate. Like when I play Halo with a guest over, I always have to change the aspect ratio from full to h fill (like stretch) since it doesn't fit the whole screen. Other games require making your TV darker like FIFA or Black Ops. It gets annoying but for some games you have to compromise.
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
601 or 709 , calibration , Wii U

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page