1Likes
  • 1 Post By pepsi

post #1 of 14 Old 07-11-2014, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Jeti 1211 Meter recertification

I was just wondering if anyone has had their Jeti meter recertified? Is shipping it back to Germany the only way to do this? Also, did you notice any difference in it's performance after certification?

I know the recommendation is to get this meter recertified annually but I'm just wondering if it's worth doing or if you take really good care of your meter and you only use it to profile is it more likely that you can stretch the recalibration period?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-11-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
SpectraCal can recertify the I1 spectros, but they can't do repairs. I haven't seen anything about them and the Jeti meters, though. There are calibration labs here in the US that can calibrate Minolta and other spectros, perhaps even the Jetis. Some of those labs are/were here in CA. You may want to google spectrophotometer calibration.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #3 of 14 Old 07-11-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 349
I had to send my Jeti 1211 back to Germany at a cost of $1100 and I was without it over a month.

I would like it if Spectracal would be able to recal spectros. They can recertify them, basically check if it's within a given tolerance, but if it's off they can't do anything about it.

No, I did not notice a large difference after sending it to Germany. They do send a report of the differences. They also update it to the latest FW.

Yes, it's entirely feasible to stretch the time. Spectros are mainly thrown off by shock/impact, not aging over time.

touring calibrator
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old 07-11-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
I had to send my Jeti 1211 back to Germany at a cost of $1100 and I was without it over a month.

I would like it if Spectracal would be able to recal spectros. They can recertify them, basically check if it's within a given tolerance, but if it's off they can't do anything about it.

No, I did not notice a large difference after sending it to Germany. They do send a report of the differences. They also update it to the latest FW.

Yes, it's entirely feasible to stretch the time. Spectros are mainly thrown off by shock/impact, not aging over time.
Hey Chad, early 2015 when I will send my JETI 1211 for re-certification, I will take measurements before sending it to various displays, to help me to check for differencies pre vs. post certification.

There is a lot things that JETI engineers are doing on every JETI 1211 Re-certification, they really know what they do.

As we know JETI is a laboratoty meter that is used for a tons of other applications excluding display calibration.

Here is the list of things they check during each re-certification work that it takes some days:

intake measuring check

mechanical and optical alignment test

firmware and software update

wavelength check and possibly recalibration (low pressure discharge lamps HgA (Screen shot see below)

sensitivity recalibration

Spectral Radiance with OL 455 (Gooch & Housego, traceable to NIST)
Spectral Irradiance with OL 200/ UV 40 (Gooch & Housego, traceable to NIST) → Set up see below

automatic test measurements (3 times on 20 different spectra) to check device stability, device intercomparability and comparability to a reference unit (CS-2000 of Konica Minolta)

issuing of the calibration certificate (example)

As for re-certification pricing for 2014:

675 euros / ~ $920 (JETI 1211-L / 1211 without illuminance recalibration)

1.103 euros / $1.500 (JETI 1211 - both modes are recalibrated / luminance + illuminance)

Above prices don't include VAT, add +21% to above prices more for EU.

PhotoReseach has similar prices, for example for PhotoResearch PR-670, the re-certification costs about 2.000$

S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #5 of 14 Old 07-11-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
They also update it to the latest FW.
Yes, but we have to wait until CalMAN will finally start using the JETI's latest SDK (3.2.3 that was released @ 28 June 2013!)...each firmware updated JETI with firmware versio 2.0 for specbos 1201 or firmware 3.0 for specbos 1211 can use these SDK's.

Since now CalMAN is using older SDK's earlier from 2013.... maybe this is related to the fact that it's already reported that it takes about the double time to measure the same patch with CalMAN vs. other software solutions.

S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #6 of 14 Old 07-14-2014, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Chad,

What shipping solution did you use and how much did you insure it for?
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-15-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Yes, but we have to wait until CalMAN will finally start using the JETI's latest SDK (3.2.3 that was released @ 28 June 2013!)...each firmware updated JETI with firmware versio 2.0 for specbos 1201 or firmware 3.0 for specbos 1211 can use these SDK's.

Since now CalMAN is using older SDK's earlier from 2013.... maybe this is related to the fact that it's already reported that it takes about the double time to measure the same patch with CalMAN vs. other software solutions.
Ted, you should have np with CM not using the latest SDK for the 1211, as long as you are profiling your K10 using ChromaSurf and LiVal for the WRGB readings on your 1211. As I outlined to you the other day.

Now Chad doesn't have the option that we have, so unless he can manually input the WRGB readings he takes using his copy of LiVal into CM and what ever he uses for his WRGB readings for his D3. He may have a problem.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

post #8 of 14 Old 07-15-2014, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Everyone should be profiling the K-10's with Klein's software / saving in the Klein's memories itself IMO (since the beginning)

NOTE: Not all the 3rd Party Applications will utilize the Klein's memories..

Need to find a Professional Calibrator?
me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #9 of 14 Old 07-16-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi View Post
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Chad,

What shipping solution did you use and how much did you insure it for?
I bought the meter from Tom Huffman/ChromaPure, and I decided to go through him instead of dealing with Jeti myself. So I sent it to him, and he sent it off to Germany for me. I'm pretty sure FedEx was used.

touring calibrator
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

post #10 of 14 Old 07-16-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Now Chad doesn't have the option that we have, so unless he can manually input the WRGB readings he takes using his copy of LiVal into CM and what ever he uses for his WRGB readings for his D3. He may have a problem.

ss
Don't be silly. It shouldn't be a problem. It's not like all of a sudden I will get inaccurate readings from the Jeti with CalMAN, though of course I'd prefer to have the speediest and most efficient readings and that's why I'm looking forward to see CM support the latest SDK.

touring calibrator
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

post #11 of 14 Old 07-16-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Don't be silly. It shouldn't be a problem. It's not like all of a sudden I will get inaccurate readings from the Jeti with CalMAN, though of course I'd prefer to have the speediest and most efficient readings and that's why I'm looking forward to see CM support the latest SDK.
You misunderstand, I could care less about CM having the latest Jeti SDK. It's Ted that thinks it's a problem.
As I said I use my K10-A/CromaSurf to store and analyze my meter profiles from both the K10 and the Jeti. I use Jeti's LiVal software to take the readings of the 1211, because it does have the latest SDK. Then I manually enter the readout from LiVal xyY, XYZ and RGB readings into ChomaSurf, then CS analyzes the reading from both meter's and tells me how close the meter profile really is.
As you know the Jeti 1211 can be a bit touche when used on a TV like the VT60. So when used to profile any color meter and software like CM (Using outdated SDK, per Ted) you just have to cross your fingers and hope the meter profile comes out well. In my case I want to know how well my meter profiles come out before I calibrate.

btw, from what turbe posted you brought your 1211 used, is this the first time you sent it back to Jeti.? If so how long have you owned it.?

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

Last edited by sillysally; 07-16-2014 at 10:55 AM.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-16-2014, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 29
wow, that is a chunk of change to spend yearly
post #13 of 14 Old 07-16-2014, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
If the unit is cared for, as many do, and relatively low use, ie just for profiling. Then it is likely not drift out of spec over a number of years. It really depends on use, care and if the NIST is required.

For broadcast arena, yearly is more or less required, for home AV I believe you can easily stretch this out to 2~3 years without worry.

I spoke with jeti about this specifically, although ultimately yearly checks are recommended they have found they are typically still within spec upon the yearly checks. Conclude what you need from that.

PS They recommended that a reference light source could be used to locally check stability.

Masterpiece Calibration Ltd
Christchurch NZ

Last edited by <^..^>Smokey Joe; 07-16-2014 at 05:11 PM. Reason: PS
post #14 of 14 Old 07-16-2014, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by <^..^>Smokey Joe View Post

PS They recommended that a reference light source could be used to locally check stability.
See this thread for some discussion of this idea.
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
certification , jeti , nist

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page