DPT-94 Upgrade Questions.. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 2 Old 07-11-2014, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
DPT-94 Upgrade Questions..

A little background first...
I have a few questions about current & future color management requirements and potential upgrade to my X-Rite DTP-94 (Monaco Optix XR) sensor. I am routinely calibrating multiple NEC monitors using SpectraViewII software (internal LUTs) and the DPT-94 for my photography hobby. The DPT-94 might be a great tri-color sensor, but hasn't been calibrated or checked since purchased years ago and from what I have read it doesn't do well on wide Gamut monitors (which i just got recently). So I have started to become concerned with the color accuracy of my calibrations.

Second, I have an old, by AVS Forum standards, plasma TV (Pioneer PDP-6070HD) that has no color management system (CMS) onboard which has a fairly strong red push in grey scale that I would like to calibrate out when I move it to solely bluray Home Theater use (currently in the family room). To do this effectively, I believe I would need to use something like the eeColor LUT holder and CalMAN or other software. I'll be getting a new TV for the family room, perhaps a Panasonic or Visio LCD that I would like to calibrate (still looking into which would calibrate easily at a reasonable cost).

Since I must keep the SpectraView calibration capability, I'm quite limited on the choice of new pucks. The top two options are the X-Rite i1Display Pro or X-Rite i1Pro 2 Spectrophotometer. I can't get the SpectraCal C3 or C6 since I don't think they work with the SpectraView software

So the questions....
1) Could I just get the i1Pro2 spectro and calibrate/profile the DPT-94 to use on the plasma/LCD TVs? (Using CalMan)
2) The major complaint about the i1Pro2 is that it is "slow" and "not sensitive to low light levels", but compared to the DPT-94 and the fact i will be only using it in contact mode (no projector planned, did that years ago and $400 light bulbs every year or two was annoying for my household), is this really an issue?
3) I don't know what kind of LUT size the SpectraView software uses (but it isn't big), but the eeColor box is HUGE and could take a LONG time to calibrate with a slow meter. I would likely set the system to autocalibrate overnight, so is the i1Pro2 just fine for this or do I really need to calibrate the DPT-94 to speed up the measurements?

Thanks for the help!!

I think IÂm addicted to placebos!!!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 Old 07-12-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
Sponsored Links
Reply Display Calibration
Gear in this thread