1Likes
  • 1 Post By J_E_F_F

post #1 of 13 Old 07-17-2014, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
DIY Calibration of a new HDTV

I have 10 year old 720p max, no HDMI input TVs; I am planning to replace them later this year, and get with the 1080p HDTV times.

I do not have a DVD or Blu-Ray player, though I stream HD content from a local server or from the net.

I'd like to calibrate my new TVs, I am not a videophile but I'd like things to look nice.

Would I be better off buying a Blu-Ray player and a Disney WOW disk, that I'd use only for that, and then disconnect them and put them in the closet for ever, or would I be better off buying a X-Rite CMUNDIS ColorMunki Display. Cost for the two setups would be similar.

Assuming the results for the ColorMunki would be the same or better, I'd feel better buying that over the Blu-Ray equipment.

Do the two options offer similar types of final visual calibration for the home user?

Remember, this is for HDTV viewing, not a computer monitor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-17-2014, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Why would you not USE the blu ray player if you bought it? How are you currently streaming content? Many blu ray players will allow you to stream content from other devices in the home.

If you must, I would see if you might be able to borrow a blu ray player from someone before paying for one. Although you could always return it to the store lol. As far as cal. discs go, I've never tried the disney WOW disc or the Colormunki but have always heard good things. I personally own a Spears & Munsil disc and that worked just fine for me.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-17-2014, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not into disks, I ripped all my CDs to MP3 11 years ago, and my DVDs to MP4,etc. I use WD Live media players to stream audio and video around the house from the local file server or from the internet. i don't see myself renting or buying blu-ray disks,... ever. I did talk to a buddy about borrowing a blu-ray player, and that is an option. If the Colormunki does the same type of calibrations without relying on my old eyes, that may be the best route for me. I'm just not sure if it does things like sharpness, etc. I like computer gadgets and I could use it for all 4 TVs and we have several laptops that I could calibrate. I just want to be sure it does TVs correctly as that is my main concern.
post #4 of 13 Old 07-18-2014, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_E_F_F View Post
I have 10 year old 720p max, no HDMI input TVs; I am planning to replace them later this year, and get with the 1080p HDTV times.

I do not have a DVD or Blu-Ray player, though I stream HD content from a local server or from the net.

I'd like to calibrate my new TVs, I am not a videophile but I'd like things to look nice.

Would I be better off buying a Blu-Ray player and a Disney WOW disk, that I'd use only for that, and then disconnect them and put them in the closet for ever, or would I be better off buying a X-Rite CMUNDIS ColorMunki Display. Cost for the two setups would be similar.

Assuming the results for the ColorMunki would be the same or better, I'd feel better buying that over the Blu-Ray equipment.

Do the two options offer similar types of final visual calibration for the home user?

Remember, this is for HDTV viewing, not a computer monitor.

You would need a pattern source and software for the ColorMunki, so would most likely need a bluray player anyway.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #5 of 13 Old 07-18-2014, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have and have used WOW, it's a good start and better then nothing. I just got an X-Rite Display 3 PRO Colorimeter, it's a higher end maybe from the ColorMunki but the same method in calibration as far as I know. Haven't used it yet but it's much more involved in its use. I also use the BR player to stream from my NAS which works great. I tried streaming from the Roku 3 I have but with poor results for some reason.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-20-2014, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Since you don't want to own any disks or blu-ray, just borrow your friend's blu-ray and buy one calibration disk. Simple as that. Otherwise, buy a meter and install software on a laptop and a pattern generator (like a blu-ray player) and do a full on calibration.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-21-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 263
You don't need to buy a DVD/Blu Ray player or a WOW/calibration disc.

All you would need is a D3 meter, HCFR calibration software.
You can use your PC to generate the color patches on your TV, if your PC has a HDMI output.

HCFR software is Free, I think it uses madVR and also Argyll's matrix for the D3 meter.
So the only cost to you is the D3 meter.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-21-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Old version of "The Guide", which has a good intro and better (IMO) explanations and deals with HCFR:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457
New version, which, understandably, plugs ChromaPure more:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322
HCFR thread:
HCFR - Open source projector and display calibration software
Calibration disc:
AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration

Downloadable FREE demo discs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?

Last edited by LastButNotLeast; 07-21-2014 at 10:35 AM.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-21-2014, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

My original thoughts were to buy a calibration disk, and borrow a blu-ray player for it.
It seems that the cal disk and the meter do different things. It seems the meter is more for colors and the disks are for everything else. Is that accurate?
post #10 of 13 Old 07-21-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 252
No. With a disc you can set brightness and contrast, color and tint (with a blue filter or blue-only setting on your set) and sharpness.
You need a meter for color, yes, but also for white balance and gamma. The source images that the meter is measuring are on the disc, of course.
The "Guides" explain it pretty well.
The AVS disc is available as mp4 files, but a BDP would be more convenient.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #11 of 13 Old 07-23-2014, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

great, thank you
post #12 of 13 Old 07-23-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_E_F_F View Post
It seems that the cal disk and the meter do different things.
Hi, if you like you can see at this post what you can/can't do with a calibration disk.

S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #13 of 13 Old 07-24-2014, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

very informative, thank you
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page