Sony TRILUMINOS technology - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By nuke

post #1 of 11 Old 07-19-2014, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Sony TRILUMINOS technology

Hi,

Does this TRILUMINOS technology have any value?... Am I right in thinking I should double check to make sure my current stuff doesn't have it and if it does have it I ought to try to dis-able it.

-Brian

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 07-19-2014 at 04:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-19-2014, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 607
If your post is serious ?

It can't be disabled, it is a special coating used in the manufacturing process. I have seen positive reviews regarding the Sony sets that have it.

64F8500
55ST60
Harmony 650
Sony XT1 Soundbase
OPPO 103d
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
post #3 of 11 Old 07-19-2014, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Oh I thought it was a alternative color space.... Thanks.

Some blu ray players offer it as a "feature" so it's not simply part of display manufacture.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-19-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

No problem
post #5 of 11 Old 07-19-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Oh I thought it was a alternative color space.... Thanks.
Supposedly, it makes it possible to display a much *wider* color space than REC709/SMPTE-C ... approaching REC2020. The question remains as to whether that native colorspace can be pulled back in to REC709, without resorting to LUT boxes.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-20-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
If your post is serious ?

It can't be disabled, it is a special coating used in the manufacturing process. I have seen positive reviews regarding the Sony sets that have it.
Are you shure about that? Triluminos Display

Seems that the 2013 Sony Triluminos ''is a new backlighting method'' ''which includes Color IQ''
http://www.cnet.com/news/what-are-qu...-your-next-tv/

So in 2013 Sony Triluminos included the use of Color IQ (Quantum Dots). In 2014 however Sony stopped using Color IQ and replaced it by white LEDs while still using the name Triluminos, and still claiming that ''a Triluminos display is using more colors to produce a more vibrant picture.''
http://store.sony.com/84.6-diag-x950...id-Sony-HD-TVs
post #7 of 11 Old 07-20-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
Are you shure about that? Triluminos Display

Seems that the 2013 Sony Triluminos ''is a new backlighting method'' ''which includes Color IQ''
http://www.cnet.com/news/what-are-qu...-your-next-tv/

So in 2013 Sony Triluminos included the use of Color IQ (Quantum Dots). In 2014 however Sony stopped using Color IQ and replaced it by white LEDs while still using the name Triluminos, and still claiming that ''a Triluminos display is using more colors to produce a more vibrant picture.''
http://store.sony.com/84.6-diag-x950...id-Sony-HD-TVs
So you are saying that can be turned on and off ? Even if you could why would you want to ?
post #8 of 11 Old 07-20-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon
So you are saying that can be turned on and off ? Even if you could why would you want to ?
No, my respons was not about wether or not Triluminos could be turned on or off. My respons is about your claim that Triluminos is ''a special coating''.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-20-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
No, my respons was not about wether or not Triluminos could be turned on or off. My respons is about your claim that Triluminos is ''a special coating''.
Okay I stand corrected
post #10 of 11 Old 08-02-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 106
The Tri-Luninous thing is just a Sony trademark buzzword. It applied on the 2013 4k sets which used "Color IQ Quantum Dots". For 2014, it applies to the white LED backlight system. It

It is a little technical what that means exactly. LED's produce light at a single wavelength. To get white light, you need red, green and blue. The way white LED's work is they produce light at a blue wavelength at the semiconductor P/N junction. On top of the semiconductor is a layer of phosphor that absorbs some of the blue and emits red and green light wavelengths.

A phosphor is a chemical substance and it produces light at somewhat diffuse wavelengths. It is also hard to get the right wavelengths of red for use in display technology. It is the chemistry that determines the color of light it produces.

The Color IQ Quantum Dot is a lot like a phosphor, but it operates on a different principle than the molecular phosphor. The Quantum dots are tiny particles (nano particles) of cadmium with another material such as zinc sulphide or cadmium selenide coating it, like a candy shell on an M&M. It works a lot like a semiconductor in that the junction between the two layers is what makes it work. The Quantum Dots are manufactured to produce light at precise wavelengths. Chemically, the red and green dots are the same, but the way they are manufactured determines color it produces when blue light strikes it. The emitted wavelengths are also very narrow in spectra, which means the light is more precisely centered on the wavelengths of red, green and blue needed for backlighting the LCD display.

If you took the panel apart, you'd find an array of blue LED's along the side, with a yellow looking glass strip in between the LED's and the plastic light spreader that is behind the LCD itself. The yellow looking glass is what has the Quantum Dots in it and is the origin of the "Triluminous display."

Since "Triluminous" is Sony's own trademark, they can apply to anything they please. For 2014, Sony believes they have white LED's that are worthy of the trademark.
CalWldLif and spacediver like this.

nuke
post #11 of 11 Old 08-04-2014, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke View Post
The Tri-Luninous thing is just a Sony trademark buzzword. It applied on the 2013 4k sets which used "Color IQ Quantum Dots". For 2014, it applies to the white LED backlight system. It

It is a little technical what that means exactly. LED's produce light at a single wavelength. To get white light, you need red, green and blue. The way white LED's work is they produce light at a blue wavelength at the semiconductor P/N junction. On top of the semiconductor is a layer of phosphor that absorbs some of the blue and emits red and green light wavelengths.

A phosphor is a chemical substance and it produces light at somewhat diffuse wavelengths. It is also hard to get the right wavelengths of red for use in display technology. It is the chemistry that determines the color of light it produces.

The Color IQ Quantum Dot is a lot like a phosphor, but it operates on a different principle than the molecular phosphor. The Quantum dots are tiny particles (nano particles) of cadmium with another material such as zinc sulphide or cadmium selenide coating it, like a candy shell on an M&M. It works a lot like a semiconductor in that the junction between the two layers is what makes it work. The Quantum Dots are manufactured to produce light at precise wavelengths. Chemically, the red and green dots are the same, but the way they are manufactured determines color it produces when blue light strikes it. The emitted wavelengths are also very narrow in spectra, which means the light is more precisely centered on the wavelengths of red, green and blue needed for backlighting the LCD display.

If you took the panel apart, you'd find an array of blue LED's along the side, with a yellow looking glass strip in between the LED's and the plastic light spreader that is behind the LCD itself. The yellow looking glass is what has the Quantum Dots in it and is the origin of the "Triluminous display."

Since "Triluminous" is Sony's own trademark, they can apply to anything they please. For 2014, Sony believes they have white LED's that are worthy of the trademark.
nice info

Loving D65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration