AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Display Calibration (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/)
-   -   Calibration question (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/1610090-calibration-question.html)

brwsaw 07-20-2014 01:32 AM

Calibration question

Will 4k or UHD content make video/display calibration simpler?
What specific considerations does higher pixel count add into the mix?

Michael TLV 07-20-2014 05:17 AM

Greetings

Pretty much nothing at all. A gray box is a gray box is a gray box.

People just have to be seated way closer to the TV than before to benefit from the extra pixels. (This really messes up the audio experience part of the equation of course.)

Regards

kjfalls 07-20-2014 09:25 AM

It will make a difference when adjusting sharpness. 4K will allow more detail and the ability to see smaller line detail on a test pattern. Sharpness adds noise to the edges of the lines and noticeable when viewing text. More sharpness may cause you to lose detail.

Michael TLV 07-20-2014 10:00 AM

Greetings

Even for sharpness ... at typical viewing distances ... it makes no difference at all. Only if you decide to sit at 1.8 x picture height or closer to the TV does it matter. And most people are never that close.

I haven't seen anyone that will move closer to their TV because it is UHD. Certainly not anyone that cares about their audio.

regards

curlyjive 07-31-2014 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael TLV (Post 25893994)
Greetings

Even for sharpness ... at typical viewing distances ... it makes no difference at all. Only if you decide to sit at 1.8 x picture height or closer to the TV does it matter. And most people are never that close.

I haven't seen anyone that will move closer to their TV because it is UHD. Certainly not anyone that cares about their audio.

regards

I'm going to get all near field monitors and sit with my nose touching the screen:D

If the finalized UHD spec. incorporates a wider color gamut and HDR, will that affect calibration at a fundamental level a all? Other than needing software that understands the new colorspace and patterns for it, the process should be the same. For HDR, I wouldn't think so either.

brwsaw 07-31-2014 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael TLV (Post 25893994)
Greetings

regards

We already sit close, true UHD or 4k is most welcome. Thankfully its a ways away yet.

sotti 07-31-2014 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curlyjive (Post 26187714)
I'm going to get all near field monitors and sit with my nose touching the screen:D

If the finalized UHD spec. incorporates a wider color gamut and HDR, will that affect calibration at a fundamental level a all? Other than needing software that understands the new colorspace and patterns for it, the process should be the same. For HDR, I wouldn't think so either.

Rec.2020 doesn't include anything for HDR. HDR is coming from Dolby and so far hasn't been standardized by SMPTE or IBU, to my knowledge.

Also the Rec.2020 spec is a pipedream for color reproduction and in general simply a bad spec that appears to be marketing driven with little sound color science behind it. It doesn't even specify a EOTF (gamma function). Hopefully it'll never truly go into use.

curlyjive 08-01-2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sotti (Post 26196994)
Rec.2020 doesn't include anything for HDR. HDR is coming from Dolby and so far hasn't been standardized by SMPTE or IBU, to my knowledge.

Also the Rec.2020 spec is a pipedream for color reproduction and in general simply a bad spec that appears to be marketing driven with little sound color science behind it. It doesn't even specify a EOTF (gamma function). Hopefully it'll never truly go into use.

The more I read about the pending UHD specification and the phased in way it will be implemented, the more I feel good about upgrading to a JVC RS4910 now. I want more than just a resolution increase, and the full implantation of a UHD spec seems a ways out....not to mention the content.