UN50HU8500FXZA Looking for Calibration Settings Samsung 4K HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-22-2014, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
UN50HU8500FXZA Looking for Calibration Settings Samsung 4K HDTV

My buddy just picked up the Samsung UN50HU8500FXZA, which is a 4K TV and I was looking for calibration settings on it. Maybe too new of a model, just curious if anyone knows if other model Samsung's calibrations would work on this unit?

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN50HU8500FXZA

PSN ID: DoucheVader
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-22-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoucheVader View Post
My buddy just picked up the Samsung UN50HU8500FXZA, which is a 4K TV and I was looking for calibration settings on it. Maybe too new of a model, just curious if anyone knows if other model Samsung's calibrations would work on this unit?

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN50HU8500FXZA
'Sharing display menu settings?'
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055906
post #3 of 7 Old 07-22-2014, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB View Post
So AVSForum isn't a great place to get shared TV Settings anymore?

I couldn't find the forum for this TV, I am not a regular here, but an old school member. I appreciate the link to the forum, it doesn't appear to be from someone in an official capacity of AVSForums.

I understand that sharing settings is short of doing proper calibration, but I have to be honest, every TV I have owned I got the settings off of AVS Forum. I have never been disappointed with the results.

I don't want to screw with the TV for hours, I just want some settings that "un-do" the factory bright, washed out look. I am not going to care if my skin tones are off by 2-5%.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-22-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
So AVSForum isn't a great place to get shared TV Settings anymore?......
Not in this section of the forum. Perhaps you need to read the linked thread again. This is the "Display Calibration" section. Copying settings is not calibration. You have been directed to the part of the forum where such activity is practiced. If you don't see a thread for your make and model, you can start one. There are also other sources for settings information on the web. Try CNET or TweakTV.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-22-2014, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB View Post
Not in this section of the forum. Perhaps you need to read the linked thread again. This is the "Display Calibration" section. Copying settings is not calibration. You have been directed to the part of the forum where such activity is practiced. If you don't see a thread for your make and model, you can start one. There are also other sources for settings information on the web. Try CNET or TweakTV.
Next time you can just say I am posting in the wrong forum rather than link me to a post with lots of info not really relevant to me posting in the wrong forum. :-P

post #6 of 7 Old 07-22-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Next time you can just say I am posting in the wrong forum rather than link me to a post with lots of info not really relevant to me posting in the wrong forum. :-P
The link was from the "sticky" threads at the top of this section of the forum. "Stickies" are typically preserved for enduring educational value pertinent to the topical nature and context of a given part of the forum. Popular myths (such as swapping settings being a reliable practice) can be dispelled, corrected, and/or diminished through education. The linked thread explains why you were in the wrong section of the forum, where you could go if you persist in wanting to engage in copying other people's settings, and some tips on more reliable options for approaching an accurate TV image.

Misinformed forum members come here regularly to seek settings for their TV, in a misbegotten quest for some kind of a short cut to better picture quality. "Better picture quality," in video industry terms, requires calibration. Swapping settings can and has actually resulted in a less correct image than factory presets provide in some cases. Varying viewing environment conditions can also have a substantial effect on what settings values are appropriate.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-02-2014, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If your friend has the money to buy a 4k TV, he should spend an additional 300-600 dollars in getting it properly calibrated. I wouldn't advice sharing settings. Every TV is different, even if they are the same model and make.
Reply Display Calibration
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page