Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-25-2014, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Calibrating TV For PC Games?

Hi,

My Computer is connected to my LCD 50" screen. I was doing some research on how to Calibrated the LCD to PC Video-Games,. Most of the people suggested to make sure my ATI Driver outputs 0-255 (I can set my LG TV to output "Full RGB"). I used AVSHD for calibration, but no matter which Player I'm using (Media Player Classic, VLC), the brightness and contrast are clipping. I was able to "Solve it" by installing upsilon mixer.

Problem is that I'm pretty sure Upsilon mixer does not work when I play video games. I'm also not completely sure if AVSHD is the right tool to calibrate Video Games. Is DirectX games uses the same brightness contrast settings of a Video File?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-25-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall-Guy View Post
I'm also not completely sure if AVSHD is the right tool to calibrate Video Games.
Video and the desktop are somewhat disconnected on a computer. Many computers will scale the video to the desktop in a way that might work, but it's also possible that the video may not match the desktop values. Using a video calibration tool isn't necessarily ideal for what you're trying to do. I'm not familiar enough with calibrating the computer desktop to really comment further.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-25-2014, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 56
It should work if you have the output to display set at Full 0-255 (which looks like you've done this part) and also under advanced video color - enable and set dynamic range to 0-255 also.

Then WMP or Powerdvd etc.. video players should output video playback as 0-255.

Edit: Looking at the video players you've mentioned, they can be configured internally, so If you need to use them you will also need to make sure they're configured correctly too and output 0-255 (default will be 16-235).

Last edited by -Hitman-; 07-25-2014 at 12:20 PM.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-25-2014, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
Video and the desktop are somewhat disconnected on a computer. Many computers will scale the video to the desktop in a way that might work, but it's also possible that the video may not match the desktop values. Using a video calibration tool isn't necessarily ideal for what you're trying to do. I'm not familiar enough with calibrating the computer desktop to really comment further.
Is there any "Desktop" calibration tool? are DirectX games using "Desktop" calibration? or they have different set of settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hitman-
It should work if you have the output to display set at Full 0-255 (which looks like you've done this part) and also under advanced video color - enable and set dynamic range to 0-255 also.
When you say advanced Video Color you mean on the Computer ATI settings?
post #5 of 7 Old 07-25-2014, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Hi,

My Computer is connected to my LCD 50" screen. I was doing some research on how to Calibrated the LCD to PC Video-Games,. Most of the people suggested to make sure my ATI Driver outputs 0-255 (I can set my LG TV to output "Full RGB"). I used AVSHD for calibration, but no matter which Player I'm using (Media Player Classic, VLC), the brightness and contrast are clipping. I was able to "Solve it" by installing upsilon mixer.

Problem is that I'm pretty sure Upsilon mixer does not work when I play video games. I'm also not completely sure if AVSHD is the right tool to calibrate Video Games. Is DirectX games uses the same brightness contrast settings of a Video File?
Thanks.
Using PC Levels means video has to be expanded from Video Levels (16-235) to PC Levels (0-255). Thus, in your AVS Black Clipping pattern, Bars 16 and below contain RGB 0, Bar 17 contains RGB 1, and so forth, though scaling is obviously necessary to pack 0-255 into the 220 bars in the video range. You will never see bars < 17 or > 235 when using PC Levels, because the former all contain RGB 0, while the latter all contain RGB 255. OTOH, when using Video Levels, the bars contain the the RGB values they are labeled with, and then it's possible to see BTB and WTW.

As for games, they use PC Levels. If you don't have a meter and software, I think the best way to adjust your TV for PC Levels is with images designed for that. I often see people link to:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
post #6 of 7 Old 07-26-2014, 01:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Is there any "Desktop" calibration tool? are DirectX games using "Desktop" calibration? or they have different set of settings?
You can use any calibration software for your desktop.

Quote:
When you say advanced Video Color you mean on the Computer ATI settings?

Yes it's in the ATI CCC under - Video\Advanced Video Color.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-26-2014, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post
As for games, they use PC Levels. If you don't have a meter and software, I think the best way to adjust your TV for PC Levels is with images designed for that. I often see people link to:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
I actually used Windows 7 Calibration agent. And the results are not bad. But I'll check the site your provided.
Thanks for the help guys!
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page