Help with Vizio Color Calibration - what tools to use? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-29-2014, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Help with Vizio Color Calibration - what tools to use?

I recently added a Vizio LED television to our home's collection and I'm having difficulty calibrating the color. I have Kane's Digital Video Essentials which I've used to calibrate my projectors but unless I'm missing something I'm not sure how to use it to properly set all the advanced color temperature settings on my Vizio (red/green/blue gain and offset settings) which I think need some work. Is there something else better suited for adjusting these settings to get my colors looking better? I'm not looking to get it perfect like my theater PJ but all my other tv's look so much better than the Vizio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-29-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Greetings

First things first ... perfection is out of reach if you have a $200 tool ... or a $12000 tool or a $120000 tool ... there are no perfect TVs. Expectations of perfection are unrealistic.

http://www.tlvexp.ca/2013/03/poor-tv...ity-not-happy/

Give this article a read. It covers your real options for getting to a better image on the TV. Real tangible results. The only real path to better viewing.

A summary is:

1. Get a test disc and follow the instructions. (free-$40) If you follow the instructions correctly ... things get better ... if you don't ... well. (you are here ...)

2. Get hardware and software along with the test disc and learn how to do all this yourself. Spend the next year scrounging around on the net looking for info. You might get to a better picture eventually. ($150-$500) Just like buying a pro camera does not mean you suddenly take professional level pictures. Learning to build a house is not included when you buy a hammer.

3. Hire a good professional to calibrate your TV and you get to the best end result in about 3-4 hours. ($250-$450) If you hire a bad one ... well who knows what you end up with. This is not unique to the world of calibration ...

4. Get professional level training along with the hardware and software. Training can cost ($100-$2000) and paying more does not guarantee you get better training. Add this to the hardware and software costs. You can actually get pretty damn good training for as little as $100 ...

You will get out of this what you put into it.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 Old 07-30-2014, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I calibrate my Samsung TVs at home and in the office with a Spyder4TV HD. I think it's the affordable tool for TVs. For that use it's enough for me, works fine...
post #4 of 15 Old 07-30-2014, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben.carmona View Post
I calibrate my Samsung TVs at home and in the office with a Spyder4TV HD. I think it's the affordable tool for TVs. For that use it's enough for me, works fine...
I looked at the Spyder4 which conceptually looks exactly like what I was looking for but from what I could tell it doesn't support advanced color adjustments for temperature (red, green and blue gain and offset). Can you confirm one way or the other?
post #5 of 15 Old 07-31-2014, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What it will set on mine is Brightness, Contrast, Color (Gain/Offset), and Color Temperature.
As far as I see it can't do it with the red, blue and green regulators singularly. But I'm not sure if it isn't being shown because my TV just hasn't got these regulators.

If you want to be sure you should ask the Datacolor Support:
http://support.datacolor.com/index.p.../RenderForm/17

Please post it here if you find out, would be interesting to know. ;-)
post #6 of 15 Old 08-02-2014, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Since you seem new to advanced calibration, I would recommend looking into buying a C3 meter from Spectracal along with their free Calman 5 Basic workflow. As you become more comfortable, you can upgrade from Basic to Advanced.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-04-2014, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZKACAL View Post
Since you seem new to advanced calibration, I would recommend looking into buying a C3 meter from Spectracal along with their free Calman 5 Basic workflow. As you become more comfortable, you can upgrade from Basic to Advanced.
Looks promising. I went to the website bit I couldn't determine if the C3 will support advanced color adjustments for temperature (red, green and blue gain and offset). Can you advise? Also is there software for Mac or does it only run on Windows?
post #8 of 15 Old 08-04-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Greetings

Yes ... that is the main purpose of the software with the c3 .. to help you do grayscale ... white balance. ... (And if you don't know what this is, you really shouldn't be fiddling with the TV at all.)

(It runs on windows ... or a mac running a windows OS)

Regards

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 15 Old 08-04-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV View Post
Greetings

First things first ... perfection is out of reach if you have a $200 tool ... or a $12000 tool or a $120000 tool ... there are no perfect TVs. Expectations of perfection are unrealistic.

<<<Snip>>>

Regards
That may be, but with the right hardware and software you can get pretty darn close.

That's why I took on the hobby of DYI calibration, never bought any books or how to classes.

The biggest problem for the consumer is the lack of a large number of color patches used,
when making a before and after calibration report. Without really understand what a display can and can't do, you really can't get most display to the best they can be.
And of course the software and hardware is very impotent in a pension calibration, saying the calibrator really knows how to use it.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

post #10 of 15 Old 08-04-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Greetings

Yes, if you spend enough money ...

And since nothing here is perfect, when an imperfect instrument tells you that you are perfect ... are you?

Hammers don't teach people to build houses.

Pro cameras don't turn people into pro photographers.

The instruments don't make the calibrator ...

regards

post #11 of 15 Old 08-04-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello Helmsman and Michael.

For Helmsman, please see this post I just posted. Food for thought.
Can I calibrate a TV with an i1 Display Pro?

Michael.

Isn't that one of the reasons why folks hire pro's. Because they have spent the money for the best tools and know how to use it.

"imperfect instrument tells you that you are perfect ... are you?"
I think you answered you own question. Of-course not. What is you point asking that.??

"Hammers don't teach people to build houses.."
Your above analogy is rather point less, considering the fact that the software is mostly automatic and that is what controls meters and the calibration in general.
That is why I posted links, how to use the software. All the interested user has to do is read the how to link and deiced for themselves.
iow, what I have done is point the OP in the right direction. I think my approach to helping the OP is better than saying searching the web for a year, or Hammers don't teach people to build houses.
Wouldn't you agree.???

"The instruments don't make the calibrator", of course not. But reference instruments will improve the quality of the calibration saying you know how to use and setup those reference meters. Don't you agree???
btw, I don't consider a D3 or I1pro reference grade.

What meter or meters do you use for a home calibration, and how do you setup a meter profile matrix for the display you are working on. ???
What types of display calibration's do you offer the Home use customer.
How many color points do you use in your before and after calibration reports.??

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

post #12 of 15 Old 08-04-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Greetings

I have seen some calibrators do better jobs with a color munki spectro versus others that used a CS 200 ... so that is my point.

There is also more to calibration than just the hardware and the software. This stuff covers about 30% of the process ... not 100% of the process. Over half of the DIY'er that tell me they got the other 70% right turned out to be wrong. Everyone says they got it right ... (not quite like that in reality)

Show me a graph that shows a perfect picture and I show you a graph that is perfect ... but leads to a crappy image ... so what is your point? Software and hardware never lies?

And when it does, how does a person know? Why the software tells you. I'm lying this time ...

regards

post #13 of 15 Old 08-04-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello Michael.

Yes I know you use a CS 200 in your training classes. How does that old saying go, put a infinite number of monkeys together and what will happen. (see I can do the same thing as you)
Do you use the CS 200 for your home calibration customers.??
What spectro do you use to do a profile matrix for your CS 200 on the display you are calibrating ???
And what software do you use to make the profile matrix.??
As we both know a CS 200 is a very slow meter and therefore, it really isn't practical to use on site for a home calibration. You may want to look into A K10-A that would improve your read time.
The newest cutting edge type of calibrations I do now, if I used a CS 200 I would grow old waiting for the calibration to complete.

Yes and I am sure I could come out with my meters and software and show your clients for home calibration the same thing about your calibration. But then again you are not claiming your calibration anywhere near reference .
But we digress, my point is and you just proved it. By using a very limited number of color patches, the DIY calibrator looks at the after report that shows acceptable 2000dE's and good charts and thinks its close to reference. The same thing can apply to any pro calibrators reports.

So are you saying that your calibration reports can't lie.???
Why are avoiding my question, what I asked you was how many color points do you use in your pre and post calibration reports for your home clients.???

Why aren't you replying to my simple question's???
Why are you just replying with here say, and pointless analogy's???

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

post #14 of 15 Old 08-06-2014, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV View Post
Greetings

Yes ... that is the main purpose of the software with the c3 .. to help you do grayscale ... white balance. ... (And if you don't know what this is, you really shouldn't be fiddling with the TV at all.)

(It runs on windows ... or a mac running a windows OS)

Regards
Perfect, then this is exactly what I'm looking for. Just wish it would run on my Macbook. Will have to use my wife's HP laptop (groan!).
post #15 of 15 Old 08-13-2014, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I respect the DYI calibrators but you don't do them injustice. Your name "SiilySally", definitely suits you. The reason Micheal does not respond to you is because you are like a novice telling a professional how to do what they have done for numerous years. Seeing your militant approach and lack of respect, I feel sorry for you.

Last edited by randal_r; 08-14-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page