AVS Forum banner

Benq W1070 HCFR first time calibration LF critique

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  mystigiandoll 
#1 · (Edited)
Hoping to get a few looks at my calibration to find out where I may have erred and where I can make improvements. I have done a LOT of research (so much more than meets the eye!) and have made multiple passes and finally at a spot where I may have done it right....I hope!

Benq W1070 is the display using HCFR. AVCHD disc in the PS3 for the patterns. i1 Display Pro meter was on a tripod a couple inches off the screen. If there is any more info that is needed let me know, I think I got the important stuff.

I may go back and have another pass at Yellow, I may be able to get that lined up a touch better. Green was just a pill, I guess I chalk that up to the limitations of my particular unit cause it would not correct nicely.

I paid close attention to luminance this time around (that is one thing I failed to grasp on my initial attempts) so hopefully that all looks good. The biggest spot where Y was interesting was in the gray scale. I had to really dance between 30 and 80 (only have 2 point gray scale to work with) to not only get the proper dE but to also get Y as close to target Y as possible. I had to drop the RGB offset massively in order to achieve that as my gamma was quite a bit off in the lower IRE range. Everything seems to look right but I haven't seen any other Benq W1070 calibrations that dropped the offset controls that much so I am a little concerned.

Thanks for taking a look, still learning here but I think I am getting there!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Greetings

for the copying setting crowd ... food for thought ...

http://www.tlvexp.ca/2012/12/the-fru...oneer-lottery/

This article discusses the real odds that you are facing when you decide to copy settings. And that is what you are asking.

Summary .. you have less than 4% chance to do better than stock settings in the TV. That said ... you have a greater than 96% chance of doing no better or worse than the same stock settings. But since you can never verify without gear and knowledge if you are truly in the 4% or 96% group ... the stats don't matter and it is simply a game to find settings you like ... liking .. doesn't make it correct ... 2+2=98 ... I can like that a whole lot, but it is still wrong. You just swap out one type of wrong answer for another one since the correct answer does not matter to you.

If verification is not important to you, then you are no longer talking about calibration ... and why are you in a calibration forum ...?

it gets even worse for projectors ... because now you have to consider the room.

What color are the walls?
What color is the screen?
What color is the ceiling?
What color is the floor?
What color is the furniture?

All these things have an even greater effect on the end result than just the settings themselves. Context kinda matters ... you think ... :)

Regards

Reactions: h2c
#4 ·
I also had issues with green when calibrating my 1070, must be something inherent with the projector.

#5 ·
Greetings

Pretty graphs are just that ... pretty graphs. They are not always an indication of good pictures. Instruments can lie ... and graphs certainly can. Add to that ... the grayscale and CMS parts of the equation are only about 30% of the process. If you messed up the other 70% ... then a perfect 30% doesn't matter much anymore.

What does the picture actually look like?

Regards

Reactions: h2c
#6 · (Edited)
Room is completely black...black walls, black ceiling, 0 windows.

So with the equipment I have and going through all the steps of measuring, reading, and configuring to get what is most accurate according to my meter is only 30% of the process...what is the other 70%? I started this thread to learn, so critique away...but just remember I am not a professional and this is not how I am trying to make a living...so I am doing the best I can with what I have in the entry level. The picture to me looks good but I only had a chance to watch about 20 minutes of The Hobbit before I had to turn in so hopefully will get more viewing time in the next couple days with other material to check it out.

Crazyhog I can give you my settings if you want them but in all honesty they differ greatly from every other Benq W1070 calibrated settings that I see.

Cheyc how did your gamma track? I am throwing a 145 inch screen and using 2.2 gamma. About 10-30% grays Y were really high so I had to drop the offset a ton (my offsets are around 239) in order to hit near the Y target. From there I danced back and forth since the offset changed the brighter grays and ended up at that happy medium for gray error and Y target. I was able to get low gray errors and gamma that tracked fairly close....but I don't see many other people doing that so I am wondering if that is not what I should be doing. Or are the numbers I see correct and I should be happy with what I got?

#7 ·
Actually ... within the universe of all possible displays ... your results look pretty darn good for the $$$ and lack of multipoint greyscale controls. I think that perhaps we've become somewhat "jaded" in our pursuit of absolute "perfection." To be honest, further improvement at this point would probably involve 3D LUTs and external processors.

#8 ·
Thanks for taking a look at it! Ya I could definitely tell some limitations with the projector that could only be perfected with external equipment but I had fun learning more about how much is involved in delivering a picture and doing the best I could with the controls the projector had.

#9 ·
The other 70% would be to make sure all the gear you are using is fully updated or ready to use (like the PS3, your projector, and that it is warmed up). Also making sure the reference levels are matching from source to source (like YCbCbr instead of RGB on the PS3). Then of course setting the brightness, contrast, color, tint, and sharpness does the bulk of the work.

#10 ·
Yap I did all that. In general I would say using HCFR and a colorimeter can be quite confusing for a beginner so it took a long time so once I ran a calibration where I thought everything was set up correctly I figured to post it and get any tips for going forward or to see if there was an error somewhere.

So far seems everything is good to go so I am feeling pretty good about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.