New Kuro owner here - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-06-2014, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New Kuro owner here

I recently purchased a Pioneer Kuro 5020FD with an 111FD board in it. Because these TV's are practically meant to be calibrated, I've been doing a ton of research on tv calibration. Considering that Geek Squad is the only tv calibration service in my area, I've decided to try to do a decent tv calibration myself. So i've been researching into colorimeters like the i1Display Pro and the ColorMunki display. But after all the research i've done, I still cant really find the answers that I'm looking for. From my understanding, from a hardware standpoint, the i1Display Pro and the ColorMunki are basically the same thing, the ColorMunki just takes a little longer to do the same job. But if i were going to use 3rd party software with the colorimeter, like HCFR, it seems like it wouldn't matter which of these meters i had, correct? However, after all of the research that i've done, I still cant find a single guide that shows how to use the HCFR software. I would love some advice on what you all think my best options are to calibrate myself at a reasonable price and a guide on how to use the HCFR software. Thanks in advance.

And i keep coming across this guide when i search "HCFR Guide" into google and I'm not sure why it keeps coming up considering its a guide for the ChromaPure software, not HCFR. http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322

Last edited by Powers16; 08-06-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-06-2014, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers16 View Post
From my understanding, from a hardware standpoint, the i1Display Pro and the ColorMunki are basically the same thing, the ColorMunki just takes a little longer to do the same job. But if i were going to use 3rd party software with the colorimeter, like HCFR, it seems like it wouldn't matter which of these meters i had, correct?
Read this thread, in particular the last two posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers16 View Post
However, after all of the research that i've done, I still cant find a single guide that shows how to use the HCFR software. I would love some advice on what you all think my best options are to calibrate myself at a reasonable price and a guide on how to use the HCFR software. Thanks in advance.

And i keep coming across this guide when i search "HCFR Guide" into google and I'm not sure why it keeps coming up considering its a guide for the ChromaPure software, not HCFR. http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322
Here you go

Congrats on the kuro
post #3 of 4 Old 08-06-2014, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
Read this thread, in particular the last two posts.

Here you go

Congrats on the kuro
Thank you very much! I love the TV

Since that guide was written in 2008, the colormieters discussed in that guide are older colorimeters. What newer colorimeter would you personally recommend that you would consider the best for the money? I read that Kal stated in the first sentence of that post that there is a new guide available now but it seems like the only new guide available is for the Chromapure software, not the HCFR software. Has the software stayed so similar since 2008 that a new HCFR guide is not needed?
post #4 of 4 Old 08-06-2014, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 75
You'll be fine with HCFR - think of HCFR as a means to provide feedback on your calibration. As for instruments, someone else should answer - I only have experience with CRTs.
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page