Trouble with Grayscale on Samsung LN52 630B - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-14-2014, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Trouble with Grayscale on Samsung LN52 630B

I am recalibrating my 630B after replacing my Oppo 83 with an OPPO 103D (the OPPO 83 bit the dust).

Its been about 4 years, and I am having a problem at 10IRE I have attached two shots of the data... And ideas why there is that nast dip at 10IRE - any suggestions would be helpful!

I will be going back to revisit this, but i am wondering if i may have to dip into any service level settings. The Cal controls are pretty good on the 630, so I am guessing not, but this is frustrating.

Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grayscale-LN-52-630B.gif
Views:	51
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	211505  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-14-2014, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

...and here is the RGB....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RGB.gif
Views:	50
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	211513  
post #3 of 9 Old 08-14-2014, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Wow that's odd. The rest of the graph looks fine though. And it doesn't look like the 10 is favoring any color. I'd only worry about it if it's bothering you when watching content.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-19-2014, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Try bring down the contrast a few clicks,
post #5 of 9 Old 08-22-2014, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

alright, and thanks for the suggestion....

i was thinking of redoing the calibration with a differs gamma setting on the TV. this first time I had bumped up the gamma setting, primarily because I felt the shadows were getting lost. Funny that the 10IRE took a big dip.

Overall, I wish I could get the gamma curve better, and the RGB a lithe straighter. That is why I was wondering if accessing the serve settings might be of help in tweaking. Its an older set, and maybe adjusting the service setting might give me a little more latitude for adjusting.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-26-2014, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoreiwo View Post
I am recalibrating my 630B after replacing my Oppo 83 with an OPPO 103D (the OPPO 83 bit the dust).

Its been about 4 years, and I am having a problem at 10IRE I have attached two shots of the data... And ideas why there is that nast dip at 10IRE - any suggestions would be helpful!

I will be going back to revisit this, but i am wondering if i may have to dip into any service level settings. The Cal controls are pretty good on the 630, so I am guessing not, but this is frustrating.

Thanks all!

I tried to locate the user manual on line but had no luck. Looking at the images that you forwarded, I noticed that the "Y" value is lower than the "Target Y" at 10% & 20%. The 10% is 0.1011 lower and the 20% is 0.355 lower. This is what is causing the jump above the yellow reference line on the "Gamma Log" chart at 10% & 20%. All the rest of the percentage points for "Y" are higher than the "Target Y" there by causing them to be below the yellow reference line. Study the the charts, it is self-evident that both charts are conveying the same information. I do not know if the display is a 2 point or a 10 / 20 point grayscale system. If it is a 10 or greater, adjust the "Y" value as close to the "Target Y" value. If this is a 2 point grayscale, try adjusting the 80/30 the "Y" closer (if you can), to the "Target Y". If the display tracks linear this should rectify the problem. I have notice on various models of Samsung, that they do not always track linear but I would give it a try.

Last edited by randal_r; 08-26-2014 at 07:25 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-29-2014, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

I do the 11 point calibration 0-100%. Of course, the set only has the offset/gain for the white balance. I wish it had adjustments for each level, I'd love it. So it is always a juggling act between the cuts and gains.

I found an old cal from 2009....it was much, much better! But the set has tons of hours on it, i don't think it has the legs anymore. As I mentioned, if there was a way in the service menu to adjust some of the settings, maybe it would be possible. I just think its just age and wear.

I may tinker with it, but the answer may be that it just ain't possible given the age of the set.

I will look at the 30/80 windows again to see what I can do....
post #8 of 9 Old 09-01-2014, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

OK - I think my set is just old and tired....

And another thing.... I redid the cal using the supplied Get Gray disc. Interestingly the numbers were way different that what I got using the AVS HD disc! (Worse than the AVS HD for the record). I am using the C3 meter from SpectraCal.

So i did a little experimenting with the color gamut, and find that I can enter a swing from 0 to 100 on either RGB and the reading change minimally if at all - I'd be willing to put it down to reading variability. The White Balance does however still effect the Gray calibration readings as expected, so I can get that fairly well set. my bizarre dip in the 10IRe is still a mystery, and I think that too is a result of simply a well used set.

If anyone case to suggest a solution, I would be willing to give it a shot, but for now, I won't obsess over that, as I feel I just can't adjust the set to any great degree an longer.

I welcome viable ideas!!
post #9 of 9 Old 09-01-2014, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The White Balance does however still effect the Gray calibration readings as expected, so I can get that fairly well set. my bizarre dip in the 10IRe is still a mystery, and I think that too is a result of simply a well used [IMG]http://*******/Wdbwyv[/IMG]set.
Reply Display Calibration
Gear in this thread - 630B by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page